ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jul 12, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #887 of 1,778
Going off topic. Has anyone tried the blessing 2 and audiosense t800? I need a heads up on which is the better buy!
They're so different, I don't even know where to begin. You may also look at Mangrid Tea instead of either, seems like a more balanced overall. (Didn't hear Mangrid tea but like the reviews)
Or ISN H40 if you like thick sound with large soundstage and strong bass impact, or Penon Orb if you like smooth clean laid back treble with high-quality bass and excellent fuller-sounding mids.
The technical performance of Blessing 2 is superior to T800, treble is smooth and extended, the bass is more focused on the sub-bass and yet more reserved - so T800 actually more warm and bassy. Blessing2 has audiophile tunning with leaner bass and lower mids that benefit from warm source. T800 has more fun sound with fuller lower mids, less analytical but also has somewhat peaky treble. Blessing2 treble, in contrast, has TOTL level of quality.
T800 isolates well despite vented bass BA, while Blessing2 small vent seems to let more noise in.
I think that today T800 cannot compete with something like ISN H40, and Quality Control notwithstanding - with L3 either. My L3 unit has a good treble extension, plenty of details. Treble offensiveness is on the same level as H40 and T800. T800 may be unforgiving to compressed recordings because of upper treble emphasis.
Even Audiosense own AQ3 - I would choose before T800, as while T800 vented BA producing best BA bass I've heard, but even Blessing2 detuned & reserved bass - can rumble more (though will need EQ for that).
Bass quality: Penon Orb, ISN H40, Blessing2, T800(a bit too boomy IMHO)
H40 is $100 less and better than T800. Blessing2 :warning: Audiophile tuning.
All of the above have very good soundstage(or they wouldn't be in my collection)
Fit wise - H40 is the largest. Even though Blessing 2 sticks out more - it fits the smallest space of the 3. I could use small-medium tips with either but with H40 using shallow medium to reduce the bass.
Can you compare for me the ISN H40 and the Legacy3 ?
:warning:H40 has a lot of bass, Bass-head satisfying level & impact. From sub to mid - thick and authoritative.
It has full thick lower mids, good vocals with a bit hot treble, that I'd also describe as thick.
To my taste, L3 has superior balance and wider soundstage. Because of H40 hot low-mid treble, I perceive L3 treble as more extended with better upper treble details. H40 fits deeper, isolates better and its thick sound makes it perfect commute/noisy place IEM.
I might be not the best person to do this comparison as my personal taste is closer to Blessing2 with its tame bass and smooth treble.
In fact, @Dsnuts recommended Blessing2 to me, based on my complaints on H40s tonal balance and excessive bass, and it was a good recommendation. Probably nobody knows H40 better.

1594580344192.png

Jul 12, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #888 of 1,778
They're so different, I don't even know where to begin. You may also look at Mangrid Tea instead of either, seems like a more balanced overall. (Didn't hear Mangrid tea but like the reviews)
Or ISN H40 if you like thick sound with large soundstage and strong bass impact, or Penon Orb if you like smooth clean laid back treble with high-quality bass and excellent fuller-sounding mids.
The technical performance of Blessing 2 is superior to T800, treble is smooth and extended, the bass is more focused on the sub-bass and yet more reserved - so T800 actually more warm and bassy. Blessing2 has audiophile tunning with leaner bass and lower mids that benefit from warm source. T800 has more fun sound with fuller lower mids, less analytical but also has somewhat peaky treble. Blessing2 treble, in contrast, has TOTL level of quality.
T800 isolates well despite vented bass BA, while Blessing2 small vent seems to let more noise in.
I think that today T800 cannot compete with something like ISN H40, and Quality Control notwithstanding - with L3 either. My L3 unit has a good treble extension, plenty of details. Treble offensiveness is on the same level as H40 and T800. T800 may be unforgiving to compressed recordings because of upper treble emphasis.
Even Audiosense own AQ3 - I would choose before T800, as while T800 vented BA producing best BA bass I've heard, but even Blessing2 detuned & reserved bass - can rumble more (though will need EQ for that).
Bass quality: Penon Orb, ISN H40, Blessing2, T800(a bit too boomy IMHO)
H40 is $100 less and better than T800. Blessing2 :warning: Audiophile tuning.
All of the above have very good soundstage(or they wouldn't be in my collection)
Fit wise - H40 is the largest. Even though Blessing 2 sticks out more - it fits the smallest space of the 3. I could use small-medium tips with either but with H40 using shallow medium to reduce the bass.

