ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jul 13, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #901 of 1,778
Anyone tried the new AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips yet? With L3?
From other people, sounds like they might run a size or 2 bigger than your regular size. Thinking about trying them, but pretty pricy for tips, especially if you don't know the exact size you need, just to try out.
Really considering them though...
They are available in multi size packs on Amazon US as of yesterday.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #902 of 1,778
... Alternatively, you could save up for something different, like the FiiO FD1, ...

... I will probably indeed leave them out then, and get L3 ...

Unless it is better to go with the FD1 all together and drop Legacy 3's? Since FD1 is 80 USD for me at Ali (Europe here) I think I can afford only one of them atm together with the rest of the stuff that I want to get. And I am reading some really nice things about the cleanliness of FD1, which really seems to be the key for me while looking for an upgrade to T4's for listening to stuff like Collapsing Words - Insomnium.
Any thoughts on the comparison between the two of them for that purpose already? Been through the FD1 thread but didn't find anything too decisive yet

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #903 of 1,778
I know, I'm thinking about it too.:) Florida's humidity though, might be too much for me. Even New York summer humidity has already killed several of my metal-shell IEMs and it's killing me. I'm a desert creature...
Arizona is also a popular destination. No humidity there. The Carolinas are becoming increasingly popular. In fact, there are quite a few northerners that retired to FL initially, but hated the heat and humidity, so they moved up to one of the Carolinas. A lot of Floridians retire up in the Carolinas also. Not nearly as much craziness as we see in FL and NY.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #904 of 1,778
Unless it is better to go with the FD1 all together and drop Legacy 3's? Since FD1 is 80 USD for me at Ali (Europe here) I think I can afford only one of them atm together with the rest of the stuff that I want to get. And I am reading some really nice things about the cleanliness of FD1, which really seems to be the key for me while looking for an upgrade to T4's for listening to stuff like Collapsing Words - Insomnium.
Any thoughts on the comparison between the two of them for that purpose already? Been through the FD1 thread but didn't find anything too decisive yet
I think the L3 is more versatile (than the FD1), and more different compared to the T4, thus more complementary. Plus the switches make it even more versatile. One important thing about the L3 is that it is very sensitive to ear tip choice. Right now, my favorite ear tips are the ePro horn-shaped tips, Sedna Earfit Light Short tips, and SpinFit CP145 tips.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #905 of 1,778
I think the L3 is more versatile (than the FD1), and more different compared to the T4, thus more complementary. Plus the switches make it even more versatile. One important thing about the L3 is that it is very sensitive to ear tip choice. Right now, my favorite ear tips are the ePro horn-shaped tips, Sedna Earfit Light Short tips, and SpinFit CP145 tips.

Yeah, I guess my biggest concern is how it will perform with songs like this one, and that's probably because I am not yet sure what is required to perform best with them :p

My wild guess would be a lot of what people name as detail, clarity, resolving

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #906 of 1,778
Yeah, I guess my biggest concern is how it will perform with songs like this one, and that's probably because I am not yet sure what is required to perform best with them :p

My wild guess would be a lot of what people name as detail, clarity, resolving
Hmmmm. I actually think the T4 has a lot of detail and resolution. That’s one of it’s biggest strengths, but then again, what do I know. The more I read other‘s opinions, the more confused I seem to get. I honestly think that the L3 has really good detail retrieval and sound texture. I don’t find it particularly lacking in so-called “technicalities”, but it seems a lot of other people do. I’m really starting to think we are all hearing things very differently, and translate what we hear into completely different words. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to listen for yourself.

Edit: Crinacle’s review of the L3 is up now, and it is pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. Once again, at least he’s consistent. He did state: “The Legacy 3 is a competitive $130 IEM that presents a balanced tuning that’s unrelatively uncommon in its price bracket, though ultimately bottlenecked in terms of detail retrieval and overall technical ability.” Unrelatively uncommon?....so...common then?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #907 of 1,778
Hmmmm. I actually think the T4 has a lot of detail and resolution. That’s one of it’s biggest strengths, but then again, what do I know. The more I read other‘s opinions, the more confused I seem to get. I honestly think that the L3 has really good detail retrieval and sound texture. I don’t find it particularly lacking in so-called “technicalities”, but it seems a lot of other people do. I’m really starting to think we are all hearing things very differently, and translate what we hear into completely different words. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to listen for yourself.

Yeah, that's where I am also gravitating to after this few days of intensified research. Would you say that FD1 are perhaps more resolving then L3 though? If they are different and seem to perhaps be an improvement in clarity I think I will strongly consider spoiling myself even more and giving both a chance, for science.
There will be no new IEMs at least till black friday after that for me LOL :)

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #908 of 1,778
Anyone tried the new AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips yet? With L3?
From other people, sounds like they might run a size or 2 bigger than your regular size. Thinking about trying them, but pretty pricy for tips, especially if you don't know the exact size you need, just to try out.
Really considering them though...
I have them, and tried them with the L3. They fit on the L3 nozzles very well, and grip tightly. Measurement wise, they are the exact same size as the other Sedna Earfit tips. Because they are so tacky, they can be more difficult to insert into your ears, but I find it also depends on the shape of the IEM shell. With the L3, and other custom-shaped universal IEMs, I find them easy to insert. They do form a very tight seal. One MAY consider getting one size smaller than usual, due to the tackiness, but if in doubt, get the same size as you usually do for Sedna tips. I use large size Sedna tips, and purchased large size Xelastecs. I definitely don’t recommend going down 2 sizes as a guesstimate.

