There is something we must all agree on w/ the K701s...
Apr 8, 2006 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
That they come in sounding worse than a KSC75 in the beginning...

...and after burn-in come out to be one of the best cans in the market today, hands down.

These cans are a prime example of burn-in (that it really works), and that first impressions in life do not count
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 70
.... and yet there are people who will STILL try and convince you that your ears are lying to you.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Does anyone think they dont resemble a toilet.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 70
Just to play Devil's advocate, with 300 hours of burn-in being the currently accepted "requirement" for the K701, it's just as likely that one simply gets used to the sound signature as it is the headphones actually change.

Personally, I think they look like a prop from Star Wars. The Original Trilogy of course.
icon10.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

that... my friend is perhaps what the majority of us would agree on.

i still think burn in might be in large part psychological.... at least until i can compare several burnt-in pairs to several new pairs, all side by side.

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Just to play Devil's advocate, with 300 hours of burn-in being the currently accepted "requirement" for the K701, it's just as likely that one simply gets used to the sound signature as it is the headphones actually change.

Personally, I think they look like a prop from Star Wars. The Original Trilogy of course.
icon10.gif

Possibly, except that I've had them running 24/7 for about 2 weeks now and I only pull them out to listen for an hour or so every 3rd or 4th night.

Also, when they came in I was travelling so I asked my roomate to open them up and tell me how they sound. He said he strongly prefered my Grado SR-225s to the K701s and told me that the K701s had very little bass.

I let him try them again more recently and he said he now prefers the K701s.

The K701s simply metamorphose over burn-in. No audio equipment I've owned has ever changed as much as these phones over burn-in. The change in bass response is so easily picked out that short of being deaf, anyone could do it.

I am convinced that the bulk of the change in sound of the K701s is due to actual burn-in and only a small part perhaps due to getting used to them.

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by wang228
that... my friend is perhaps what the majority of us would agree on.

i still think burn in might be in large part psychological.... at least until i can compare several burnt-in pairs to several new pairs, all side by side.

Assuming you've had yours for a while and have played them for a good 200+ hours, you'd be shocked when you hear a new pair from the box.

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 70
Mine are blue. With stars on the headband. Jealous much?

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 70
Im going to spray paint mine gloss black with some nice car paint. hah.

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 70
Out of the box they were pretty good but bright, then at about 30 or 40 hours the sound became so disarrayed and dull that I could not listen to them at all. At about 100 hours (or a little bit earlier) the sound was pulled back together (now minus brightness), and at 150 hours the bass became more prominent. Since the changes in the sound of these phones during burning-in process reminds me that of Sony SCD-777 player, I expect minor improvements will be noticeable till up to 350 hours. Do not think the ears adjusting to the sound can create such a curve (in this long process I sampled the phones sometimes for no longer than 5 minutes).

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 70
I find burn in to be a "true" thing. I have had my HD 650's playing on the same CD for almost 9 days now and they DEFINATELY sound better/different from when I first listened to them out of the box. Right now, the treble is the most improved aspect. I don't understand how you guys say they 650's sound dull or laid back, they have PLENTY of treble.

The bass has become a LOT more articulated and tight. And the midrange keeps getting sweeter.

Since I have had the cans, I have only listened to them for about an hour total. There are about 200 hours on them now.

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
.... and yet there are people who will STILL try and convince you that your ears are lying to you.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I think they sort of look like what would happen if they built-in those urinal splash guards into the urinal porcelain itself.

But hey, they sound great! What do I care what they look like? I didn't buy them to stare at them or myself in the mirror while wearing them.

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 70
For the skepticts out there, I would love to let them hear two different pairs of K701's, one new, and one with over 300 hrs on them. This will put any doubts about break in, right out the window!
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #15 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
For the skepticts out there, I would love to let them hear two different pairs of K701's, one new, and one with over 300 hrs on them. This will put any doubts about break in, right out the window!
tongue.gif

same goes for the RS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back