:warning:H40 has a lot of bass, Bass-head satisfying level & impact. From sub to mid - thick and authoritative.
It has full thick lower mids, good vocals with a bit hot treble, that I'd also describe as thick.
To my taste, L3 has superior balance and wider soundstage. Because of H40 hot low-mid treble, I perceive L3 treble as more extended with better upper treble details. H40 fits deeper, isolates better and its thick sound makes it perfect commute/noisy place IEM.
I might be not the best person to do this comparison as my personal taste is closer to Blessing2 with its tame bass and smooth treble.
In fact, @Dsnuts recommended Blessing2 to me, based on my complaints on H40s tonal balance and excessive bass, and it was a good recommendation. Probably nobody knows H40 better.

Thanks you have been very helpful.A great summary. You have echoed what many people have said. im quite a newbie to the head-fi community. I'm loving it 😎

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #889 of 1,778
Hi guys, hi forum!
So I am a bit new to this, to begin with, and kind of lost it doing my research on my next purchase which would include these (L3).
I was aiming for Legacy 3's together with BL-03 and Fiio BTR5, and hoped to get one balanced cable for BTR5 that would fit both L3 and Blons (I'm kind of budget-constrained and it is a stretch for me anyways).
Is it by any means possible? I've heard that L3 can come with various connectors, where is when I started to lose it. And BL-03 seems to have its own weir connector.

So I guess my questions here are:
1) What is it all about with L3 connectors? I am aiming for the Mystique variant of them - what would I get?
2) Is it better to shop for these on Linsoul directly or Ali? Prices seem to be the same.
3) Can I get a cable for them that would fit bl-03 as well? I've read about some cutting down the edges of blons in order to change the connector, that does not seem to be too risky to me, if it is not I would be up to that.

Thanks in advance for unswears to any of this!

Jul 12, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #890 of 1,778
Hi guys, hi forum!
So I am a bit new to this, to begin with, and kind of lost it doing my research on my next purchase which would include these (L3).
I was aiming for Legacy 3's together with BL-03 and Fiio BTR5, and hoped to get one balanced cable for BTR5 that would fit both L3 and Blons (I'm kind of budget-constrained and it is a stretch for me anyways).
Is it by any means possible? I've heard that L3 can come with various connectors, where is when I started to lose it. And BL-03 seems to have its own weir connector.

1) What is it all about with L3 connectors? I am aiming for the Mystique variant of them - what would I get?
2) Is it better to shop for these on Linsoul directly or Ali? Prices seem to be the same.
3) Can I get a cable for them that would fit bl-03 as well? I've read about some cutting down the edges of blons in order to change the connector, that does not seem to be too risky to me, if it is not I would be up to that.

The Mystique comes with a “QDC” connector, which is a 0.78mm 2 pin oval connector that sticks out from the shell. Any 0.78mm 2 pin cable will fit it, but will stick out. The 2 pin connector on the BL03 is also a 0.78mm 2 pin connector that sticks out, but it is squared off.

To sum up, just get a 0.78mm 2 pin cable, and it will work for both. FWIW, I like the stock cable that comes with the L3, so it should suffice if not using it balanced.

I purchased mine directly from Linsoul, and I don’t have a recommendation either way (AliEx vs Linsoul). Both are fine.

Edit: Just curious, but the tuning of the L3 and BL03 are very similar. If you’re getting the L3, the BL03 is a bit redundant. Is there a reason for wanting both?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #891 of 1,778
Hi guys, hi forum!

