the woes of an HP iPod buyer
Mar 20, 2006 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

evh7

New Head-Fier
Sorry if somebody has posted advice about this already; I searched and couldn't find a thread. I'll be happy to go read anything if somebody will just point me to it.

I'm wondering if anybody purchased a 4G iPod from HP when they were partnered with Apple, if their experience went sour, and if they were able to find any relief.

I bought my 40 gig 4G iPod from HP in February '05. The hard drive in that one failed, and they sent me a new one in August '05. Then the clickwheel on that one failed, and they send me another new one in December '05. Now, in March of '06, 12 days after the 90-day warranty on the December placement ran out and about 30 days after the year warranty on the original one I bought has run out, the hard drive has failed again.

Neither HP or Apple want to take any responsibility for my displeasure. I might as well have taken the $400 and tossed it in the garbage for as much pleasure as I've managed to get out of my iPod. I'm sad I gave up my old Archos brick, which worked perfectly for five years, for what I thought was better technology. Lame.

Has anybody else had the same experience as me? Did you get any relief? I'd love to know. Thanks

- Ellen

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 10
Actually, my first iPod was the HP version of the b/w 40GB iPod. I have had it 15 months, and it's worked flawlessly.

I'd say send yours somehwere like ipodmechanic.com and get them to put a better HD in there.

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 10
Dang man, you have some bad luck streak going for ya
mad.gif

Hmmm...and kind of off topic, but I personally consider hp iPods to be unofficial iPods...like a person child of sorts (sorry if I offend anyone here). Why did you not go with a normal iPod at the time?

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 10
1) Both Apple and HP were saying they were exactly the same, so there shouldn't have been undue risk.

2) I own an HP PC and expected good support on another HP product.

3) 120 days same-as-cash financing from HP, vs. charge your Visa and pay-interest-but-get-free-engraving from Apple. (This actually was the selling point. If it wasn't for the good financing, I just would have bought a 40 gig iRiver DAP from J&R.)

One thing that's interesting is that you can buy an extended warranty for your Apple iPod, but they won't sell you one for your HP iPod -- I tried to purchase one after receiving iPod #3 in December, because I was worried about this very thing.

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 10
HP has called me this morning and is sending me another iPod, due to my bizarre failure rate. They also gave a direct line and the name of someone to call with future problems, which is great ... so I was right about the quality of the service.

I just have to wonder, though: Is the iPod really for me? I'm feeling pretty lame about my experience so far.

By the way, this time, I'm told, I'm experiencing processor failure rather than hard drive failure ...

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
So the real question is, would you get that kind of service if you bought the Apple version?
eek.gif

I just read an article on that which seems to indicate to me that, no, I sure wouldn't have:

http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/48699.html

Now, my choices seem to be:

My choices seem to be:

1) Be happy to have a new iPod, and keep my fingers crossed. After all, iPods are supposed to be great, right? Everybody loves them. Right? And if it fails again, there's a chance it will fail within the 90-day warranty period, right?

2) Sell my newly received refurbed 4G B&W 40 gig iPod with a 90-day warranty, 2 cases, car charger, iTrip, and Podwave speakers on Ebay or Craigslist. Make $175 back if I'm lucky. Buy a completely different player and keep my fingers crossed. Because iPods hate me.

3) See a therapist about ending my dependence on portable music, because I'm obviously just throwing good money after bad.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 10
I have read a lot of terrible stories about failure with iPod, and that is why I bought the extended warrantee, and weird thing. No matter how I treat it. It never failed on me. I even use it to burn in my Hornet continuesly for 2 weeks.

I think it is just a matter of luck.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 10
Gah, this is one reason I like PCDPs, I know how to fix them...and generally for pretty cheap
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back