Them Crooked Vultures... 11/17[can't wait]!
Oct 28, 2009 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

notmuchcash

100+ Head-Fier
Them Crooked Vultures debut album:

Their single "New Fang"

Who else has high hopes for the album?

I may pre-order in the next few days.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 15
Another single is available now:
Mind Eraser, No Chaser

dt880smile.png

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 15
I saw that, and I must say, wow. Can't wait to get the full CD quality in a week.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 15
Listening to the album right now on last.fm... I must say I really like the music, but IMO it sounds like another victim of the loudness wars; the bass drum sounds distorted on a lot of the tracks. Also a lot of passages where there is guitar on top of the rest of the sound, if the background noise drops out the guitar seems to jump in volume, I'm guessing for the same reason.

deadhorse.gif

Anyone else get any of these impressions, too? I'm really hoping there is a better quality version out there but I'm sure that's just wishful thinking. At least the music is good.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 15
Got the cd, sound its indeed affected by our beloved loudness war, but I have a feeling they were goin for the Led Zep sort of sound, reminds me a lot of Zep sound wise (listen to the first song "No one loves me & Neither do I" has Zep written all over it!) and heck I didnt even know John Paul Jones was in the band. Then it tries to blend elements of Foo fighters fast chugga chugga Dut dut tad dut dud dud tat dut style stuff with that. Its definitely a very interesting blend.

Diggin the album so far. Might well be one of the top releases of this year.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #11 of 15
got em. Well, it's loud but not really compressed so I guess I can live with it. Funny though this kinda reminds me of the Black Keys, maybe the vocals?

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 15
The first song really did it for me. I first heard it in my "History of Rock 'n Roll" course at the University of Texas, and knew I had to pick up the album. As others have mentioned, the recording quality is disappointing (no dynamics or "space"), but I listen for the music anyway. I'm not crazy about the distorted vocals either, but that's the style now I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back