The Weebl has Arrived
Feb 20, 2004 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

smokey

500+ Head-Fier
It has been a long time since I first contacted Denis (ZZZ) about building a Weebl/Blue Hawaii amplifier. I now have the finished product installed and running. Its only been running three songs, so far, but this may be it. What I've been searching for 'lo these many years.

Once I have let it run in for a while I'll post back on more initial listening impressions.

If you search you'll see a picture in the archives. It runs with four EL-34 power tubes, four 6C33 rectifier tubes, two transformers, and Black Gate caps as far as the eye can see. I think it runs in balanced mode, as it has two DACT stepped attenuators, one for each channel. It has two outputs so that two people can listen at once. It also has one balanced, and one unbalanced input.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I'll keep you posted as it breaks in. (One problem is that this is the first time I've used the Omega headphones, so those'll need time to charge and break in as well.)

Who says money can't buy happiness!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2004 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 28
Ive been checking every 10 minutes hoping to see this thread.

I cant wait to read your impressions.

Feb 20, 2004 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 28
Also, im very interested in hearing your thoughts of this setup compared to your blockhead setup.

Feb 20, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by EyEPoD
Also, im very interested in hearing your thoughts of this setup compared to your blockhead setup.

And to R10 also... I know, I know - it's an eternal question...

Feb 20, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 28
So far the things I notice are the individuality of each note from each instrument being displayed in a very easy natural manner. I think the headstage out of this setup is better than it is in the Blockhead, but at the same time more realistic than that put out by the R-10. However, I'll reserve judgement on the R-10 and LTH-3000 until I get a better dynamic amp. (Which should be here in the next month or so.)

I can also identify instruments better than other setups that I've heard. For instance, on a Sheffield Labs CD that I'm listening to there is a point in one song where I've always thought the sound was made by sticks hitting the rim of a drum. Through the Weebl the sound is clearly being made by someone using their mouth and hand as a percusive instrument.

Remember that I'm making these comparisons to other very expensive and well regarded sysytems, so your experience might vary were you to hear them yourselves.

Feb 20, 2004 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 28
Congrats on the Weebl arrival smokey. Man, I'm sure it has been torture waiting all those months, but it sounds to me like it paid off. I eagerly await your initial thoughts on the amp once you've had some time to get those BlackGates broken in and a week or so of time with the amp. Man, now I really can't wait to hear one of these Weebls as quickly as I can.

Here's a quick link to smokey's Ferrari red amp:

http://slrshooter.hypermart.net/Dougstuff.htm

Feb 20, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 28
Congrats Smokey, sound like a truly outstanding system!

Since you now possess many of the most famous phones and headamps in existence please keep those of us struggling to find our way on a well lit path.

I am looking forward to following this thread - many thanks.

Feb 20, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 28
What a beauty.

Congrats man.

Your description of the weebl's effortless and natural clarity reminds me of what I get out of my T2 as well. Perhaps this topology (4 input tubes followed by 4 EL34 output tubes) shared by both the Blue Hawaii and T2 results in a 'family' sound.

It is a sound that makes me think of the metaphor of an Italian Renaissance marble sculptor at work.

Michaelangelo reputedly sculpts by imagining that the human figure is "trapped" in the stone, and his job comprised merely of removing the extraneous material to "free" the human form trapped inside. It is a process of subtraction of unwanted material to arrive at the "essence" trapped inside.

Likewise, an effortless amp also removes unwanted noise and distortions that clog and clutter the empty spaces between notes, and thereby freeing the musical shapes and forms. Once these shapes and forms are released from bondage, they appear as if they had always existed from time immemorial.

It is a sound I am familiar with.

Feb 20, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 28
blue hawaii has a solid state input. Only the 4 output's
are tubes. The quality of the sound is due to the grounded
grid drive circuit. And the ultra low distortion that results
from that.

Feb 20, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #13 of 28

To be sure, it is not only a low-noise amp that is important here: the headphone plays a great part too.

What I love about the Omega II is the dark, dark background out from which images appear. This black background presentation style of the headphone complements an ultra low-noise amp. The result of such a partnership is an effortless, unforced kind of clarity, for which my metaphor of a sculpture manifesting itself by removal of extraneous material becomes valid.

Image focus becomes clearer, and atmospheric cues between instruments heightens.

Edit: thanks for the clarification, Kevin.

Feb 21, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 28
damn, congratulations. i am eagerly awaiting my own, with a very similar build.
smily_headphones1.gif

it's always awesome to read serious comments about the omega 2. it sounds like dr. gilmore designed another awesome circuit and i'm excited to get my hands on one soon. my system will be identical to your's smokey, as we both have a cary 306/200.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back