these "Shure" are itchy!!
Oct 2, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by HellaChinese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm a nurse, and we've actually had people come in with the same problem with IEM headphones.

it turns out you probably have a small ear infection. by constantly using IEMS, you're essentially re-inoculating yourself with bacteria in your ear. some people are more prone to these infections than others.

try not using them for a while and let the itching go away. lysol those foamies and try again.

You know, i've told my ENT several times that I believe I have a chronic ear infection that comes and goes. This is regardless of using IEMs (I didn't use them for about a year). They always say i'm fine. To me, having ear infection symptoms (pain, throbbing, excessive liquid, pressure, etc) any time i'm sleep deprived, physically exhausted, or very stressed, shows that there's something going on inside my ear(s). From what i've discussed with others, this pattern of reactionary symptoms doesn't seem to be normal. Also, the frequent liquid in the ears and seeming lack of earwax/cerumen is disconcerting. It's almost like my body's version of earwax is now liquid or soemthing. But again, the doctors i've seen said everythng is OK. I don't believe them. My ears didn't used to function this way.

As a nurse, i'm wondering if you have any ideas on this... a few years back I overdosed on Aspirin and my ears rang for about 3 days afterwards. Could this have had a permanent effect on my ears, similar to the changes i've mentioned above?

I am also wondering if Hydrogen Peroxide would work for cleaning the rubber tips.

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, i've told my ENT several times that I believe I have a chronic ear infection that comes and goes. This is regardless of using IEMs (I didn't use them for about a year). They always say i'm fine. To me, having ear infection symptoms (pain, throbbing, excessive liquid, pressure, etc) any time i'm sleep deprived, physically exhausted, or very stressed, shows that there's something going on inside my ear(s). From what i've discussed with others, this pattern of reactionary symptoms doesn't seem to be normal. Also, the frequent liquid in the ears and seeming lack of earwax/cerumen is disconcerting. It's almost like my body's version of earwax is now liquid or soemthing. But again, the doctors i've seen said everythng is OK. I don't believe them. My ears didn't used to function this way.

As a nurse, i'm wondering if you have any ideas on this... a few years back I overdosed on Aspirin and my ears rang for about 3 days afterwards. Could this have had a permanent effect on my ears, similar to the changes i've mentioned above?

I am also wondering if Hydrogen Peroxide would work for cleaning the rubber tips.

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, aspirin overdoses can cause permanent hearing loss. This sensorineural hearing loss is attributed to damage to the nerve that sends the sound signals to the brain.

Itching, pain, etc. isn't normally attributed to an aspirin overdose. You have a lot of tell tale signs of an infection.

Normally, white people have more "liquid" cerumen whilst Asians have a solid type earwax. However, if this liquid is different than your normal earwax, it might actually be pus. Is this yellow liquid smelly?

Also, do you clean your ears a lot? Frequent q-tip use, ear picking, and over-cleaning ears, even with hydrogen peroxide can lead to more frequent infections

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #18 of 24
How often should you clean your ears?

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by david21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These "shure" are itchy

or...

These SURE are itchy
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, and exactly.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Normally, white people have more "liquid" cerumen[snip]

Well, it didn't used to be that way for me. At least when I was a kid. Kinda wierd that it would change.

Quote:

However, if this liquid is different than your normal earwax, it might actually be pus. Is this yellow liquid smelly?

Generally speaking, yes I believe so.

Quote:

Also, do you clean your ears a lot? Frequent q-tip use, ear picking, and over-cleaning ears, even with hydrogen peroxide can lead to more frequent infections

I use Qtips very very rarely, on account of the lack of earwax the majority of the time. That been said, I do end up using my pinky finger(tip) to get some of the liquid (feels like water) out of there, because for whatever reason I many times can't seem to get it out with Qtips or tissue. Don't use peroxide in my ears. One thing that i'm sure is bad, is that i've gotten in the habit of letting water run in them during showers. Not really sure when I started doing that. It's hard for me, because my skin is very oily, especially around my ears, and it's very difficult if not impossible to clean all the oil off my ears without getting water into the ear canal. And if I get water in there it's usually got soap as well so I have to rinse out the soap. ugh.

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Crap. I gotta stop cleaning my ears daily with Q-tips.

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #23 of 24
Of the different/new tips above, which would/will fit more snugly than the grey silicon ones, and still be moderately comfortable? I do not have any comfort issues with these tips, however, since they are plastic, they tend to loosen their seal when i'm sweaty and/or my ears are more oily or whatever than usual.

Ideally the new tips I get will maybe be a little bigger? I don't like the foamy tips... they seem to get a pretty good seal, but lose their density (?) pretty quickly, meaning that I have to buy and use a lot of them. Not my cup of tea. I am using the Small grey silicon tips right now. If I use the Medium tips I get and maintain a good seal, but they hurt. What is roughly the size/width of the Medium grey silicon tips, without the pressure and pain?

Also, my left ear canal must be bigger or shaped wierd or something, because I have to continually push that side back in to get a good seal and have it sound "right".

Thank you.

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #24 of 24
Have you tried the Shure black olives? They don't lose their density like the yellow foams and last much, much longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back