They're finally here! :D
Feb 22, 2007 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

spiN

Head-Fier
As of 4:30pm today my DT770 Pro/80's have arrived. Didn't think I would actually find a pristine NIB unit off of eBay, but to my surprise even the box is in perfect condition. Thus far I've only played Oakenfold's Dread Rock and Dream Theater's 6 o'clock, Innocence Faded, and The Root of All Evil. However I'm rather pleased to hear what these babys can do unamped and not burned in. The bass is not overbearing like a lot of people I've heard mention, but it does most definitely announce it's presence in a rather tight, extensive, and controlled manner. No flabby bass from I'm hearing. The mids don't really sound all that recessed, but then again maybe I'm just used to my HD 570 after a week or so of use. The highs are nice and clear, but definitely not overly bright. From my own personal experience they are the most detailed cans I've ever heard, but definitely not too analytical to detract from my rock/metal heavy collection. To my surprise they're no harder to drive than the HD 570 from my sound card alone, which is great news. I'm sure once I snag an amp, I'll have a hard time going back.

Well I just hit In Flames' Friend, so I'm off to more testing.
3000smile.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations!
580smile.gif

Hear Hear!
Hope you enjoy them for years to come!

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 16
No pics of you opening the box? Boo!

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 16
The best I got is a crappy camera phone. But I guess I could always do a re-enactment.
tongue.gif

I hope I'll enjoy them for years (more than 2). My HD280pro's let me down in that department after the headband practically disintegrated. It had that stupid cracking issue at the screws which turned into the plastic under plates falling right out issue which quickly turned into the headband literally snapping in half issue (the metal part was still intact, but I don't think that goes all the way through the headband). I tried e-mailing Sennheiser about it, but they never answered. So I called them up directly and they wanted at the most 1/3 of the MSRP (which ended up being like $100) and the customer service rep said they would most likely just replace the entire headphone. So I said screw it and got my DT770 Pro/80 off eBay for $153 shipped.

You can't beat better headphones that you don't have to EQ for $50 more.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 16
I'll try to do some pictures, but all I have is the crappy camera on my cell.

After 19 hours of burn-in time the bass has tightened and appears more controlled than when I first listened to them. The mids and highs are still smooth and clear. Currently listening to Tool - Vicarious. I'm totally digging the sound. Tried some Pirates of the Caribbean (Curse of the Black Pearl) soundtrack and the opening violin was just great. Quite a bit clearer than the HD280pro if I do say so myself.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 16
So you like them better than HD280 pros? I'm "upgrading" (hopefully) to A900's which come today, and I'm just hoping that they are significantly better to justify the purchase. Hope you like your new headphones.

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 16
Yea, I'd definitely say they're better. The bass reminds me of the HD280pro, tight, controlled, and deep. That and you don't have to EQ the bass up on the DT770s just for them to be heard properly. The DT770 is generally clearer all around and does just as good a job at isolating. They're also more comfy than the HD280pro mainly because they don't clamp anywhere near as much (especially fresh out of the box HD280s) and they just generally "fit" better on my head. Can't wait until I get them fully burned-in/test them out in some games of Q3/watch some good movies with them. I'll have to pop in Stargate here pretty soon.
3000smile.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 16
Oh man. I threw some pink noise on last night for about 8 hours and it's opened these babys right up. It almost sounds like that it's lost some of they're impact on bass. But it also seems to have tightened the bass a touch more too. Mids and highs sound more open and more detailed. Overall I'd say I'm quite pleased with what I'm hearing thus far. Still have to do some movie and gaming testing on them though.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent amp and source that I could pair these with?

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 16
Alright well after they burned in for about 48 hours or so with about 8-9 hours of pink noise on top of that, they sound like they're pretty settled in. I have to say that I'm quite happy with my purchase. They present my music quite nicely as well as movies. Finally played some games today and the positioning is just splendid. Overall I would say that these are some great cans. Now I just have to find a decent budget amp so I can hook it up to my changer.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 16
Glad to see you are enjoying them for movies, games, and music. In my opinion they one of, if not the, most comfortable headphones. THey also excell with movies and games especially for their price point.

Hope you enjoy them for years to come!

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 16
Congrats on the purchase! Makes me even more anxious to order my dt990's, but I was curious. How lively is the sounds on these headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back