They might be Kings - High-end Headphone Shootout
Mar 26, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #106 of 367
The flow is more neutral than the Z1R. Z1R has more pronounced bass and it's well done to not bleed into the other frequencies. Sound signature of the Z1R is difficult to describe, but has been described (and I agree) as Liquid or 3D sounding. Build quality of both of top notch in my opinion, and both are comfortable. The slight edge goes to the Z1R for max comfort thoguh between the 2. I forget how easy or difficult both are to drive compared to each other. Soundstage height depth ect I can't comment now since looking back on it, nothing stands out between them...

Thanks!  Which would you prefer...Z1R or Ether c flow ? and why?

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #107 of 367
Thanks!  Which would you prefer...Z1R or Ether c flow ? and why?

For the longest time now I have prefered the Z1R, because I like more warmth then neutral sound. Also the Z1R's tone adds more body to the sound to my ears which to me I find more engaging.

When it comes to looks between the 2 I prefer the Ether Flow C, and I find the build of them to be ingenious due to their NiTinol headband. Due to that metal it's nice being able to move them however you want and they keep their shape. This is not to say there is anything wrong with the build of the Z1R, and regardless of what headphone I have I keep them in their box when not using them so they can't get hurt anyways....

Comfort wise the Z1R almost immediately disappears from my head when listening. The Carbon will dissapear as well so to speak but it's a little bit longer. (To me both are great in regards to comfort compared to other headphones...) the Ethers are heavier than the Z1R but due to their weight distribution it doesn't matter that much to me.

When it comes to amp pairing I first figured the Ether Flow C to be less picky about amps due to their more neutral sound. After listening to different amps I feel like both mesh well with different amps. I would like to hear from others what they think of how the Z1R pairs with tube amps though. To see if the Z1R's natural signature gets meshed with tube warmth is too much or not....

By the way in regards to soundstage height, width and depth, I have not critically listened for that yet and don't have an opinion of which I prefer. Right now both seem similar to me looking back on it. I do plan on evaluating that at some point though.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #108 of 367
Interesting thread.
What are people's thoughts on pairing the Z1R with one of the Sony Walkman's - WM1A/Z?  I have seen some postings on other threads stating that it is not the best of combo's - at least with the WM1Z which appears to have a warmer signature than the WM1A

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #109 of 367
  Interesting thread.
What are people's thoughts on pairing the Z1R with one of the Sony Walkman's - WM1A/Z?  I have seen some postings on other threads stating that it is not the best of combo's - at least with the WM1Z which appears to have a warmer signature than the WM1A

I thought the pairing is very nice but the Utopia is better out of the WM1Z than Sony's very own headphones.  The 1Z is not that warm.  It find it just a touch north of warm.   

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #110 of 367
I thought the pairing is very nice but the Utopia is better out of the WM1Z than Sony's very own headphones.  The 1Z is not that warm.  It find it just a touch north of warm.   

Thanks. I currently have the Utopia and am seriously considering one of the Sony players. I am still trying to come to grips if the Z is worth the huge incremental cost over the A. Many reports seem to say no. Obviously for me the context would be paired with my Utopia.

The Z1R question relates to the fact that I am still interested in it as a closed back alternative - unless there are equal or better closed back alternatives around?

Has anyone compared one of the Sony walkmans against a iPhone/Mojo combination? Or even a Hugo2/iPhone combination.

The Sony's are interesting from a perspective of being a "one box" solution vs a rubber band iPhone/Mojo combination. Then again if the IPhone/Mojo is as good, or better, than the Sony DAP's there is the extra bonus of being able to run Tidal and access files via UpnP

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #111 of 367
I remember seeing a video review of the sony walkman... apparently there is an annoying lag with the touch screen controls.  Hope you get to see and tryout in person before pulling the trigger.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #112 of 367
I remember seeing a video review of the sony walkman... apparently there is an annoying lag with the touch screen controls.  Hope you get to see and tryout in person before pulling the trigger.
Sony fixed that with a firmware update, it's no longer an issue.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #113 of 367
Correct - that is what I read and heard too

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #114 of 367
Sarnia

I see WM1A in your profile.  Did you have a chance to compare it to the Z?  Ever compare its performance to a iPhone/Mojo?  General thoughts on it?

