There's something in the water in Boston.
May 20, 2008 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

aaron313

Headphoneus Supremus
For all those MLB fans, what do you think about the fact that there have been four no-hitters tossed by RedSox players in the last seven or so years? (Oh, and don't forget Curt Schilling's 8 2/3 no-no last season) That's just insane. I think a good deal of it has to do with the catcher, Jason Varitek, catching all four (which is a record). I hate the RedSox so damn much, but I am impressed by their no-no's.

May 20, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For all those MLB fans, what do you think about the fact that there have been four no-hitters tossed by RedSox players in the last seven or so years? (Oh, and don't forget Curt Schilling's 8 2/3 no-no last season) That's just insane. I think a good deal of it has to do with the catcher, Jason Varitek, catching all four (which is a record). I hate the RedSox so damn much, but I am impressed by their no-no's.

QFT. It really is amazing. Just think, in all the 45+ years of the Mets there has never been a no-hitter.

I haven't looked at the home-away rates of the Boston no-nos. I wonder what the ratio is. Could it be the park? I think your argument about Varitek is a good one. He's a damn good backstop.

May 20, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT. It really is amazing. Just think, in all the 45+ years of the Mets there has never been a no-hitter.

I haven't looked at the home-away rates of the Boston no-nos. I wonder what the ratio is. Could it be the park? I think your argument about Varitek is a good one. He's a damn good backstop.

It's shocking that the Mets don't have one.

And it could be that Fenway is a magical place. I mean, Mike Mussina was one out from a Perfect game there. So many other great moments.

Oh, I actually have a stat that's more impressive than Boston's no-no's, and it, of course, has to do with the Yankees. What about the fact that they threw Perfect games in consecutive seasons (David Wells and David Cone)? And the fact that David Cone's occurred on the 50th anniversary of Don Larsen's WS Perfect game. I think that might be the most magical coincidence in the history of sports. Plus, only 17 perfect games, versus 239 no-no's: 239/17 = 14. So by my calculations consecutive perfect games versus consecutive no-hitters: 14 times more impressive.

Oh, but it gets better. More impressive than what the Yankees did was Johnny Vander Meer (who?) throwing consecutive no-hitters. That is a record that can never be broken.

But I think the most impressive baseball achievement is the 20K game. Kerry Wood did it, allowing only one ball out of the infield. That is likely the most dominant pitching performance ever, although the weather at Wrigley was just ridiculous that day.

I am completely obsessed with numbers, which is a huge part of why I love sports. And Baseball is the ultimate "numbers" sport. When someone tells me that baseball is boring, I tell them that, yes, the games might at times be slow, but reading the stats in the paper is always a treat.

May 20, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 20
Boston tap water is the best water in the world
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 20
The Celtics have been drinking that water lately too. Pats too. Sheesh, time to bring the Whalers back and freeze that water into the rink!

May 20, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

It's shocking that the Mets don't have one.

And it could be that Fenway is a magical place. I mean, Mike Mussina was one out from a Perfect game there. So many other great moments.

Oh, I actually have a stat that's more impressive than Boston's no-no's, and it, of course, has to do with the Yankees. What about the fact that they threw Perfect games in consecutive seasons (David Wells and David Cone)? And the fact that David Cone's occurred on the 50th anniversary of Don Larsen's WS Perfect game. I think that might be the most magical coincidence in the history of sports. Plus, only 17 perfect games, versus 239 no-no's: 239/17 = 14. So by my calculations consecutive perfect games versus consecutive no-hitters: 14 times more impressive.

Oh, but it gets better. More impressive than what the Yankees did was Johnny Vander Meer (who?) throwing consecutive no-hitters. That is a record that can never be broken.

But I think the most impressive baseball achievement is the 20K game. Kerry Wood did it, allowing only one ball out of the infield. That is likely the most dominant pitching performance ever, although the weather at Wrigley was just ridiculous that day.

I am completely obsessed with numbers, which is a huge part of why I love sports. And Baseball is the ultimate "numbers" sport. When someone tells me that baseball is boring, I tell them that, yes, the games might at times be slow, but reading the stats in the paper is always a treat.

