These keep getting better and better!
Mar 7, 2008 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

riffjaff

New Head-Fier
Throughout the day I have spent listening to my most heavily listened genre, electronica (mostly trance/house)to see if my newly acquired Altec Lansing im716's were up to the test. They passed for the most part. I can't say they were perfect because I do not have an amp to fully power the phones and these are my first ever iem's. I can say that they are completely redefining my definition of what bass is supposed to sound like.

For the record, so far I've listened to random shows on BBC Radio 1's iPlayer along with some of my favorite Global Underground mixes.

The bass is spectacular. Clean and crisp, adding a great low end to the music without drowning out the highs and mids. It's not overpowering to my eardrums where I have to turn down the volume to avoid a headache. My marshmallows on the other hand simply throw out a loud booming thud that just mushes together. I still love them though for when I want to have more fun listening to my music and don't really care about details and overall sound.

I'm really liking the sound signature of the im716's. I had originally thought that the bass would be non-existent or barely there from what I've heard about the Ety sig, but these are to my liking. To anyone thinking about stepping into the audiophile world with their first IEM, I would gladly recommend them if you're music tastes are similar to mine.

Unfortunately, I've read numerous times that these phones are hindered by inadequate powering from sources like the iPod so I guess I'm still not hearing how these phones really sound. My budget for my extracurricular activities was pretty much used just to buy these things, so I'm going to have to wait a while to buy a decent headphone amp. They sound better coming from my laptop, but it really drains my iPod battery. Overall, I'm so glad I bought them and can't stop listening to my music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back