ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jul 17, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #947 of 1,778
My L3 set is so very good, to my ears. I do have training as an audio engineer and listen to high end studio equipment, but not a lot of experience with high priced iems though. I listened for hours a few nights ago, and was amazed (again) how well they sounded, extremely smooth and fairly detailed as well. To me, that is the biggest strength of L3: resolving enough to be a little forgiving and keep a smooth timbre, and a tuning that is fairly accurate and a bit fun too. (Maybe that is boring to some, idk?) mine is also extremely isolating too, to the point that when I took them off I realized that a clock was alarming in the house (battery dying and making weird alarm sound) that I couldn't hear at all. Kind of made me worried to wear them further in bed/asleep though!
Although I like bl03, Urbanfun, and others, I hear problems with them - in comparison to my L3, it's much better.
Maybe I got lucky too, but I'm sure my ears are hearing a great set.

we actually have the same iems too, bl03, urbanfun

and I agree with your opinion, fairly detailed, I think the treble even sparkles for me lol reminds me of my launch DM6

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #948 of 1,778
Received the balanced 16core kbear cables for my dx160 today.
Hoping it would do magic to my l3s.
Well rip..
Im thinking of contacting dd audio store or linsoul. I cannot believe u guys would love this set..?
Bass, 40% vs urbanfu ybf
Mids, a mess..XD
Treble, what treble!
Overall tonality is very poor to me, i mean i cant even turn up the volume because it gets shouty its awfull to listen to.
Also,
received the fd1 today, and have it on sale after 10 min.. Sounds like a kz model. Tin can... source; dx160 se standard cable. This iem should cost like 5 usd max Imo. Does not come close to the slamming bass, sparkling treble of the urbanfun ybf. Or another example, got the cheap vk4 in today aswel. Sounds way better then the fd1... sorry but thats last iem im buying that hifi dreams recs.
Dont know what to buy next im scared to buy expensive iems from china.. look what i got from thieaudio, wich i tought was one of the best out there.
Maybe i should enjoy my urban.. but there is always a hunger for more,better..
Thanks guys

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #950 of 1,778
Received the balanced 16core kbear cables for my dx160 today.
Hoping it would do magic to my l3s.
Well rip..
Im thinking of contacting dd audio store or linsoul. I cannot believe u guys would love this set..?
Bass, 40% vs urbanfu ybf
Mids, a mess..XD
Treble, what treble!
Overall tonality is very poor to me, i mean i cant even turn up the volume because it gets shouty its awfull to listen to.
Also,
received the fd1 today, and have it on sale after 10 min.. Sounds like a kz model. Tin can... source; dx160 se standard cable. This iem should cost like 5 usd max Imo. Does not come close to the slamming bass, sparkling treble of the urbanfun ybf. Or another example, got the cheap vk4 in today aswel. Sounds way better then the fd1... sorry but thats last iem im buying that hifi dreams recs.
Dont know what to buy next im scared to buy expensive iems from china.. look what i got from thieaudio, wich i tought was one of the best out there.
Maybe i should enjoy my urban.. but there is always a hunger for more,better..
Thanks guys
Have you tried multiple tips and are SURE you're getting a good seal?
Are you certain the polarity of your cables are correct (no phase issues)?
If you have, and other iems sound good to you, then I definitely think your set is faulty.
I bought mine directly from Linsoul, and do not have any experience with returns--hopefully someone else here can help you.
Honestly, I bought mine just before Amazon had them for sale, and from now on, I will probably just wait for Amazon to get an item or I will not buy it, as their return policy is very good.
But my set sounds incredibly good, the exact opposite of what you describe...I'm sorry for your experience, and I would definitely try to get a return. :frowning2:

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #951 of 1,778
BTW, Is there any to prove to dd audio store or linsoul that i have a bad set?
I hear bbgar seems to backup people who got bad sets..?
Don’t worry about having to prove you have a bad set. Just tell them what you’re experiencing and that you have a defective set. That’s all I had to do.

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #952 of 1,778
we actually have the same iems too, bl03, urbanfun

and I agree with your opinion, fairly detailed, I think the treble even sparkles for me lol reminds me of my launch DM6

I too hear very detailed, airy (sparkly) treble that is non-fatiguing and rarely sharp! I've read the "rolled-off" treble statement from several reviews and it was the first thing that almost kept me from getting the L3, as I am sensitive to harsh tones and love extended highs (have pro ribbon tweeters in many of the speakers I build that extend way above 20k). I've been to an audiologist and had my hearing tested a few times, even within last 5 yrs, and I have no problems (even being 52 my upper harmonic FR is intact). As I do have studio equipment extremely capable of high SPL's, as well as a loud car system I've built myself, I have always limited my listening at high dB's to short time periods, never listen at very loud volumes for extended time periods. (That can keep from damaging your hearing).

