ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jan 20, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #1,636 of 1,778
I’ve had both the K10 and the Encore. Different presentation than the L4. Don’t get me wrong, I think the L4 are very good, I just found them an intense listen that doesn’t suit what I’m looking for. After having owned several Fearless models and things like the Blessing 2, S8 and A8... there’s a kind of tuning I think that doesn’t quite do it for me personally.
I would take these over the Blessing 2 though as these have the bass I was hoping the B2 would have.
What would you find yourself preferring over the L4s? Any specific Fearless models?

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #1,637 of 1,778
What would you find yourself preferring over the L4s? Any specific Fearless models?
I really enjoyed the S8F when I had them but that's a fair bit more expensive. For the price, the L4 is a fantastic deal, just not the ideal iem for me and had I not just updated my main iems then I might have been more inclined to keep them longer. Who knows, once the brain might have accepted the new signature, I might have really liked them more.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #1,638 of 1,778
Jan 22, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,640 of 1,778
How L4 compare to oxygen or nm2+?

Own both but kinda interested with L4
I have experience with the L4 and the Oxygen but not the nm2+. I would say they have rather opposing sounds. Personally, I thought the L4s to be more detailed and energetic while the Oxygen is more laid back. Oxygen is fuller and has more body on the lower end, while L4 is thinner with more punch and faster decay. They are both well-performing pairs so... I guess they're a good combo to have for different moods haha.

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #1,645 of 1,778
DSC00777.jpg

KBEAR Believe ($180), NF Audio NM2+ ($169) and the Thieaudio Legacy 4 ($199)

Starting from the KBEAR Believe, I feel this IEM is for purists. It is for people who want to hear everything, but want it arranged in a friendly, musical manner.
Believe is deceptive in a way that it initially sounded like an analytical IEM on a low powered device, but feed enough juice, it instantly revealed warmth and rhythmicity.
I feel that Believe is also not very forgiving of badly mastered albums and when there is a mismatch elsewhere in the chain, it will let you know about it.
That being said, they are not harsh or clinical. I could tune the Believe to a good extent to match my personal preferences by tip rolling and a combination of source and cable matching.

Compared to the L4, Believe has punchier and more textured mid bass and there is bit more breathing space and depth in the mids. L4's bass while clean and extends well into the lowest octave, lacks little bit of mid-bass texture to be fully engaging for me. A timbral characteristic and a transient behavior is more agreeable with the Believe as well since I can still detect many of hybrid shortcomings with the L4 namely lack of coherency, compressed dynamics and BA treble. In a midrange region, Believe's decay is better, there’s more ease and it doesn’t project singers right into your face but are instead more natural in the portrayal of the sound-stage. It is big and forward when needed but not leaping at you by default like the L4 (maybe caused by lack of dynamics here).

Moving onto the NM2+, it can easily sound dry, sharp and too controlled compared to other two especially if you use sources that are too aggressive.
In a speaker enthusiast's term, NM2+ has very narrow sweet-spot. But once it's dialed in and you are sitting at an optimal angle, NM2+ provides overall very refined sound, especially in the treble region which is second to none. When compared to the Thieaudio's offering, NM2+ seems to provide leaner bass, countered by rounder, sonorous and clearer mids with more extended highs. L4's sound is also felt slightly less dimensional and more of a wall of sound than the NM2+. The NM2+’s overall balance and natural tonality are remarkably convincing, their dynamics are sufficient to bring immediacy and impact to musical interjections, intimacy and body to most acoustic instruments.

Now finally the L4, I see an attempt where once we aspired to those semi affordable, trickle-down designs from the high-priced TOTL models.
However L4's appeal has just been eclipsed by not so much a trickle-up as a tidal surge in ambitious models from manufacturers who excel in delivering affordable performance without fancy driver counts. Now this may sounds like a harsh criticism, but no don't get me wrong, L4's tonality is very sound and it boasts good technical performance. It just lacks bit of character that distinguishes itself from the rest: A sea of other very competent sounding mid priced IEMS.

