These Ultimate Ears UE-5c IEM's sure are incredible...
Nov 25, 2006 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SLCentral

Head-Fier
Now that I've had the UE-5c's for a few months, I think it's safe to say that I'm ready to post my impressions on them, so here goes. I'll try to make this to the point and not too long, as I don't have the patience nor the technical knowledge to write too much
biggrin.gif

About Me: I've ONLY listened to IEM's, and have literally zero experiences with any high-end cans, so keep that in mind. I'm also by no means no "audiophile." I appreciate good audio, but honestly, couldn't tell you about the frequencys of the UE-5c's, or anything like that
wink.gif
. Well, I started out with the Shure e2c's, and moved my way up the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro IEM's. Anyways, from the Super.Fi's, I moved on up to the UE-5c. Yeah, $550 is a lot to shell out for a set of earphones, but I figured that considering I love music so much and I listen to so much of it, it's a purchase I could justify.

Ordering: I placed the order for the 5c's in early July, and went to NYC to get impressions made. Got them from an office near Times Square for $50 flat. Took about 15 minutes, and was mildly uncomfortable, but nothing that was a big deal. Sent the impressions to UE, and got my headphones in about two weeks. At first, I thought they were perfect, but after a few hours of listening, I realized that they were far too tight, and actually caused pain and redness after only a few minutes of listening. After the weekend, I sent them back to UE, telling them what was wrong.

Surprisingly, UE sent them back rather quickly, however using Fedex Ground. This time, they surely were better, but still, the right earbud was too tight, and the left was almost perfect, but still, a bit too tight. I sent them back once again. However, I was leaving for Europe for two weeks just a week and a few days later, and I wanted to make sure that I would have them back in time. After a quick phone call to UE, they offered to send them back to me via Fedex Overnight. Now that's service.

Got them back in two/three days, and once again, they weren't perfect. Sent them back, and got them back again in a couple days (upgraded to Overnight, for free, once again). This time, they were just about perfect. Went to Europe, tested them out for a few weeks, and realized that I wasn't going to bother sending them in again. I still havent sent them in, but now I'm realizing it wouldn't hurt. The left earbud is slightly "tigher" then the right one, which makes things a bit weird, but honestly, it's very minor.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the UE service, and their goal to make sure the customer is satisfied, whether it takes 5 refits, or sending headphones out via Fedex Overnight multiple times.

Initial Impressions: Wow. Once I had received my final pair of UE-5c's, this was the only thing that could go through my brain. I know, I know, how cliche, but seriously, wow. Because I blew all my money on the earbuds, I'm using this unamped from my iBook, as well as from my iPod Mini. I KNOW, I need an amp, but honestly, I just can't afford one, and they sound amazing to me as they are. I first tested it out with a FLAC rip of "Money" from "Dark Side of the Moon," and I was completely, jaws on the floor, eyes popping open, speechless. Closing my eyes, I could literally imagine the sounds of the cash registers in the opening of the sound surrounding me. I know that IEM's aren't known for their soundstage, but this was incredible. Next up was a FLAC rip of "Hello" by "Oasis." I didn't like how there was some distortion in the beginning of the song, which is fairly quiet, but as soon as it started up, once again, I was floored. However, I did notice that instrument separation wasn't as nice as I'd like it to be, but the punchy bass, excellent highs, and smooth vocals made up for it.

I then loaded up my FLAC rip of "Yellow" by Coldplay, and was floored once again. As the vocals started, I literally was in disbelief. The amount of detail, emotion, and passion these earphones put out is just unable to be described in words. I wish that high end headphones/earphones were more readily available and marketed to the public, because this is an experience that everyone should have. I'm a huge Coldplay fan, and listening to their CD's with these headphones have really impressed me. I feel a connection to the music, as dumb as that sounds, that I've never felt before. Soundstage is extremely good for IEM's, bass is punchy, but not overly so, and the mids and lows stand out as very impressive. Vocals are indescribable.

I decided to finish it off with a classical piece, so I fired up a FLAC version of Claire De Lune. I know, cliche, but I enjoy it. Needless to say, I was stunned yet again. I know words don't say much, but it just really sounded rich, smooth, and passionate. I know those aren't "audiphile" terms, but I can't really think of any other way to describe it otherwise.

Not only do they sound phenominal, but the amount of isolation they provide is excellent. With music playing, I was able to drown out ALL airplane noise when travelling overseas. At home, when my 5c's are on, I'm actually in another world. I can't hear anything, even when people are literally SCREAMING right next to me. I don't play my music strangely loud, either
smily_headphones1.gif

Conclusion: Honestly, $600+ after shipping is a lot of money to spend on a set of earphones. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to justify it on delivery. Now, I can. I've been listening to these for a good three months, almost everyday, and I'm 100% impressed. I really enjoy the UE signature sound, much more then the Shure sound, but of course, thats my preference. I love the 5c's, and although they are a bit boomy, I find it pleasant, and by all means not overbearing, but just enough to be fun. The UE-10's may be a more analytical earphone with higher accuracy, but I can't see myself enjoying those. These are for personal listening, nothing that requires 100% accuracy with my sound, and I'd rather have a more fun signature sound that the 5c brings to the table.