The one thing that is beginning to concern me is the total random tuning experiences some are experiencing with the L3: Find it odd that noone is having the normal QC issues such as manufacturing defects of shell, jack problems, etc., but different sound signatures with the switches. Possibly QC issues with the WIRING of the switches or actual crossover components??
If the X/O parts are wired wrong, the sound could be exact opposite (messed up). I build custom high-order X/O's for my speakers and they are very integral to the driver component matching with frequency points/shifts. If the tuning switches are wired wrong, or the XO parts are wired wrong or faulty, there could be drastic FR shifts (tuning) as described by some. I'd normally just say most problems are tip-related as tips/seal are so integral to IEM sound, but if the person is getting a good seal and hearing what they describe as the opposite of what my set is, SOMETHING is wrong, honestly.

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #953 of 1,778
I too hear very detailed, airy (sparkly) treble that is non-fatiguing and rarely sharp! I've read the "rolled-off" treble statement from several reviews and it was the first thing that almost kept me from getting the L3, as I am sensitive to harsh tones and love extended highs (have pro ribbon tweeters in many of the speakers I build that extend way above 20k). I've been to an audiologist and had my hearing tested a few times, even within last 5 yrs, and I have no problems (even being 52 my upper harmonic FR is intact). As I do have studio equipment extremely capable of high SPL's, as well as a loud car system I've built myself, I have always limited my listening at high dB's to short time periods, never listen at very loud volumes for extended time periods. (That can keep from damaging your hearing).

The one thing that is beginning to concern me is the total random tuning experiences some are experiencing with the L3: Find it odd that noone is having the normal QC issues such as manufacturing defects of shell, jack problems, etc., but different sound signatures with the switches. Possibly QC issues with the WIRING of the switches or actual crossover components??
If the X/O parts are wired wrong, the sound could be exact opposite (messed up). I build custom high-order X/O's for my speakers and they are very integral to the driver component matching with frequency points/shifts. If the tuning switches are wired wrong, or the XO parts are wired wrong or faulty, there could be drastic FR shifts (tuning) as described by some. I'd normally just say most problems are tip-related as tips/seal are so integral to IEM sound, but if the person is getting a good seal and hearing what they describe as the opposite of what my set is, SOMETHING is wrong, honestly.
That is what scares me about complex designs in the budget realm. When mass producing these IEMs, there are just so many more things that can go wrong. Though what was correctly pointed out to me in another discussion, some of our biggest QC offenders have been the “simple” single DD IEMs, such as the UF YBF.

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #954 of 1,778
Does this mean i have the 5th build? Pretty early, not that that should matter.
Yes i have a good seal. Cant use any other tips then foam large. Im gonna try to listen to someone elses l3 soon.

Attachments

• 20200717_164727.jpg
    20200717_164727.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jul 17, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #955 of 1,778
https://www.calsci.com/audio/X-Overs2.html
That is what scares me about complex designs in the budget realm. When mass producing these IEMs, there are just so many more things that can go wrong. Though what was correctly pointed out to me in another discussion, some of our biggest QC offenders have been the “simple” single DD IEMs, such as the UF YBF.
E
Exactly.
With the L3, something as simple as having the tuning switches wired wrong, could have very adverse and differing effects between sets!
For that matter, if the switches themselves are reverse-mounted (but wired correctly) in the shell, the tuning would be the opposite of what is labeled.

Jul 17, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #956 of 1,778
https://www.calsci.com/audio/X-Overs2.html
E
Exactly.
With the L3, something as simple as having the tuning switches wired wrong, could have very adverse and differing effects between sets!
For that matter, if the switches themselves are reverse-mounted (but wired correctly) in the shell, the tuning would be the opposite of what is labeled.

i think it would have been better if the L3 didn't have the dip switches, it is just adding more parts to a relatively budget iem

i also compared my urbanfun and my L3, there is no way the UF mids/treble outpaces the L3

the bery bass is so good on the UF though but the bass on the L3 is more accurate to the music

but i can understand if people prefer the UF to the L3

Jul 17, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #957 of 1,778
Yeah, the MR and highs are much smoother and cleaner on my L3 vs the Urbanfun. The bass is indeed very dynamic on Urbanfun, but i also don't feel it is better. I get plenty of bass slam and extension with L3, and as darkwing noted, feel it is more accurate to the recording.

Looking at the dip switches, they are certainly surface-mounted to the tiny PCB, which I would assume contains the complete crossover network (cant really see the underside well), the wires then go to the according drivers (Dynamic-bass driver, mids/highs-Balanced Armatures). Unfortunately, if these wires are coming from the wrong terminals of the X/O to the incorrect drivers, the sound would be horrid. And depending how the switches are set up with the crossover, they could also affect the sound adversely if wired incorrectly.

Attachments

• L3 dipswitches.jpg
    L3 dipswitches.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 0
Jul 18, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #960 of 1,778
"how much warranty have the Linsoul and the DD Store to this product?"

We offer full warranty for one year from linsoul.com :)
I orderd via the dd store one aliexpress.. but u say u offer 1 year garranty? Even tough i orderd via ali expres? In that case i can maybe contact them and explain i have a very poor set...
Are u the owner of the linsoul company? So i guess dd store is linsoul?
Thank you for your response!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back