The Young Gods - Everybody Knows
Oct 23, 2010 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rehabitat

1000+ Head-Fier
New album, coming November 5.

I'm excited, especially after hearing the third track here http://www.myspace.com/theyounggods

For those of you who have never heard of them, I snipped the following from http://www.side-line.com
"The Young Gods (TYG) is a Swiss Post-industrial band. The band's lineup has  generally consisted of a vocalist, a sampler operator and a drummer. Their instrumentation often includes sampled electric guitars, drums, keyboards, and other samples.  The lyrics are depicted in English, French and German.

Their name is taken from an early EP by the no wave/industrial rock band Swans. Artists influenced by The Young Gods include Mike Patton, Sepultura, The Edge (as stated in U2 by U2), Devin Townsend, Econoline Crush and David Bowie. When Bowie was asked in 1995 if his album "Outside" was influenced by Nine Inch Nails he answered: "No. I was influenced by a Swiss band called The Young Gods."".

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 4
Their last studio album didn't quite grow on me, so I'm gonna turn down my expectation this time... looking forward seeing them at Hellfest '11 though.

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 4
I thought it was a fine album overall.  Some of the tracks were a bit sketchy, but I have to admire them for being consistently progressive.  I know that they are sounding more retro these days, but they pull it off in a much more original fashion than anyone else with this kind of sound.  Btw some of the tracks on Superready are live monsters, from what I've collected from dime.

One thing I always dig is the mix of French and English.  It keeps it mysterious and romantic for me (I don't know much French).

It's interesting to note that for for the last decade, they've said that they only sample themselves.  So it's good to see them challenge themselves yet again by re-learning old instruments after such a long time and integrating them into their sets and increasingly into the studio works.  The young Vincent Hanni is a good influence it seems.

Enjoy the show, and I hope to see you there 
biggrin.gif
, not likely though...

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 4
New album now streaming on myspace.  SQ is fantasic as always.  This album has it all, from psychedelic to musique concrete, taking in pop and electro along the way.  SQ is fantastic, as always.  C'mon folks, take a punt.  You will be rewarded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back