The White Stripes at Roseland Ballroom, NYC - 11/19/2003
Nov 19, 2003 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
Roseland Ballroom is starting to bug me. Every show I go to there starts at 6:45pm, and I'm pretty sure that this is so that they can cash in from the bar. I'm not against a music venue making money from drinks, but I am against the stupid group of individuals that I always end up standing behind who are trashed and hitting on everything with a vagina in the near proximity. However, Roseland and me have a history (I saw Radiohead for the first time there), so we were able to work things out and besides this slight inconvenience with a minority of the crowd, I had a terribly fun evening.

The opening acts were fairly mediocre. The first band sounded as if the only music they'd ever listened to was Sonic Youth. Now this doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, but when the end result is as poorly structured and pointless as this group, it was a very bad thing. The second band, The Hentchmen, was full of energy and at least amusing. They were a very upbeat pop/punkish group with just a guitarist, keyboardist, and drummer. Probably just me, but I felt a bass would've driven the point home a bit more. Either way, I was quite happy when both bands finished their luckily short sets and waited for Jack and Meg White to grace the stage.

The roadies (all dressed in zoot suits, complete with a top hat) setup the candy-apple-red drumset at the very front, stage right, facing stage left, which is where the guitar amps were setup. There were two main microphones on stage: one front and slightly off center, the second next to Meg's drumset facing her, and Jack seemed to sing half of every song into each. There was also one other stage left that was next to the other instruments which got used for the few songs that were piano-based. Quite honestly, I was expecting them to perform with a full band, but this turned out to not be the truth. The White Stripes live are simply Meg on drums and Jack on guitar, with a couple keyboard and Wurlitzer lines inbetween.

When talking to people about The White Stripes, a lot of people seem to tell me that they think Jack's guitar and vocal work is great, but they can't stand Meg's horrible drumming. I have always sort of disagreed with this opinion, feeling that without Meg's slow and simple drum style, the band would be completely different and wouldn't be half as awesome. After seeing them live, I really find Meg to be the driving force behind each song. Her drumset's tone sounds much lower to me than normal, so low in fact that I didn't find the lack of a bass player distracting at all. Her lazy slapping style was really awesome to watch. The stick would drop on the tom with force and yet stay there, as oppose to the vast majority of drummers I've seen whose wrists snap the stick up immediately after each hit. Imagine a thick layer of honey sitting atop each piece of her set. The look on her face while playing wasn't that of a standard drummer either; she'd close her eyes and tilt her head back with a look of pure musical intoxication. She played the drums like a girl would play drums, as oppose to the way most drummers do: all energetic and slashy-like. Overall, I really think she was the driving force behind each song; the thing that kept each song in check and at correct pace, while Jack wailed away on guitar.

Jack White is a great guitarist. After seeing him live, I have a fully new respect for him, his playing style, and his music. He's a great guitarist in that jimi-hendrix-can-barely-stand-as-the-music-flows-out-of-me-uncontrollably kind of way, not in the progressive rock virtuoso solo kind of way. His style is dirty, gritty, and sloppy. If one walked into this concert expecting an exact copy of their studio material, I don't think they'd really enjoy it. Every song had layers of extra little notes and muted strums inbetween the lines of the song. Each verse had a slight variation from the next, either in octave or hammering style or whatever. Basically what I'm trying to say here is, he keeps you interested. The majority of the songs felt like a constant solo, but weren't boring and always lead back to the root chords of the verse or chorus. He played like he was having tons of fun, in an unhinged bluesy style. For close to half of the songs, he wore a slide on his pinky and constantly switched between normal chords and sliding back and forth across the frets with the fervor of a true professional music lover. I've always felt that The White Stripes had some heavy blues influences, and my feelings certainly felt proven after that night.

