Therion - Gothic Kabbalah - poor mastering?
Mar 1, 2009 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moogoob

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally got this album. Took me long enough- eh?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well, maybe it's this awful cold I've just caught (roommate works in a hospital, so he brings all sorts of interesting diseases home), but despite me loving the album as a whole, I can't get past the horrid, loud scratchy highs and mids. Right now, I've actually engaged my iTunes EQ with my 325i goldies. I've never, ever had to do that, even with Therion's other albums.

Am I just crazy?

EDIT: I'm listening to Ship of Luna off of Deggial and it sounds much nicer. Maybe they just need to hire a better engineer?

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 5
I've got it on vinyl and it sounds pretty good - not the best mastering for dynamics IMO, but the EQ seems fine. Some of the brighter instruments are prominent in the mix at times - could that be what's bugging you, combined with the enhanced upper-mid reproduction of your Grados?
I'll have to listen to it tonight and get back to you.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Could be what you've said. I gave it a bit more of a listen last night, and the instruments (guitars etc) are pretty nice. The vocals though...

I'd still be willing to chalk it up to this awful cold that's been going around.

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 5
I finally got around to listening to this again, in its entirety. I think it's EQ'd very well, and I retract what I said earlier about the dynamics not being good - I think they are very good.
Such an awesome album - thanks for giving me the reason to listen to it again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 5
No problem! I've worked out that the problem was actually with me- my sinuses were hella clogged and must have been doing something to my hearing. Album sounds fine now. Weird.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back