My personal ranking : Believe > NM2+ > L4

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #1,646 of 1,778
This review I agree with 100%, though I have not heard the Blessing 2.......so it’s basically everything else he has to say.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #1,647 of 1,778
72DFF194-6F67-418C-82B1-EE16C57BA9C2.png

Keep in mind the 8K peak is coupler resonance.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,648 of 1,778
DSC00777.jpg

KBEAR Believe ($180), NF Audio NM2+ ($169) and the Thieaudio Legacy 4 ($199)

Starting from the KBEAR Believe, I feel this IEM is for purists. It is for people who want to hear everything, but want it arranged in a friendly, musical manner.
Believe is deceptive in a way that it initially sounded like an analytical IEM on a low powered device, but feed enough juice, it instantly revealed warmth and rhythmicity.
I feel that Believe is also not very forgiving of badly mastered albums and when there is a mismatch elsewhere in the chain, it will let you know about it.
That being said, they are not harsh or clinical. I could tune the Believe to a good extent to match my personal preferences by tip rolling and a combination of source and cable matching.

Compared to the L4, Believe has punchier and more textured mid bass and there is bit more breathing space and depth in the mids. L4's bass while clean and extends well into the lowest octave, lacks little bit of mid-bass texture to be fully engaging for me. A timbral characteristic and a transient behavior is more agreeable with the Believe as well since I can still detect many of hybrid shortcomings with the L4 namely lack of coherency, compressed dynamics and BA treble. In a midrange region, Believe's decay is better, there’s more ease and it doesn’t project singers right into your face but are instead more natural in the portrayal of the sound-stage. It is big and forward when needed but not leaping at you by default like the L4 (maybe caused by lack of dynamics here).

Moving onto the NM2+, it can easily sound dry, sharp and too controlled compared to other two especially if you use sources that are too aggressive.
In a speaker enthusiast's term, NM2+ has very narrow sweet-spot. But once it's dialed in and you are sitting at an optimal angle, NM2+ provides overall very refined sound, especially in the treble region which is second to none. When compared to the Thieaudio's offering, NM2+ seems to provide leaner bass, countered by rounder, sonorous and clearer mids with more extended highs. L4's sound is also felt slightly less dimensional and more of a wall of sound than the NM2+. The NM2+’s overall balance and natural tonality are remarkably convincing, their dynamics are sufficient to bring immediacy and impact to musical interjections, intimacy and body to most acoustic instruments.

Now finally the L4, I see an attempt where once we aspired to those semi affordable, trickle-down designs from the high-priced TOTL models.
However L4's appeal has just been eclipsed by not so much a trickle-up as a tidal surge in ambitious models from manufacturers who excel in delivering affordable performance without fancy driver counts. Now this may sounds like a harsh criticism, but no don't get me wrong, L4's tonality is very sound and it boasts good technical performance. It just lacks bit of character that distinguishes itself from the rest: A sea of other very competent sounding mid priced IEMS.

My personal ranking : Believe > NM2+ > L4

This has me excited lol. My Believe should be in tomorrow, fed into a BTR5. Curious as hell how it'll go. Fingers crossed they won't need a balanced cable to get enough juice from the BTR5.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #1,649 of 1,778
Hi Everyone! I hope everyone is doing good!
I am considering buying Mangird Tea. Also comparing Legacy 5, Legacy 4 and Fiio FD5 with these. I love bass (mostly listen to EDM - not dubstep so not fast bass but Trap so heavy sub-bass type, and slow vocal songs - mostly hindi with male/female vocals and multiple instruments like guitars, flute etc.) but also love finding micro-details and separation of instruments and their relative position. Sorry I am new to the hi-fi world. Any help would be appreciated. I currently own BGVP DM6 (want to go step up from them) and UE900. I love BGVP for its details and stage but all or most of my EDM drops become too sharp so I cant vibe with it at higher volumes. On lower volumes it is okay. Please help. Thank you in advance!

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #1,650 of 1,778
looking to get my first set of customs to see if they're really all they're cut out to be. would the legacy 4 the best choice vs the legacy 3? i saw reviews of people saying the 4 is a clear upgrade over the 3 to the point where they sold their 3's days after listening to the 4's but I've also heard people say the 3's are much better to listen to music with than the 4. i would be using them a lot and i listen to a wide variety of genres (jazz, bossa nova, indie pop, rock, edm, dnb, etc) if it helps anyone give advice.
I saw a review on here that said that the 4 was like a "better tuned" kxxs, which i love so hopefully other people think the same about that and that'll make the decision a bit easier for me.

also one last question, hows the process for linsoul do their customs? do i have to get molds somewhere and send them the files? or do they send a sort of kit and you send the molds back?

thanks in advance to anyone who can help, i really appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back