There are good people everywhere.
Sep 17, 2002 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
I am working a very busy firehouse tonight on my first day back from 13 days off and my first day after being promoted to an officer.I still don't have a permanent assingment so I "float" to many firehouses in the city.The house I'm at today is in the very worst neighborhood in Chicago.I hate this place.When I was a Paramedic I had to work this house a few times and I swear I would respond to at least 10 shootings in a 24 hour shift day.The people in this place despise Firefighters and any other Uniformed personnel.This place is the reason I wear a bullet proof vest while I'm on duty to this day.

This day had shaped up to be one of my worst in years.I am not getting along well with the guys I'm in charge of and we are on a Advanced Life Support Engine wich means we respond to a lot of ambulance type calls and have a Firefighter/Paramedic in the company and have equipment like a defrib and EKG.We have had 22 runs today and all have been bad stuff.None of these was a fire.We had a run about two hours ago for an alarm at a fast food joint and we took off in full bunker gear ready to fight a fire.When we got there,of course it was a false alarm.After the alarm was cleared I layed my bunker coat on the rear bumper of the rig and forgot about it.We went on two more runs and I finally realized it was gone.I panicked because I have a lot of gear in my coat including the radio,an extension mic,safety beacon,flashlight,my badge,run sheets,and a few other items.We drove around to all the places we had been and couldn't find it.I was really upset and figured I was gonna have to buy all new gear at a cost of over $1500.00.I figured some drug addict found it and was now selling my stuff to get a fix.I was really suprised and grateful to find that a woman, who was obviously addicted,returned my coat.Nothing was missing and what really made this good deed most impressive is that she walked over a mile to get to the firehouse.I invited her into the house and offered her a meal which she accepted.I asked her about how she had become an addict and she was reluctant to tell me but I get the feeling she had not been so for long.I offered to give her money but she told me she should'nt take it because she was certain it would be used to buy drugs.I feel good about getting my coat back,but feel bad that I can't do more to help her.I have always known that there are good people everywhere but this just confirms it for me.Things like this always seem to happen when I am at my worst and I feel like the world is a terrible place.Even though my night is not over yet,I feel that it has been a good shift.

Sep 17, 2002 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 10
Tube,
just when you think you've seen it all...damn!
may everyone each day perform one act of kindness....
have a safe night!
md

Sep 17, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 10
Tube.

God always surprises us. Good man like you are never left by Him. He always shows up him self, making good men like you remember that we leave in a good place. And that's because others need you and you must be ready, always. Got it?

Best

Ari

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 10
What a great way to start the day, thanks for sharing Tubey. But, thanks also to you and all of your collegues across the country (firefighters, paramedics, law enforcement officers, teachers) that deal with that kind of stuff everyday.

.....Yes, I said teachers too. In my opinion, just as much heros as those who keep us safe.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 10
Hey Tube, Thanks for sharing that. I guess it's true that someone can be in a bad situation, but still be a good person, like that women. These are the people I pray for.

And Tube- Thanks for doing that tough job you do. I sleep better at night because people like you are out there, to help us and keep us safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back