The ZEN X-Fi revealed!
Jun 29, 2008 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

G-man

Formerly known as gautam
epiZENter.net: Fansite for Creative MP3 players: Comments

Been expecting this for some time, but will it live up to its expectations (from me)
No details on prices, or capacity, but i hope that the stupid SD card integration problem is gone. The two "X-Fi" techs look interesting. waht the website says:

X-Fi Crystalizer intelligently restores details that were lost during compression of audio files. It makes audio richer and clearer, delivering sound that is closer to the original quality.

Probably not of much use, unless the thing cant support a decent lossless format (no WAV for me)

X-Fi Expand gives audio a realistic and natural feel. It moves the sound away from your ears and repositions it in front of you - as if listening to a live performance on stage. X-Fi Expand works best with your earphones or headphones.

Again, is interesting, but i would probably not go near it, i like my music pure.

But what i do love is, Wi-Fi, and that its small. i don't like the speakers, add weight, expense etc. but, hopefully they will release one without them, creative often release multiple versions of the same thing.

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 11
Now i know why they didnt make XMOD standalone.

anyway...X-Fi Zen is great for low bit-rate music listeners.

lossless files are only screwed up if passed through X-Fi

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 11
hmm... they tried to integrate 9 cellphone buttons in it. i hope it has a mozilla or opera browser in it.
and the screen size is not announced yet... i hope its bigger than 3 inch. i cant stand 2.5 inch screen anymore.
so... is this or ipod touch? getting tougher...

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 11
A bit of info is available on it because people can download the software already, there doesn't seem to be a browser, it couldn't be very useful on what again looks like a 2.5 inch screen anyway (apparently the player itself is about the same size as the Zen), and the SD card slot is still not integrated.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 11
Does the software say the SD slot is not integrated? either way, it looks like i am definately going to getting this. it has soo many things i want. And, probably better value for money an Itouch.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 11
Jun 29, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's an image from the software here:
epiZENter.net: Fansite for Creative MP3 players: Forums / ZEN X-Fi / What shortcomings of the Zen do you hope will be fixed with the Zen X-Fi

Damn...
frown.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 11
ZEN X-Fi is official now.
Cnet has some coverage from the Singaporean launch.
Meanwhile several other sites calculated SG$ pricing given in the official press release.

Addition of the X-Fi technology to ZEN is a logical extension to Creative have been doing in sound cards for years, glad to see that happen, but what really makes me enthusiastic is the inclusion of Ep830 earphones. Finally no more crappy earbuds. Hope this will set a new trend among mp3 manufacturers.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 11
Personally I'd rather they gave an option of whether you wanted premium buds/IEMs or not, like offer it as an accessory which is say bundled by default for the clueless, or just keep the crappy stock buds. I can't be the only one who has no interest in paying for something I'll never use.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 11
i know as much as you just reading that info now

as for sound quality ZENs are usually top notch
(compare: Audiophile MP3 players, by the numbers | MP3 Insider - CNET Reviews )

The inclusion of X-Fi technology does not so much improves quality as it makes music sound nicer - think of it as an enhancer that you can turn on or off. I have X-Fi sound card and like the effect, usually.

Good to see this option with an ipod, sorry, an mp3 player now.

As for MTP and type of a plug - I don't find any info on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back