The Zune is dead!
Mar 24, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #34 of 43
^ funny, because its truth.

I had never enjoyed the wireless music transfer with another person because i had never found another person with a zune... i had 3, I screw up 1 trying to change its battery, which is why i have not yet attempt to change the battery in my zune120. I have had ipods before but got rid of them, I was mad when MS drop the Zune120 and decided to go only with the touch... 16gb? 32gb? wth my music collection is over 1 TB and i already feel like im lefting too much behind.

I believe that the UI of the zune is its the best feature. and the zune pad. the big con is, no LOD for zune.

Sadly for those who like to carry lots of music around, the ipod 160gb seems to be the only reliable way to go.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #37 of 43

Quote:
Well isn't the Zune software still alive, just built on Windows Mobile?  Still, Apple pretty much crushes everything in its path, tablets are next

Yes the Zune software still lives on in Windows Phone Mobile devices (I hate the ordering of that OS's name, it's much easier to say Windows Mobile or Windows Mobile Phone).

I just went to a Microsoft Store today and they're still selling the Zune HD for now. $169 USD for the 16GB, $199 USD for the 32GB I believe.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #38 of 43
Well isn't the Zune software still alive, just built on Windows Mobile?  Still, Apple pretty much crushes everything in its path, tablets are next

Unless Apple acquires Google, they're screwed in the phones and tablets. Android is gaining some serious popularity and power. As soon as people learn to combat the fanboy pull, Android is going to crush all in it's path. Which actually, despite what MS want's to do, means if the Zune is going to compete, it needs a custom Android OS as opposed to a custom Windows mobile OS.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #39 of 43

Quote:
Quote:

Unless Apple acquires Google, they're screwed in the phones and tablets. Android is gaining some serious popularity and power. As soon as people learn to combat the fanboy pull, Android is going to crush all in it's path. Which actually, despite what MS want's to do, means if the Zune is going to compete, it needs a custom Android OS as opposed to a custom Windows mobile OS.

I agree with the tablets and phones part, Android devices are definitely becoming more powerful than iOS. I'm hoping my next media player purchase will be an Android device over an iPod. Customization for the win, iOS is getting really boring to me.

The only reason why I'm hesitant about buying an Android device is its app market. I use my iPod Touch for music, light internet browsing, learning Chinese, and as a pocket dictionary. I browsed through the Android Market apps today and I only found 1 free dictionary app available..the others were trials. No other portable media device that I know of can do all of those. The Cowon D3 is the closest thing I think, but even so, its compatibility with the Android Market is very limited.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #40 of 43
I agree with the tablets and phones part, Android devices are definitely becoming more powerful than iOS. I'm hoping my next media player purchase will be an Android device over an iPod. Customization for the win, iOS is getting really boring to me.

The only reason why I'm hesitant about buying an Android device is its app market. I use my iPod Touch for music, light internet browsing, learning Chinese, and as a pocket dictionary. I browsed through the Android Market apps today and I only found 1 free dictionary app available..the others were trials. No other portable media device that I know of can do all of those. The Cowon D3 is the closest thing I think, but even so, its compatibility with the Android Market is very limited.

It really depends on the device. A lot of them restrict parts of the app store unless you root them or mod it in some way to get the full, unrestricted app store, so depending on what you were using, there may be more out there. I know Archos restricts a lot but it can be modded to replace the Archos app store with the full Android one. And I believe that once Android really does get support that iOS has been hogging, the app store will get massive anyway.

But really, give me a Android device with a touchscreen for menus and browsing, and tactile music controls, a microSD slot, and reasonable firmware support from the manufacturer (rockbox is not an android replacement, or even properly implemented into it yet)

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #41 of 43
I dunno about that, Apple considerably undercuts every other tablet due to full control of its supply chain.  As far as I know, the lowest iPad model is considerably cheaper than tablets with similar specs, and the iPad has the built in "brand" value.  Trust me, I'm no Apple fanboy, but they literally created the market, and they know how to compete against the new entrants to the market.

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #43 of 43

Quote:
I dunno about that, Apple considerably undercuts every other tablet due to full control of its supply chain.  As far as I know, the lowest iPad model is considerably cheaper than tablets with similar specs, and the iPad has the built in "brand" value.  Trust me, I'm no Apple fanboy, but they literally created the market, and they know how to compete against the new entrants to the market.

While that may be somewhat true, I think a lot of the iPad hype has to do specifically for 1. the name Apple and 2. the App Store.

Without the App Store, in my opinion, I don't think the iPad would do so well in the 'tablet' world. I think the main reason why I hear people buy iPads is because it's for "my child" or "grandchildren" or "children" to play with since they loooove [insert crazy popular game here] on their iPod Touch.

I can't say much about the Windows 7 or Android OS tablets since I don't know of anyone interested in one....myself included. My reasoning is that I don't have a need for one at the moment. As a college student, I am pretty content with my 1st gen unibody aluminum Macbook (non-pro). If I need to jot down a few quick notes, check my e-mail accounts, look something up in a dictionary, or spend a few minutes to learn a Chinese word/character, I have my 2G iPod Touch to handle that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back