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #115 of 367
Thanks. I currently have the Utopia and am seriously considering one of the Sony players. I am still trying to come to grips if the Z is worth the huge incremental cost over the A. Many reports seem to say no. Obviously for me the context would be paired with my Utopia.

The Z1R question relates to the fact that I am still interested in it as a closed back alternative - unless there are equal or better closed back alternatives around?

Has anyone compared one of the Sony walkmans against a iPhone/Mojo combination? Or even a Hugo2/iPhone combination.

The Sony's are interesting from a perspective of being a "one box" solution vs a rubber band iPhone/Mojo combination. Then again if the IPhone/Mojo is as good, or better, than the Sony DAP's there is the extra bonus of being able to run Tidal and access files via UpnP

As much as I love the 1Z, I still find it to be overpriced.  You should look into the 1A before jumping over to the 1Z.  The price difference is too large not to give the 1A a try.

I can't say for sure about the Z1R alternative.  Perhaps the Ether Flow C?  

Yup, it is a big miss for not having Tidal integration on the 1Z/1A.  I'm wondering how close the DX200 can be to the 1Z.

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #116 of 367
Hi All,
Interesting comments about the Z1R.  My only recent experience with a closed HP was the LCD-XC.  Does anyone having experience with both care to comment about the differences?  I am still thinking about the Utopia, but the Z1R have got some serious appreciation here!

Thanks,
RCB

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #117 of 367
Sarnia

I see WM1A in your profile.  Did you have a chance to compare it to the Z?  Ever compare its performance to a iPhone/Mojo?  General thoughts on it?
Sorry, I came close to buying the 1Z but couldn't justify the price or the weight to myself over the 1A.

I did have a Mojo which I used with an Android phone and my PC. However I didn't have it at the same time as the 1A. I did enjoy the Mojo, and considered getting a Poly to go with it.

My impression when I got the 1A was that it had a fuller sound than the Mojo. As people have said though, a real shame it can't stream. I might also get a Mojo again with a Poly for streaming.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #118 of 367
Purk and Sarnia

Thanks for the feedback.  I think that both of you concur that the 1Z is simply overpriced and the 1A can just about get you there for a fraction of the cost.  Hell - if I did decide to go back to the Z1R for a closed back companion to my Utopia a WM1A/Z1R combination would just about cost what the WM1Z costs.

Maybe a fair comparison with the WM1A would be my iPhone/Hugo2 instead of the Mojo.  Yes - Hugo2 costs double what the WM1A costs - however the Mojo costs half!  The Sony is a one box solution - the iPhone/Hugo2 clunky (for me) - however Tidal and streaming are there.

The DX200 - I have looked at some of the forum postings.  It sure seems that there are quite a few growing pains and software issues (and hardware as well).  I really do not like to be a beta tester for companies!

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #119 of 367
Hi All,
Interesting comments about the Z1R.  My only recent experience with a closed HP was the LCD-XC.  Does anyone having experience with both care to comment about the differences?  I am still thinking about the Utopia, but the Z1R have got some serious appreciation here!

Thanks,
RCB

My main closed hp for the last couple of years has been the XC, and i just picked up the Z1R a couple of weeks ago. The Z1R has a smoother sound overall, while the XC has a thicker sound that is more in your head with a hotter treble. My initial thought is I probably prefer the XC but the sound signature just differs between the two, probably based on the dynamic vs planar driver/sound. The big difference is long term comfort. The Z1R wins hands down because of its much lighter weight. I use them mainly at night on a recliner so both are just as comfortable to me, so weight is not an issue for me. I may end up keeping both as I can use the Z1r at other times because of its comfort.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #120 of 367
Sorry, I came close to buying the 1Z but couldn't justify the price or the weight to myself over the 1A.

I did have a Mojo which I used with an Android phone and my PC. However I didn't have it at the same time as the 1A. I did enjoy the Mojo, and considered getting a Poly to go with it.

My impression when I got the 1A was that it had a fuller sound than the Mojo. As people have said though, a real shame it can't stream. I might also get a Mojo again with a Poly for streaming.

will be interesting how the Poly adds to the adventure once it's released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back