Theta Dac's > turned to a up-to-$1000-dac recommendation thread
Apr 3, 2007 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ooztuncer

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,
I did a small research on Theta Dac's but I found out that it is really hard to learn their differences.

I am mainly interested in the 1986-1995 era. And as far as I know, here is their line-up:

DS pre > 1988

DS pro > 1989, essentially the same thing as the DS Pre, minus volume control.

DS pre generation II and pro generation II > 1990

Cobalt > 1992

DS generation III > 1993

DS pro generation V > 1994

First of all do you think did I miss any other model?

And more importantly, how do they sound - are they inferior than current production DAC's due to their old technology?

Any ideas on going prices on them and which one do you recommend?

Thanks!!

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 14
I like the sound of them, I tried a couple of them in my system a decade ago or so - the pre and the pro. They had a big full relaxed sound. I haven't heard any of the new DAC's so I can't compare them. I think audiogon.com and click on DAC is a good place to start looking for prices.
I am looking to upgrade my dac maybe in the next year or so - the Gen V is definitely on my list.
My system is a Theta Data Basic, CAL dac, Classe Integrated and Hales Bookshelf speakers.

Apr 4, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 14
Theta Gen Va is a great sounding DAC, and it'll appeal to those who value great detail resolution, extreme dynamics, transparency, and soundstaging. If you prefer a extra-rounded, softer, extra-warm sound, there are other choices, but in its day, I preferred the Va over the competition from Levinson, Audio Research, etc.

Apr 4, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 14
Thank you guys for the responses (even tough it was limited I believe they are nice products). I have found some more information on them (from audiogon, duh):

DSPro > 88
DSPro Basic >90
DSPro Gen II > 90
DSPro Basic II >91
DSPro Prime > 91
Cobalt > 92
DSPro Gen III > 92
DSPro Prime II > 93
DSPro Basic III >94
DSPro Gen V > 94
DSPro Progeny > 94
Chroma > 96
DSPro Basic IIIa > 96
DSPro Gen > 96
DSPro Gen Va > 96
DSPro Prime IIa > 96
DSPro Progeny A > 96
Fidelis > 96
Chroma 396 > 00
DSPro Gen VIII > 04
Gen VIII > 04

21 products!!

OK, let me rephrase my question little bit. Let's say I have a budget of up to $1,000 for a dac. Which one would you recommend in the above list (or something else)?

There are tons of dacs around and I really don't have any chance to audition them - thanks again...

Apr 5, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 14
actually that caught my eye too, however I am not sure about using a tube dac... Another competitor might be the electrocompaniet I believe...

Apr 5, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooztuncer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another competitor might be the electrocompaniet I believe...

If I had $1000ish to spend on a DAC I'm not sure I'd even bother looking at anything else. Simply put listening to that DAC w/ a highly modified EAR+ HD amp (Voodoochile's old rig) was one of the most memorable listening experiences I've had.

Apr 5, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 14
^^ hehe I also remember that rig - simply mind blowing system. I am trying to narrow the choices but,as usual, the more I read the more I get confused.

My latest perhaps-this-is-the-correct-one candidate is the cec da53...

Apr 10, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 14
well, i decided to go with a good source first - spent half of my budget on a denon 3910, which means that I am transferred to Best-DAC-up to $400 thread, lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 14
sorry to bump this thread but I did't want to create a new one.

I am wondering if anybody asked Theta to do some modifications, let's say converting a dspro basic to a gen Va (parts and circuitry)? I already sent an e-mail to them but if you already did something like that please post the mods + the cost of it - thanks...

Apr 15, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #13 of 14
Well, in case if someone else wonders (for future reference) here is the reply from Theta:

Dear Mr. Oztuncer,

The basic is a completely different model from the Generation series models you are enquiring about. I'm sorry. One model cannot be turned into the other model.

Sincerely,

Bruce Williams,
Theta Tech Support Team

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had $1000ish to spend on a DAC I'm not sure I'd even bother looking at anything else. Simply put listening to that DAC w/ a highly modified EAR+ HD amp (Voodoochile's old rig) was one of the most memorable listening experiences I've had.

right now the monarchy m24 is the only tubed component i'm eyeing; need to get my hands on one and give it a listen. maybe it sounds so good because its analog section is actually cared for as opposed to other dacs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back