The Who - North American Tour 'Quadrophenia'
Jul 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

StratocasterMan

Headphoneus Supremus
Nov 28, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 4
I know I keep posting about this (guess I was pretty psyched), but I caught that show when they came here to Detroit. We had our tickets for months. We got them on July 30th, which makes it one of the coolest birthday gifts ever as it turns out.

It was brilliant. About the only thing that surprised me is that it was already the sixth song before somebody lit a doobie. I expected they'd be at it before the band even started (not that I'm complaining--being anywhere near that stuff gives me a roaring headache). All kidding aside, it was better than I expected considering Pete and Rogers' age and the absence of two of the original members. They put some really nice tributes to Moon and Entwistle up on the screen, and they used the studio track of Keith's vocal on "Bell Boy" because nobody will ever be able to do that voice the way he did.

Quadrophenia has been my favorite album by The Who for almost as long as I've been listening to them. My dad introduced it to me, and it was pretty cool being able to see the show with him, since it was his first time seeing them play it, too. My whole immediate family went, and now my mom wants me to put the album on her iPod. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I know I keep posting about this (guess I was pretty psyched), but I caught that show when they came here to Detroit. We had our tickets for months. We got them on July 30th, which makes it one of the coolest birthday gifts ever as it turns out.

It was brilliant. About the only thing that surprised me is that it was already the sixth song before somebody lit a doobie. I expected they'd be at it before the band even started (not that I'm complaining--being anywhere near that stuff gives me a roaring headache). All kidding aside, it was better than I expected considering Pete and Rogers' age and the absence of two of the original members. They put some really nice tributes to Moon and Entwistle up on the screen, and they used the studio track of Keith's vocal on "Bell Boy" because nobody will ever be able to do that voice the way he did.

Quadrophenia has been my favorite album by The Who for almost as long as I've been listening to them. My dad introduced it to me, and it was pretty cool being able to see the show with him, since it was his first time seeing them play it, too. My whole immediate family went, and now my mom wants me to put the album on her iPod. 

Same story here, well except that I saw them in Greensboro. They were absolutely awesome. If I ever had a chance to see them again I'd take it in the blink of an eye. I also must mention that Zak Starkey is a very good drummer, but their bass player had much less presence in the show. (Of course no one could ever replace Keith and John) 

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Same story here, well except that I saw them in Greensboro. They were absolutely awesome. If I ever had a chance to see them again I'd take it in the blink of an eye. I also must mention that Zak Starkey is a very good drummer, but their bass player had much less presence in the show. (Of course no one could ever replace Keith and John) 

This was my impression of Pino when I saw the Who soon after John passed. He's clearly a capable player that has no inclination at all to try to "replace" The Ox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back