The year of the Cicada
Apr 12, 2004 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

bootman

King o'Ping
They're baaack!!!

inside-cicada.jpg

Anyone on the east cost remember '87?
In some places the noise was so loud it deafened you.

Quiz:
A cicada's life cycle (depending on species) can be 13, 17, or 23 years.
What do they all share in common?

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman

Quiz:
A cicada's life cycle (depending on species) can be 13, 17, or 23 years.

What do they share in common? other than the fact that they go through a loooooong life as a larva in the soil, they are the loudest of all insects in the world. (well, alot of people know this fact first hand.)

They also do not have any toxins (they are very edible) or any other defensive measures as adults, as they rely on sheer numbers and a very long larval stage so that no single predator can adapt itself to feeding on them. Pretty long wait between meals, there.

-Ed

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 24
I thought this thread had something to do with Moth Audio Cicada speakers... sucked me in.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by bootman

They're edible?

D.

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 24
I remember those suckers quite well. My dog had a field day playing around with them. I had a field day riding my back over them (crispety-crackety). It's almost a shame I'll be in Japan this summer and not back in the midwest... I've got some nice summer vacation and early autumnal memories involving the sound and atmosphere of those lovable cicadas.

Oh, and as for the species question... if it's THAT kind of question... 13, 17, and 23 are all prime numbers.

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

This year, it's time for Brood X, the so-called "Big Brood," to surface. Its range stretches from Georgia, west through Tennessee and to isolated pockets of Missouri, north along the Ohio Valley and into Michigan, and east into New Jersey and New York.

Does that mean it misses Virginia??

Apr 13, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 24
There are cicadads here every year in ohio. Some years more than others. Well my opinion to these damn bugs is that i HATE them. They're just so loud and once one buzzez another one buzzez back and it never ends!!!! and occasionally i've had these things fly at me around my ear and they buzz around. And when that happens i usually just start arms flaling and running. NOW THERE ARE GOING TO BE MORE OF THEM!!! WOW... I HATE THEM

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by TrevorNetwork
They look fairly appetizing.

/entomophagist
biggrin.gif

Good source of protein.
Anyone know some good recipes?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back