The set was a really big mix of their work. I was truly expecting the bulk of their list to be from White Blood Cells and Elephant, but much to my suprise, they took an even amount from each album. I tried to write down the full setlist, but sadly I was unable to name any of the songs from De Stilj or their Self-titled albums as I simply haven't spent as much time listening to those two releases (I'm savoring them, damnit). They did play most of my favorites though, including Meg White on lead vocals during In The Cold, Cold, Night. They ended the first part of their set with a balls-out jamming solo session of Ball and Biscuit, and then came back a few minutes later for a short encore involving what I lovingly call their "trendy songs." Fell In Love With a Girl was played at around half speed, which really worked out well for the song, and Seven Nation Army's bass line was played with Jack's guitar, as oppose to a bass which it is normally played with.

There wasn't much communication with the audience during this show, just layers and layers of rock n' roll. Towards the beginning of the show, Jack addressed the audience with something like "Hello New York! Hi, I'm Jack and this is my sister Meg and we're going to play some songs for you." I guess they like propagating that rumor about them being brother and sister, even though it's a fairly well-known fact that they were married and are now legally divorced. On the whole, I wouldn't really call it a charismatic performance, but they certainly have a lot of heart and know how to rock a crowd. My head was banging around so much for the show that I thought my ER-20 earplugs were going to pop out half of the time. In the end, I had a great night and really enjoyed the concert. I suggest that anybody who is a fan of their raw and gritty nature (i.e. own more than Elephant) should definitely try and check them out if they come to a venue near you.

Nov 19, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 7
Sounds like you had yourself a spectacular time. Thanks for the great write up as always!

I need to move to NY. Or at least a city that attracts good bands
rolleyes.gif

Nov 20, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 7
I recently gave in to The White Stripes mania thanks to a live performance of theirs. I always liked their singles, but waited until I could soberly say " I want to buy their stuff". It was their appearance on MTVE Awards that did it for me; Jack used his acoustic with pickup for bass/guitar in Seven Nation Army there too.

I like Meg's drumming. I think that her skill isn't an issue. If she was a virtuoso, then that wouldn't jive with their DIY style. Last week on Much Music, she poked fun at her sense of rhythm, but on music like this I don't want a metronome, so the novice look suits her. Besides, there's a lot of weight to her toms, and bass drums, so a barrage of drums would diminish the vibe. Elephant has more bass than most of my cds (even techno drum & bass). It sounds great, and puts the hi-tech* studios to shame. I also like the way she has fun on the kit. It looks genuine, and carefree. It doesn't distract from the music the way the "Hey look at me here's where I start pounding a la Lars Ulrich" pose would.

Jack commented on Much about using the extra mike near the drums. He was saying something like - in such a small band like theirs, it would be simple, and worthwhile to communicate any changes in the song to the other in real time. Having the mike near Meg lets him do this he says. He also commented on playing with an injured hand. He showed how he has limited finger movement, and told of having to learn to play with 3 fingers. I don't know about you grinch, but I thought he looked at ease playing that way. If anything the injury would add a little mystique to the band, huh? Thanks for sharing the details. Glad it was good.

*I don't like the term hi-fi when it comes to studio technique. Why can't an album that costs 5000 pounds to record be hi-fi?

Nov 20, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
I need to move to NY. Or at least a city that attracts good bands
rolleyes.gif

If you think the headphone hobby is expensive, try living in NYC! You wouldn't be able to afford concerts
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the info, Grinch. I didn't like the White Stripes until Elephant came out -- it's now one of my favorite rock albums.

--Chris

Nov 20, 2003 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by zoboomofo
I don't know about you grinch, but I thought he looked at ease playing that way. If anything the injury would add a little mystique to the band, huh? Thanks for sharing the details. Glad it was good.

he really seemed to be playing well when i saw them, but this was my first time seeing them live. as i mentioned, he used his pinky as a slide for close to half the songs, so his hand must've recovered pretty much by now.

thanks for the positive comments everybody, i thoroughly appreciate it.

Nov 20, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 7
I think that this album is my cure for autumn depression
tongue.gif
There's usually lots of Sarah McLachlan type stuff on the charts this time of year. I don't have anything against it... sometimes, but I still want some summertime party music. I want it all year long! If it wasn't for albums like Elephant, I might have to get by during winter by joining the local Jimmy Buffett* club or something. So yeah, post away grinch.

Edit: that's Buffett, not Buffet. Mmm, must be hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back