Theta Cobalt 307 DAC opinions needed?
May 4, 2004 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kunwar

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all
Has anyone heard of this DAC?

What is it like in terms of build quality.
How does it compare to something like say the Benchmark Dac1 or the Grace 901

Thanks to everyone for reading adn your input.
Cheers
Kunwar

May 4, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 9
This is an old dac of about 1992-1993 vintage. This was thetas cheapest dac at the time(or ever come to think of it) and it didnt use their special software digital filter. I didnt think it was very good(especially for the $600 price) and there were several dac's from this time period I liked better. With the advances in digital technology in just the past few years, I dont see how this dac could even remotely compete with the dac's of today. I would bet the grace 901 and benchmark dac 1 would completely outclass the theta cobalt in every way.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 9
As was already mentioned, the Cobalt was Theta's entry level dac and didn't sound much better than built in dacs in receivers. The DS Pro Basic creams the Cobalt and many others dacs.

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 9
For anyone still interested in these old-gen but still highly regarded R2R DACs by Theta check out these threads:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-kinda-sucks-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff

It looks like Theta DS Pro Gen V is the best of the old-gen Theta breed, using a Burr-Brown PCM63.

This link contains a discussion of all Theta legacy products, some design details and the technological context. Very informative read:
http://www.thetadigital.com/legacy_products.shtml

This list features a HUGE number of DACs and their technical specs, namely chipsets used:
http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

THETA COBALT 307 DAC used:
1 x PCM67P-K - CXD1244 - CS8412-CP

For reference:
THETA DS PRO BASIC
2 x AD1860 / PCM61P-K - Motorola 56001
THETA DS PRO BASIC II
2 x PCM67P + 2 x Motorola 56001

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 9
Hi all
Has anyone heard of this DAC?

What is it like in terms of build quality.
How does it compare to something like say the Benchmark Dac1 or the Grace 901

Thanks to everyone for reading adn your input.
Cheers
Kunwar

I picked one up a few months back on Ebay. Despite being Theta's entry level DAC, I find it be quite engaging. It has a  really nice 3d/holographic sound with nice detail. It's somewhat warm and  pleasant.. Quite enjoyable imho.

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 9
  I installed a home theater last year with Theta surround Processor / Dac and amps. Outstanding SQ but very Pricey

Do you mean a Theta Casablanca? Here people tend to rate highly older Theta products, approximately up to 1994 with the Theta Gen V. I've read little and less about devices newer than that...

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 9
It was a Casablanca 4, with Generation VIII 2 channel dac / pre for front LR using 10 Prometheus mono block amps 7-1  fronts bi amped L,R,C
Outstanding System but like I said pricey  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back