Adding to @IEMusic info, I would suggest looking for 0.78 2pin that has minimal length of plastic pin-housing extension, kind of like the first pic, not the second.
1594590012638.png1594591256780.png
It will still stick out from QDC connector, so you can use small size ear-tips to cover it - so it will look better. (look @ my last post pic).
BL03 bass is stronger and boomier. I cannot bear its hot lower treble. Don't like it at all and believe it's overrated and only good to help horrible old recordings to sound less horrible.
L3 sounds fabulous with BTR5 3.5mm out. No need for balanced at all. Cannot notice the difference except with Tin P1 that benefits from extra power. Also, beware of BL03 fit.
I believe that if you order custom, you might have a choice of the connector, otherwise you're stuck with QDC.
And here in NYC delivery from Ali takes a lot longer and also Linsoul doesn't charge our local tax.🤫

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #892 of 1,778
The Mystique comes with a “QDC” connector, which is a 0.78mm 2 pin oval connector that sticks out from the shell. Any 0.78mm 2 pin cable will fit it, but will stick out. The 2 pin connector on the BL03 is also a 0.78mm 2 pin connector that sticks out, but it is squared off.

To sum up, just get a 0.78mm 2 pin cable, and it will work for both. FWIW, I like the stock cable that comes with the L3, so it should suffice if not using it balanced.

I purchased mine directly from Linsoul, and I don’t have a recommendation either way (AliEx vs Linsoul). Both are fine.

Edit: Just curious, but the tuning of the L3 and BL03 are very similar. If you’re getting the L3, the BL03 is a bit redundant. Is there a reason for wanting both?

Thanks a ton for the response, that's very helpful! If someone has any other take I am more than willing to read.

As to your question - my story is I bought Tin T4's as my first IEM and fell in love with it - mainly because of the improvement in detail, clarity, that I seem to value a lot (maybe because to the stuff I listen to, which is mainly metal-related music (phone/pc, spotify)).
But I saw that there are few 100 - 120$ IEMs that seem to be widely considered much better than these, and thought I could spare some money for a probable upgrade and give them a try.
Looked at Moondrop Starfield, Shuoer Tape and the L3, all of which I saw were well received.
The decision shifted to L3's, as this seemed to be the best received all around, and have the switches which can let me experiment a bit and suit them to my needs which are not well defined yet. And BLONs are just an addition because they are pretty cheap and seem to be a classic buy that a lot of people like, wanted to try them out as well while I am spoiling myself.

If you or anyone suggest some other purchase decisions given that profile I am more than willing to consider them, still exploring :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #893 of 1,778
Adding to @IEMusic info, I would suggest looking for 0.78 2pin that has minimal length of plastic pin-housing extension, kind of like the first pic, not the second.

It will still stick out from QDC connector, so you can use small size ear-tips to cover it - so it will look better. (look @ my last post pic).
BL03 bass is stronger and boomier. I cannot bear its hot lower treble. Don't like it at all and believe it's overrated and only good to help horrible old recordings to sound less horrible.
L3 sounds fabulous with BTR5 3.5mm out. No need for balanced at all. Cannot notice the difference except with Tin P1 that benefits from extra power. Also, beware of BL03 fit.
I believe that if you order custom, you might have a choice of the connector, otherwise you're stuck with QDC.
And here in NYC delivery from Ali takes a lot longer and also Linsoul doesn't charge our local tax.🤫

Thanks, that's very informative as well! I totally thought these square extensions would maybe fit into the connector of blons, love that beginner tips :p

Edit: that does not make sense, that would never work :p

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #894 of 1,778
Thanks, that's very informative as well! I totally thought these square extensions would maybe fit into the connector of blons, love that beginner tips :p

Edit: that does not make sense, that would never work :p
Glad to help while I still can. I heard, making too much sense soon will be illegal in NYC😉
On the serious note, I would suggest to get $60 FiiO FD1 instead of BL03.
Absolutely fantastic Be DD that gives you taste of TOTL.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #896 of 1,778
I haven’t heard the UF or the Starfield, but I haven’t read any major complaints about the fit of the Starfield. They get nothing but praise.

The fit of the L3 is great. It has a custom-ish shape, and is reasonably small, so it should fit most people w/o problems. I would say that the L3 is a great upgrade to the BL03, as some others have mentioned. It solves the problem of fit; the bass is a bit less and is ideal IMO. The lowest sub bass is a tad rolled off, but I really don’t notice it, and I LOVE my sub bass. The bass is faster and cleaner, with a leaner mid bass vs the BL03, so it doesn’t muddy up the mids at all, but it can still hit hard if called for.

