They arrived! HD555 in the house!
Jul 8, 2004 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CyberMantis

New Head-Fier
Whoa I can hear things haahah these things are amazing! Ill post more info later, wow these things are great
eggosmile.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 11
congrats CyberMantis
biggrin.gif

I have 2 questions for you:

1) knowing these are open cans - how much of the ambient noise do you hear (conversations, other people's music, etc.) and how much of your music can other people around you hear?

2) how easy are they to drive?

Jul 8, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 11
you are making me so jealous! i cant wait for my MS-1 cans! i recently found 2 old sony MDR phones - creaky, vise-like grip on my head, sounded like muddy sludge even compared to my ipod buds and the $10 sony clips - so i trashed em! yep, they were worth about 5 bucks each on ebay, it's not even worth the shelf space anymore. i hope the garbage men dont mind putting them in the landfill in jersey!

Jul 8, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 11
I found the MDR-V200s make good ice scrapers on those cold winter nights.

Congrats on your HD555 purchase. Pretty comfy, no?

Jul 8, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by aleitry
congrats CyberMantis
biggrin.gif

I have 2 questions for you:

1) knowing these are open cans - how much of the ambient noise do you hear (conversations, other people's music, etc.) and how much of your music can other people around you hear?

2) how easy are they to drive?

1. It lets a fair ammount in, I think if I were on the subway or in a plane it would be too much but for in the house, dorm, car, etc... it'll be fine.

2. im not sure yet, ive only tested the speaker extension that is powred and it sounds great. Ill update this later as i try other things out.

Jul 8, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 11
Ok an update, tested directly with my sound card and it is VERY GOOD. Bass sounds amazing, and the overall quality is just unbelievable even with mp3's at 192khz (i usually use flacs directly encoded from my cds)

Jul 8, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
The bass disappears after a few days of burn in and never comes back. At least for me it hasn't... they really need an amp.

1)your sound card is likely to be part of the issue here... as soon as you can, upgrade to something that will give you better performance. I'd highly recommend and E-MU 1212m. If you're willing to negotiate the price they can be had for $165 plus tax at Guitar Center

2)Also at Guitar Center, you can get a PreSonus HP4 that will drive the HD555's very well. It retails at $99 but you can probably get it down in the $70 range. This amp is a very good bargain considering it can drive 4 headphones at once, sounds damn good, will run a balanced connection (when combined with the 1212m or some other balanced source) and is very quiet.

3)Have you tried running some very bass heavy stuff through them for a day or two at loud volumes? They don't have tons of bass, but the bass isn't bad and it's certainly better than out of the box. I did go through a period where it disappeared on me though... It's pretty likely that yours will come around...

Jul 9, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 11
I bought my HD-555's last week and they rock! Through my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card they rock. I can't wait till I get my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card.
icon10.gif

I'm also purchasing a Headsave Classic amp to go with it. It should drive these babies nicer, clearer, and louder than ever. I'm so happy I bought them.

Can we say, "Most comfy headphones ever?"

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by flip360shep
I bought my HD-555's last week and they rock! Through my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card they rock. I can't wait till I get my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card.
icon10.gif

I'm also purchasing a Headsave Classic amp to go with it. It should drive these babies nicer, clearer, and louder than ever. I'm so happy I bought them.

Can we say, "Most comfy headphones ever?"

Don't buy that card!!! You'll regret it! Get the base A2 if you game and pick up a E-MU 1212m for music and movies... You'll be much better off.

Jul 9, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Don't buy that card!!! You'll regret it! Get the base A2 if you game and pick up a E-MU 1212m for music and movies... You'll be much better off.

Agreed! At the very least get a $23.50 Chaintech AV-710 and set it up as described in the link in my sig. Both options will sound much better than the A2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back