Honestly, I’m glad I have them to try out, and for variation, but so far, I haven’t found them preferable for any of the IEMs that I’ve tried them on. The best word I can use to generalize the sound changes is “resonance”. The material makes the mid bass more resonant, and thus more prominent. It also makes the treble more resonant and “wet” sounding, and thus I often perceive it as brighter (though other people don’t, per their reports). Specifically with the L3, most of the frequencies remain well balanced. but the mid bass resonance is too much for me. I find it becomes kind of boomy. My main (brutal) test track for mid bass boominess/resonance is Diana Krall’s All Or Nothing At All. The upright bass in the intro tells me all I need to know after just a few seconds.

I think the Xelastec tips are most useful if someone has a specific fit issue. They are really comfortable.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #909 of 1,778
Yeah, that's where I am also gravitating to after this few days of intensified research. Would you say that FD1 are perhaps more resolving then L3 though? If they are different and seem to perhaps be an improvement in clarity I think I will strongly consider spoiling myself even more and giving both a chance, for science.
There will be no new IEMs at least till black friday after that for me LOL :)
I don’t think the FD1 is more resolving than the L3. While it provides a lot of clarity, in large part due to it’s tuning, it doesn’t reveal a ton of micro detail. It does provide enough, IMO, but not any better than the L3. I actually find it smoother, so for sound texture, the L3 is better. I’ve never heard the iBasso IT00, but maybe you want to ask some other members that have it, about resolution and detail retrieval. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...s-with-one-purpose-to-enjoy-the-music.934980/

The one other IEM that maybe you should consider, perhaps instead of the L3, is the NF Audio NM2. I have the NA2, which reportedly is the more “fun” and laidback of the 2, while the NM2 is more reference tuned. The NA2 is already very revealing of micro details, while remaining very smooth and inoffensive. I‘ve been very impressed with it. The NM2 may be even better. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nf-audio-impression-thread.923589/

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #911 of 1,778
I think it's just a typo for relatively uncommon.
That’s what I’m guessing, but sometimes he likes to be creative with words.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #912 of 1,778
Attach files
Unrelatively uncommon?....so...common then?
I think this is his euphemism for Absolutely & Extremely Uncommon, and I would agree... In fact, can anyone name IEM in this price range that compares? And please don't even start with Reecho Spring please...
Would you say that FD1 are perhaps more resolving then L3 though?
FD1 is more coherent and smooth, and many audiophiles perceive more resolution in vocal and lower instrument range as a result of that. I'd say that my impression is - that realism and naturalness is most striking. But FD1 upper treble is somewhat rolled off and upper instrument texture is better on L3. So, I like that extra resolution at 12K+ that L3 has. Depending on music it can be distracting/contaminating rather than resolving. FD1 is not missing it but it's definitely subdued. I swapped stock cable to SPC to see if I can get more of upper treble details but probably only good EQ can really address that.
(I need my ears to recover from intense resolution shock from Noble M3, before I proceed with more experiments - imagine Shuoer Tape on steroids:darthsmile:, or maybe if Tape is a club kind of sound, M3 must be a club with designer drugs...)
Also, L3 has pretty good isolation, commute safe, while FD1 is double vented.

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #913 of 1,778
I have them, and tried them with the L3. They fit on the L3 nozzles very well, and grip tightly. Measurement wise, they are the exact same size as the other Sedna Earfit tips. Because they are so tacky, they can be more difficult to insert into your ears, but I find it also depends on the shape of the IEM shell. With the L3, and other custom-shaped universal IEMs, I find them easy to insert. They do form a very tight seal. One MAY consider getting one size smaller than usual, due to the tackiness, but if in doubt, get the same size as you usually do for Sedna tips. I use large size Sedna tips, and purchased large size Xelastecs. I definitely don’t recommend going down 2 sizes as a guesstimate.

Honestly, I’m glad I have them to try out, and for variation, but so far, I haven’t found them preferable for any of the IEMs that I’ve tried them on. The best word I can use to generalize the sound changes is “resonance”. The material makes the mid bass more resonant, and thus more prominent. It also makes the treble more resonant and “wet” sounding, and thus I often perceive it as brighter (though other people don’t, per their reports). Specifically with the L3, most of the frequencies remain well balanced. but the mid bass resonance is too much for me. I find it becomes kind of boomy. My main (brutal) test track for mid bass boominess/resonance is Diana Krall’s All Or Nothing At All. The upright bass in the intro tells me all I need to know after just a few seconds.

I think the Xelastec tips are most useful if someone has a specific fit issue. They are really comfortable.
Thanks so much! Very helpful info to me. I'd probably be in agreement with the sound you are hearing with them on the L3. If they didn't add to the mid ass boominess, the tacky fit would probably be perfect for blon03 fit issues though. Helps greatly with choosing the size though, if I get them I'll probably get the 3pack on Amazon with the MS, M, ML sizes (as I generally just wear a medium tip, except need a large tip on bl03 just to hold them in my ears better....thanks again!

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #914 of 1,778
They do form a very tight seal.
I just ordered Large size of Xelastec on Amazon. Getting good isolation with large tips always a challenge, so will see.
Also, I noticed that we both independently (simultaneously) pointed to the "texture" advantage of L3. :) Just read your post after finishing mine. Glad we agree, though it seems to be mostly a consensus here.
My BGVP Zero cleared customs 3 days ago... so slooooow:triportsad:
:turtle::turtle::turtle::turtle::turtle::e-mail:📨

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #915 of 1,778
Thanks so much! Very helpful info to me. I'd probably be in agreement with the sound you are hearing with them on the L3. If they didn't add to the mid ass boominess, the tacky fit would probably be perfect for blon03 fit issues though. Helps greatly with choosing the size though, if I get them I'll probably get the 3pack on Amazon with the MS, M, ML sizes (as I generally just wear a medium tip, except need a large tip on bl03 just to hold them in my ears better....thanks again!
That should be *mid BASS *. LOL😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back