There is something that confuses me about the Chaintech AV710
May 21, 2007 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

elbrickodaviso

100+ Head-Fier
From what I can gather, there is an optical out on the card that people are using for their DACs. Is there any particular advantage of using this output on the PC instead of just buying a USB-powered DAC? I ask because if there is no advantage, I'd rather keep my X-fi XtremeMusic card for my DT770/80s for gaming, and put my K701s on the computer through a USB DAC.

Please excuse me if I have something completely arse backwards
tongue.gif

May 21, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I can gather, there is an optical out on the card that people are using for their DACs. Is there any particular advantage of using this output on the PC instead of just buying a USB-powered DAC? I ask because if there is no advantage, I'd rather keep my X-fi XtremeMusic card for my DT770/80s for gaming, and put my K701s on the computer through a USB DAC.

Please excuse me if I have something completely arse backwards
tongue.gif

Some folks think there are inherent problems with USB for audio, so one is better off using a sound card directly on the PCI bus........but advocates of USB audio say there can be even worse problems with TOSLINK conversions on each end that are prone to jitter.

Personally, I have run an external USB DAC via its supplied ASIO driver over USB and via TOSLINK out of a Chaintech, and the USB route was far less problematic and sounds great.

May 21, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 4
The only reason that anyone uses the AV-710 for digital output is because it's cheap. Otherwise, you're right--a better sound card or audio interface would likely be an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back