ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
May 16, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #181 of 1,778
In that case I would suggest trying the one called vocals. It tamed the bass and increased treble for me; all for the better.
I'll try Vocals again, and some other tips I have around. The FR shows less treble than Default, though... I like more bass in general(not this bass), but the thing I didn't like about the other modes(Detailed and Bass, at least) was the brighter treble.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #182 of 1,778
They finally arrived, first impressions are great! Pairing them with Fiio BTR5 through balanced (with custom cable), both switches on.

Bass is lighter than on BLONs, but more coherent. Upping the lows a bit with Fiio app makes them bassy enough for me. Everything else is a definitive upgrade from BLONs.

Fit is perfect for me, like they were molded specifically for my ears. Even with stock medium tips they fit perfectly, but I prefer foam for now, Spinfits are on the way still. Very light, clockworks are beautiful.

IMG_20200516_185135__01.jpgIMG_20200516_184607__01.jpg
What cable did you use for them? I heard that not all qdc cables fits these iems. And btw how does they sound with stock cable vs custom balanced?

May 16, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #183 of 1,778
What cable did you use for them? I heard that not all qdc cables fits these iems. And btw how does they sound with stock cable vs custom balanced?

Cable is https:/a.aliexpress.com/_eNq8Fj, QDC connectors. Compared to stock obviously higher volume from BTR5, a bit brighter sound as well.

I don't believe it's worth it changing cable for this particular item, stock is great.

May 16, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #184 of 1,778
...clockworks are beautiful.

I agree. The clockworks design looks so much better in owners photos and videos than they do in the official product photos. I like it. The reason I chose the mystique design was b/c I already was wanting to get the Peacock Audio P1 in the Caribbean design, but didn’t b/c I didn’t really want that IEM. Now, I have the best of both worlds.

37B2C141-EB59-41A1-9EE6-A5A9214130AA.jpeg

C98E2D83-75A0-4E81-B8B4-D3E85A258DDD.jpeg

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #185 of 1,778
I'll try Vocals again, and some other tips I have around. The FR shows less treble than Default, though... I like more bass in general(not this bass), but the thing I didn't like about the other modes(Detailed and Bass, at least) was the brighter treble.
My primary observation is that your ears are the best judge of the sound not the charts. Charts can help sort out what IEMs to even consider, but once you have the IEM in hand its time to experiment (tips,DIP switches). If you believe cables make a huge difference there is that also but I am on the fence with regard to cables I think that there is a point where what you have can be "good enough".

IEM charts are pretty funky anyway; most measurement systems have their own inherent peaks and valleys (often around 6 khz). If I recall you were not satisfied with the sound which is why I was encouraging you to try ALL of the permutations to see what you like. At least for me one setting (I think it was default) had way too much bass and not enough treble..

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #186 of 1,778
My primary observation is that your ears are the best judge of the sound not the charts. Charts can help sort out what IEMs to even consider, but once you have the IEM in hand its time to experiment (tips,DIP switches). If you believe cables make a huge difference there is that also but I am on the fence with regard to cables I think that there is a point where what you have can be "good enough".

IEM charts are pretty funky anyway; most measurement systems have their own inherent peaks and valleys (often around 6 khz). If I recall you were not satisfied with the sound which is why I was encouraging you to try ALL of the permutations to see what you like. At least for me one setting (I think it was default) had way too much bass and not enough treble..

I agree, but sometimes it’s difficult to pinpoint exactly what you’re hearing, and I find that charts can be very helpful in determining what is going on. For example, I don’t know exactly what frequency shifts are going on when the 1st L3 switch is up, but it sounds a bit weird to me. I think I’ve pretty much settled on 0,0 or 0,1 for all of my listening. I would like a good graph though.

The other thing is the concept of “brain burn-in”. After I listen to a certain tuning for a while, I tend to get used to it, even if it’s A bit bizarre. A graph lets me see an objective representation. Listening and measuring go hand in hand.

I think cables do make a difference, and that the material (copper vs silver, and purity) seems to change the sound the most. I’m not that convinced about silver plating making any difference with short IEM cables. I agree with you that they don’t need to cost much for them to be good, and that diminishing returns are crazy when it comes to cables. That’s when I view it as “snake oil”.

May 16, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #187 of 1,778
I feel like I would definitely like the Voyager 3 more(and probably Starfield, but I've been long sick of the K/KP/KXXS design), if it's got a more spacious & lighter sound to it(as seems the case). I wonder what the general preference is, for those who've had L3 and V3..?

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #188 of 1,778
At 2:57 there was an error made. I swear I have never noticed this error until now. Holly cow these IEM's are simply amazing. I can't find words to describe how mind blowned I am right now.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-05-16-23-40-13.png
    Capture+_2020-05-16-23-40-13.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #189 of 1,778
At 2:57 there was an error made. I swear I have never noticed this error until now. Holly cow these IEM's are simply amazing. I can't find words to describe how mind blowned I am right now.
The cello bow thing?

I'm gonna try the Reecho & Peacock Spring, see if that sounds more like what I'm after.

May 17, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #191 of 1,778
I hope you find what you're looking for. What are your thoughts on the Tape's?
Thanks. I'll post about it when it arrives, of course. On my shortlist was: EX800ST(still want), T4(soundstage seems weak, treble too bright), Starfield(mixed soundstage size, same boring tuning as my KP), Voyager 3(could be great, but BA only, and reviews & soundstage don't sound like what I'm after).

I'd love to try a planar or e-stat IEM, but I guess nothing has caught my eye enough, or been in my budget. Tape seems highly detailed, but not superb with bass and quality control.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #192 of 1,778
The cello bow thing?

I'm gonna try the Reecho & Peacock Spring, see if that sounds more like what I'm after.

I am also interested in the Reecho & Peacock Spring, to see if it is true that they are the style of the Solaris.

May 17, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #193 of 1,778
Thanks. I'll post about it when it arrives, of course. On my shortlist was: EX800ST(still want), T4(soundstage seems weak, treble too bright), Starfield(mixed soundstage size, same boring tuning as my KP), Voyager 3(could be great, but BA only, and reviews & soundstage don't sound like what I'm after).

I'd love to try a planar or e-stat IEM, but I guess nothing has caught my eye enough, or been in my budget. Tape seems highly detailed, but not superb with bass and quality control.
The tapes are very good technically. I think the bass is decent. The problem with them they are a bit shouty also a bit thin sounding. The o bravo cupids are similar in that respect. Plannar and estats never sounding quite right to me. The tuning seems off. I prefer the urbanfuns and ikko oh10 to any of the plannars and estats I have in my possession

May 17, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #194 of 1,778
IKR! I’m hearing details on tracks that I haven’t heard before, including a lot of spatial cues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back