The L3 uses BAs for the mids and treble, so it doesn’t completely have the DD timbre, but I find that it does sound natural, smooth, and pleasing, if a bit “too clear”? The treble is quite a bit more extended sounding vs the BL03, with a lot of upper treble air, though I’ve read some other’s assessments that state the treble is rolled off. On that point, what I will say is that the L3 is VERY sensitive to ear tip choice. In general (but not always), the more shallow and wide bore the tip, the better. I really like Sedna Earfit tips for the L3, which I also happen to really like on the BL03s.

Sensitive to tips is an understatement. I started with TRN full red cores which I like but I found the upper mids to lower treble a bit TOO polite. Switching to TRN full red cores improved things. After reading your comment I tried the widest and most shallow tip I had which are the Tenmarks with the spiral fins under the head. This tip changed the sound drastically. Using a few female vocal tracks the vocals went from being nice and focused and centered and forward to outside my my ears and back considerably with the wide bore tips. The sub bass and midbass notes were also neutered and the treble lost any directness and became diffuse.

I’ve never had tips have such a drastic effect on an iem. Back to the Large TRN 1/2 red cores for now. I find KZ Starline tips are also very good with the L3. I also tried the semi clear/red core tips Fiio and Jade Audio ships with some of their newer sets and those were good but I prefer the TRN 1/2 red cores.

Wow I just put on the 24/96 remaster of Toto IV and the L3 went from a set I wasn’t positive I wanted to keep to something I don’t think I would be able to live without knowing what the performance they’re capable of.

If I decide I like these enough I’ll order a custom set with the 2 pin since I can’t stand QDC connectors and preformed ear hooks on the wires. I’m using a YY 16 core and it’s excellent with an effortless fit in my ears.

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #897 of 1,778
Thanks a ton for the response, that's very helpful! If someone has any other take I am more than willing to read.

As to your question - my story is I bought Tin T4's as my first IEM and fell in love with it - mainly because of the improvement in detail, clarity, that I seem to value a lot (maybe because to the stuff I listen to, which is mainly metal-related music (phone/pc, spotify)).
But I saw that there are few 100 - 120$ IEMs that seem to be widely considered much better than these, and thought I could spare some money for a probable upgrade and give them a try.
Looked at Moondrop Starfield, Shuoer Tape and the L3, all of which I saw were well received.
The decision shifted to L3's, as this seemed to be the best received all around, and have the switches which can let me experiment a bit and suit them to my needs which are not well defined yet. And BLONs are just an addition because they are pretty cheap and seem to be a classic buy that a lot of people like, wanted to try them out as well while I am spoiling myself.

If you or anyone suggest some other purchase decisions given that profile I am more than willing to consider them, still exploring :)

Thanks!
I like the T4 a lot. It provides of ton of clarity and detail. I think the L3 sound will be very complementary to the T4. I understand the allure of the BL03 price, since it’s so affordable, and it could serve as an all-purpose spare. Alternatively, you could save up for something different, like the FiiO FD1, although, what the BL03 does bring that is different is a lot of bass, albeit not as clean and more muddy than the bass of the L3. The one other IEM to consider is the iBasso IT00. That’s another one that you could save up for. It has a single DD, so it’s also different from the L3. I haven’t heard it yet, but it seems to be a great IEM.

Glad to help while I still can. I heard, making too much sense soon will be illegal in NYC😉
LOL!! Too funny. All your neighbors are my neighbors now!

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #898 of 1,778
LOL!! Too funny. All your neighbors are my neighbors now!
I know, I'm thinking about it too.:) Florida's humidity though, might be too much for me. Even New York summer humidity has already killed several of my metal-shell IEMs and it's killing me. I'm a desert creature...

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #899 of 1,778
Got it, thanks guys :)
If blons are that redundant and do not make much sense then I will probably indeed leave them out then, and get L3 + a QDC 2.5 mm balanced cable for them to connect to BTR5 for now. Thinking about tossing in a balanced 2.5 female to single 3.5 male adapter like this one for casual listening on the go, so that I do not have to change entire cable to the stock one, and perhaps few cheap-ass eartips for a test.
I hope that that list makes sense now :D In case it doesn't, always open for further suggestions :D

Thanks for contributions everyone! :)

Jul 13, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #900 of 1,778
Anyone tried the new AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips yet? With L3?
From other people, sounds like they might run a size or 2 bigger than your regular size. Thinking about trying them, but pretty pricy for tips, especially if you don't know the exact size you need, just to try out.
Really considering them though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back