The Who bassist John Entwistle reported dead
Jun 27, 2002 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Another one gone. The Who were just about to start a tour and I was gonna go see em. This is very very sad news...

markl

Jun 27, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Another one gone. The Who were just about to start a tour and I was gonna go see em. This is very very sad news...

markl

Where did you hear of this? I can't find it on any of the online news outlets.

As of 18:21 GMT Reuters only reported the following about the Who:

The Who Take a Bow for a New Generation

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - There's no end in sight to the British Invasion of the 1960s. Paul McCartney just completed a successful U.S. tour, and the Rolling Stones will begin their 15th jaunt across the continent in September. Meanwhile, the Who will kick off a 24-venue tour throughout North America Friday in Las Vegas, its three core members revitalized after wowing American crowds on its last visit two years ago.

Jun 27, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 38
Jun 27, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 38
I was planning to see them this tour as well.

I was first turned on to the Who in 1967 from a girl who had just moved to Canada from England.

Makes me feel very old.

Jun 28, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 38
As some of you saw in my earlier post today, I actually had tickets to see The Who. The last time I saw them was the final date of the Who's farewell concert in Dallas, Texas in 1989. It was there where I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn in one of his last performances. For me, this is the most tragic thing to happen in rock music since Stevie Ray Vaughn left us.

The Who are legendary. John Entwistle was one of the best and most influencial bassist in rock music. This is the second of such incredible musicians that The Who has lost. I was not old enough to appreciate Moon's loss at the time as I am now as I'm not old enough to have ever lived in a time when there wasn't a Who.

I'm planning to sulk for the rest of the night and listen to a lock of rock. If any of you guys live in Dallas, 93.3 is doing nothing but The Who right now. If you live in another city, your local rock station should be doing so as well--if they're not, they're not a rock station.

Jun 28, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I actually had tickets to see The Who.

Me too. Now what??? Did they cancel the tour? I kind of hope so!

Jun 28, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 38
I expect the tour to be cancelled but hope it isn't. Dallas is (again) the final stop on the tour, so there's always the chance they'll cancel some stops and not others and ours might survive. The problem is not only have the The Who played with Entwistle for so long and not only does he know all the songs, but he was actually one of the best players and would be hard to replace. My vote goes to Geezer Butler as a "Substitute", though.

Jun 28, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I expect the tour to be cancelled but hope it isn't. Dallas is (again) the final stop on the tour, so there's always the chance they'll cancel some stops and not others and ours might survive. The problem is not only have the The Who played with Entwistle for so long and not only does he know all the songs, but he was actually one of the best players and would be hard to replace. My vote goes to Geezer Butler as a "Substitute", though.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Roger and Pete are likely going to be in mourning for a while. Asking them to complete the tour just doesn't seem fair.

Jun 28, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
I wouldn't hold your breath. Roger and Pete are likely going to be in mourning for a while. Asking them to complete the tour just doesn't seem fair.

I would not dream of complaining. Different people deal in different ways though and if they come to town, I imagine I'll still enjoy an excellent Who show.

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 38
John was 57 years old. Of course that's probably 102 in Who years...

Jun 28, 2002 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 38
Sad ain't it? *Sigh*

Had tickets here too...was going to be Monday...
frown.gif
And as far as I know that concert has been canceled...Would have been my first time seeing them also...

Jun 28, 2002 at 9:25 AM Post #13 of 38
This is sad News indeed. A few of my frends are Die Hard Who fans and have been trying to get me to a Who Concert for decades. I went to the last concert thay played hear in Portland OR. and i must say these guy's rock Live. Loud and to my Suprise Clean. I felt Buzed all the way back to my Home in Eugene. I like the Who alot but like Greatfull dead Followers I never could and still can't understand the Cult Following of these or any other Performer. But i sure liked Listening to the Whos recorded Works alot with Live at Leeds being my favorite. The remastered CD that includes the entire concert is Awsom.

Jun 28, 2002 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 38
Jun 29, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Back