Nice stats! The Perfect Game is truly amazing. That Vander Meer thing is unbelievable. Who knows if anyone will throw consecutive complete games again, let alone consecutive no hitters! I like stats also, but right now I am too busy grading papers to look them up. I like the 9-pitch-strike-out-the-side stat. Can't remember how many times that has been done. Didn't Clemens also do the 20K thing? Was it twice? But Wood was the first, right? Was it Carlton who had the previous record of 19? Can't remember right now. Amazing the kinds of records that we've been able to see fall in our lifetime. I am still hugely impressed by Ichiro breaking the hits record.

It's cool that you are a fan of pitching in the age of the long ball. I share your affinity for the pitcher's art. Pitching and defense is my favorite aspect of the game. I really think baseball is a pitcher's sport. This is one of the major things that distinguishes it from cricket, which is a batter's sport. It is also why, despite my passion for baseball, I have never really been into cricket.

May 20, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

I agree, that was the best pitching in the world, ever. Wood was a 20 year old rookie. One hit, no walks. Amazing

May 20, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 20
Boston has been the best sports town for the last few years, IMO. Where else have you seen Hockey/Football/Soccer/Baseball/Basket Ball teams all making playoffs? It's gotta be the water and some clam chowder.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 20
Clemens did it twice, in 1986 and 1996. Although he might've had some help with the second one...

Randy Johnson has one as well. That's no knock on Woods, who was untouchable that day

Fenway's a tough place for a no-no, Huge right field, short left field and very little foul territory. Varitek is definitely a factor, and the record is even more impressive when you think of the pitchers who threw the four no-hitters (Nome, Lowe, Buccholtz and Lester). Not bad pitchers, but not exactly household names.

May 20, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clemens did it twice, in 1986 and 1996. Although he might've had some help with the second one...

Randy Johnson has one as well. That's no knock on Woods, who was untouchable that day

The thing that sets Wood apart from Johnson and Clemens is that Wood struck out 20 when he wasn't even old enough to drink yet, and he was a rookie. Also, keep in mind that Wood allowed only one hit and no walks.

Johnson and Clemens are more accomplished pitchers in their career, though.

May 20, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice stats! The Perfect Game is truly amazing. That Vander Meer thing is unbelievable. Who knows if anyone will throw consecutive complete games again, let alone consecutive no hitters! I like stats also, but right now I am too busy grading papers to look them up. I like the 9-pitch-strike-out-the-side stat. Can't remember how many times that has been done. Didn't Clemens also do the 20K thing? Was it twice? But Wood was the first, right? Was it Carlton who had the previous record of 19? Can't remember right now. Amazing the kinds of records that we've been able to see fall in our lifetime. I am still hugely impressed by Ichiro breaking the hits record.

It's cool that you are a fan of pitching in the age of the long ball. I share your affinity for the pitcher's art. Pitching and defense is my favorite aspect of the game. I really think baseball is a pitcher's sport. This is one of the major things that distinguishes it from cricket, which is a batter's sport. It is also why, despite my passion for baseball, I have never really been into cricket.

20K data from wikipedia:

* Randy Johnson, Arizona Diamondbacks (NL), May 8, 2001, vs. Cincinnati. This game went 11 innings. Johnson recorded all 20 strikeouts in the first nine innings of work. MLB has recognized this as having tied the record.
* Kerry Wood, Chicago Cubs (NL), May 6, 1998, vs. Houston.
* Roger Clemens, Boston Red Sox (AL), Sept. 18, 1996, at Detroit.
* Roger Clemens, Boston Red Sox (AL), April 29, 1986, vs. Seattle.

Clemens has never thrown a no-hitter, and neither has Wood. As we know, Johnson has a no-hitter and a Perfect Game (at age 40!). Plus, Johnson has two 19K games. I would say that Johnson's stats suggest he is the most dominant pitcher ever, when you take into account his longevity and consistency and accuracy. He won, I believe, four consecutive Cy Youngs plus another. Not to mention that he's taken a no-hitter past five innings on countless occasions. Plus, he's not suspected of steroid use. I still think that the greatest pitching talent ever is probably Sandy Koufax, but his career was so short.

May 20, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 20
It's more impressive for an established pitcher to throw a no-hitter or get 20K. The reason is that when batters have seen your stuff for years, they are more acclimated to your pitching style. But even though you know Johnson's bringing a fastball or slider, he somehow finds a way to own you. Remember in 2002 when the Angels had K-Rod? He was untouchable because nobody had seen him before. Even Bonds couldn't touch him. Same goes for Joba last season. There have been so many rookie no-hitters in the last decade, it's ridiculous. The true measure of a pitcher is longevity and consistency, not a no-hitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back