Thelonius Monk with John Coltrane
Sep 4, 2001 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
This was a GREAT find. The two played together a bit, but there is very little out there in terms of recordings of the collaboration, since each was signed to a different label. This one is the only full album, and it's really incredible. Five collaborative tracks, and one alternative solo take on "Straight, No Chaser" that is as good as the original version, but a bit more bluesy.

There are actually two versions of this CD. The first is the original, released in 1961, mastered for CD in the 90s. The second is a remaster from Jazzland, "Mastered in Analog Utilizing the 20-bit k2 Super Coding System."
wink.gif
I got the remaster for $13.98, and it really is a good release. Sometimes it's a bit too "warm" for me, but overall the sound is much better than the original.

This is definitely a new "jewel" in my jazz collection.

P.S. I also found a used SACD of Miles' Sketches of Spain for $13.95 yesterday
smily_headphones1.gif
Score!

Sep 4, 2001 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Thelonius Mond with John Coltrane

ahh.. indeed, that CD is pure bliss
smily_headphones1.gif
I got it from the local library a few weeks ago when they were selling some of their old CD's for $2!

Sep 4, 2001 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 7
That CD has been on my wish list for months - literally.

Now it's gone up a few places....to #3....

Sep 4, 2001 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 7
I have Miles And Monk at Newport on LP and I see that Sony just reissued it with more tracks. Does anyone have this new CD?

Sep 6, 2001 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 7
that typo had been bugging me SO much - it was unbelievable
biggrin.gif

And I really couldn't say anything - "You misspelled Monk" sounds, well, kinda lame....

Sep 6, 2001 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

fixed the typo in the thread title...

LOL, that's odd... I fixed it at exactly the same time as Neruda did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back