The Who - Rock Opera Battle - Please Vote!
Aug 24, 2012 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

StratocasterMan

Headphoneus Supremus
Post up! Please vote in the poll above.

Vote for 'Tommy' or 'Quadrophenia'

Which is your favorite? And why?

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 14
Although Tommy contains the more iconic tunes, and a story more people can grasp, musically I find Quadrophenia to be better developed and more sonically interesting.  If faced with the choice, I'd listen to Quadrophenia instead of Tommy every time.  I also find the Mods vs. Rockers history fascinating.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 14
No love for Lifehouse? 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 14
Love Quadrophenia but Tommy stands on its own. I was introduced to it (and the Who) with the movie version, now I own the original, classical, live, and Broadway versions as well. Also saw the Broadway version when it came North, Tommy rocks!

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Love Quadrophenia but Tommy stands on its own. I was introduced to it (and the Who) with the movie version, now I own the original, classical, live, and Broadway versions as well. Also saw the Broadway version when it came North, Tommy rocks!

I'm glad you reminded me! I was in New York City around 1998 or 1999 on a business trip. I scored free tickets to my choice of Broadway show. I chose to see "Tommy" on Broadway. I went in with zero expectations. I thought that Broadway musicals weren't my thing and that it would be lame. I thought they wouldn't be able to do any kind of justice to The Who. I'd been listening to the music for so many years though, so I was curious to see what they would do to it. Boy, was I wrong! It was totally cool!!! I loved it! It rocked! It was like "Tommy" was always meant to be!

Having said all that, I'm going to have to vote for "Quadrophenia," because I still always choose that one when I'm in the mood for a Who rock opera. I can't really explain why, but ever since I saw the movie version, it just hits home.

"Where have I been? Out of my brain on the 5:15!" 
darthsmile.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 14
I like them both, but I had to go with Quadrophenia. It was (oddly enough) the first of the two I listened to, and it was during a pretty turbulent period of my life (first love and all; what a waste she was). It ain't easy being 14. That was years ago, thank god, but that album helped me get through everything that was going on. I think every teenager should listen to it. Its story is essentially about finding yourself and not getting swept up in what the crowds around you are doing, which will probably be perpetually relevant to the teenage demographic.

Musically, it's an all out masterpiece. Anybody who said at the time this album came out that rock music couldn't be intricate and musically accomplished needed to have their head examined. The layering and repetition of musical motifs, the gamut of emotions conveyed, the seamless narrative throughout, and some of the best playing chops our time (and times to come) will ever know combine to make this album one of the greatest ever made.

Tommy, for all its brilliance, lacks that cohesive quality, that singular vision that sets Quadrophenia apart. Not to mention that the performance of Tommy isn't as competent as that of Quadrophenia, and the production and arrangement on Tommy leave a lot to be desired. The group improved dramatically in the four years between those albums.

The album covers, though, are a different matter. Tommy's is one of the most iconic covers ever made. Quadrophenia's was indecipherable to me for years, and even now that I know what's going on it still just registers as a black and white photo in my mind.

By the way, I'm bringing up this mildly dated thread because I saw The Who just last Saturday on the Quadrophenia + More tour. Pete Townshend said they hadn't played the album in full since 1996, which was years before I would have heard it for the first time. It was a brilliant show. They're definitely not in their performing prime anymore, but man have they got energy. They had to do a bit of simplification to the arrangement to do it live, but it worked very well.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 14
I have a lot of respect for "Tommy" for it's concept and influence, but I don't really like much of the music.  Only 3-5 songs on "Tommy" really appeal to me.  In my opinion, "Quadrophenia" has consistently better songs, so I voted for it.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 14
Personally I have to say that Quadrophenia is my favorite. Of course I just saw them perform it live a few weeks back. They were awesome!  
k701smile.gif

biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Personally I have to say that Quadrophenia is my favorite. Of course I just saw them perform it live a few weeks back. They were awesome!  
k701smile.gif

biggrin.gif

They certainly were awesome. What would have been even more awesome is if they had done both Tommy and Quadrophenia on the same night. Of course it would have gone on for hours and they probably would have trouble physically making it through that much music in a single night, but what an epic performance that would be!

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

They certainly were awesome. What would have been even more awesome is if they had done both Tommy and Quadrophenia on the same night. Of course it would have gone on for hours and they probably would have trouble physically making it through that much music in a single night, but what an epic performance that would be!

I fully agree. Also, I don't think that Pete Townshend could handle all of the loud sound that long. 
beerchug.gif

I would also love to see Pink Floyd if they had a concert close to where I live. (Probably won't happen.) 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back