To put it blunt: if you're looking for an incredible custom-fit earphone, that literally feels like there's nothing in your ears once properly fit, yet sound amazing, the 5c is where it's at. When listening to music, I can close my eyes, and literally feel like I'm at the studio. No set of earphone has ever been able to do that for me, and the experience is truly too amazing for words.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCentral /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because I blew all my money on the earbuds, I'm using this unamped from my iBook, as well as from my iPod Mini. I KNOW, I need an amp, but honestly, I just can't afford one, and they sound amazing to me as they are.

UE designed the UE-5c for people to use with their portable devices. I'm not saying there won't be improvement with an amp, but it may not make a big enough difference to you for portable use. I believe 100% in the positive effect my home amp has on my full-size headphones, but I've used a few portable amps with my various mp3 players and I haven't found that it's worth the extra hassle.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE designed the UE-5c for people to use with their portable devices. I'm not saying there won't be improvement with an amp, but it may not make a big enough difference to you for portable use. I believe 100% in the positive effect my home amp has on my full-size headphones, but I've used a few portable amps with my various mp3 players and I haven't found that it's worth the extra hassle.

That's what I've been reading as well. From what I've heard, the fifth generation iPods don't need an amp for the UE-5c, but the older models (such as my Mini) benefit from it. Honestly, I wouldn't want to carry around an amp for a SLIGHT sound increase. At home, that's a different story, but I'm pretty content with what I have. Maybe if there's another Head-Fi meet in NYC sometime soon I'll bring mine over and see how they sound amped
tongue.gif

And yes, I'm VERY curious about the UE-10, but not $900 curious
biggrin.gif
. Right now I'm listening to the Fountain soundtrack, and it sounds phenomenal.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 13
Want to post a comparison to the sufer.fi you own? Love to hear what each person says that upgrade.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

That's what I've been reading as well. From what I've heard, the fifth generation iPods don't need an amp for the UE-5c, but the older models (such as my Mini) benefit from it. Honestly, I wouldn't want to carry around an amp for a SLIGHT sound increase. At home, that's a different story, but I'm pretty content with what I have. Maybe if there's another Head-Fi meet in NYC sometime soon I'll bring mine over and see how they sound amped
tongue.gif

And yes, I'm VERY curious about the UE-10, but not $900 curious
biggrin.gif
. Right now I'm listening to the Fountain soundtrack, and it sounds phenomenal.

Haha... it never ends. Going to a meet is an excellent idea as long as you can be honest with yourself
wink.gif
. I get caught in the trap (not so much in audiophilia but other things) of buying things because of the hype, quite a bit.

As far as the UE-10 goes... I'm with you. I would really like to hear what they sound like, but not for $900. I have been toying with the idea of buying the UE-5cs, though
eek.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Want to post a comparison to the sufer.fi you own? Love to hear what each person says that upgrade.

They're actually very similar. I think most of the difference comes more from the fit rather then the drivers (in fact, I think they're based upon the same design). The fit gives a much tighter seal, giving a cleaner sound, cleaner bass, and definitely more pronounced highs, lows, and even mids. To be honest, I haven't done a lot of side by side tests between the two, but when I sent out my 5c's for refitting, I'd use my 5 pros for those few days, and the difference is there. And it's big.

If you have the money, the 5 pro to the 5c upgrade is one that is by all means worth it. It's hard to believe the sound that can come out of these little things.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

They're actually very similar. I think most of the difference comes more from the fit rather then the drivers (in fact, I think they're based upon the same design). The fit gives a much tighter seal, giving a cleaner sound, cleaner bass, and definitely more pronounced highs, lows, and even mids. To be honest, I haven't done a lot of side by side tests between the two, but when I sent out my 5c's for refitting, I'd use my 5 pros for those few days, and the difference is there. And it's big.

If you have the money, the 5 pro to the 5c upgrade is one that is by all means worth it. It's hard to believe the sound that can come out of these little things.

I agree that they are worth it. I think a lot of the soud goes into how they are tuned differently and how they are made and design of the customs. Each UE-5c is customed tuned because each ear is different and the desigh affects the overall sound thus they need to custom tune each so they sound about the same.

Ohh and I only had a short period with the super.fi to do a comparison so what i heard may not bee all that acurate, but i would love to do a longer comparison.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that they are worth it. I think a lot of the soud goes into how they are tuned differently and how they are made and design of the customs. Each UE-5c is customed tuned because each ear is different and the desigh affects the overall sound thus they need to custom tune each so they sound about the same.

Ohh and I only had a short period with the super.fi to do a comparison so what i heard may not bee all that acurate, but i would love to do a longer comparison.

They custom tune each and every UE-5c? I find that a little hard to believe.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They custom tune each and every UE-5c? I find that a little hard to believe.

Well, with regards to the fit in your ears. The bore length and positioning is what is at play here.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, with regards to the fit in your ears. The bore length and positioning is what is at play here.

Oh ok...I thought he meant by custom tuning the drivers themselves.
600smile.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #12 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back