The Wallet is Out
Jul 29, 2004 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

iriverdrownsipod

New Head-Fier
First of all, thanks to all of you who have helped me in my quest to better understand and enjoy the intersection of the music and technology.

Ok, since I need a multitude of answers quickly I'll keep this short and sweet.
I am ready to plunk down my hard-earned cash for one of these three modesl:
1) Etymotic ER-6 OR 2) Shure E2 OR 3) Shure E3.

Before you slap your forehead and shoot Captain Obvious, please bear in mind my requirements:

1) Study- I do not want sound leakage from my H120 to disturb others in the grad school library. I also do not want too many (if any) outside or environmental sounds to disturb me while I am participating in said studying.

2) Sound Quality/Fidelity- I would like to venture into a new area of music enjoyment. That is, I have four OEM or very cheap pairs of earbuds and headphones that I have noticed do not yield acceptable reproduction of music. I am a serious classical listener (having been trained and performed for nearly 13 years) and would like Beethoven's piano concerti to sound at least somewhat like I know they ought to. I also listen to a hodgepodge of other genres like jazz, electronica remixes, and vocal.

3) Budget- If need be, I am willing to spend up to $200.

4) Portability- Canalphones would be ideal, since I plan to commute quite a bit between my apartment and the grad school library.

That's it! I've narrowed the choices down to these simply because I have heard the most about these and the isolation appeals to me. If you have any other model suggestions please feel free to let me know though
wink.gif

Any input is appreciated. My decision must be made before August 3. No pressure!
icon10.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 20
hm i dont think you really need the e3's since they are far higher priced compared to the e2's and the er6's.

I have the e2c's and enjoy them very much... if you like jazz and classical the e2c's will work nicely since the lack in bass and are strong in highs. On the other hand er6's are very nice in sound quality and would probably beat the e2c's

All comes down to price..... e2's will be cheapest and bring you adequet sound for someone like you... I doubt you would be disatisfied with the e2c's.

Have fun.

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 20
i know you can only go to 200 before your wallet slaps you across your face, but do consider the er4ps

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 20
enzoferrari650- That's one vote for the nicely priced e2c's. Though how are microphonics? I really really hate having cord noise when shifting in my seat.

Criteria #5 - Please tell me about microphonics with your recommendation. The less cord noise the better; I guess I can handle inner body noises.

RoastBeef- Yeah I know, if I could justify the ER4P/S purchase... $240 looks a lot like $300 to me. Plus at that threshold I would have to decide to forego replacing my aging Clie T615c.

Decisions, decisions.

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

RoastBeef- Yeah I know, if I could justify the ER4P/S purchase... $240 looks a lot like $300 to me. Plus at that threshold I would have to decide to forego replacing my aging Clie T615c.

$188 from idealsound

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 20
Great. I love options
smily_headphones1.gif

That ER4-P/S converter kit seems more palatable now that it's much less than list. Does anyone know how idealsound is when it comes to warranty issues? I know they say they have the one year, but I am referring to actual customer service issues anyone has had or positive experiences. I am just wondering how they can offer such a low price on something as expensive as the ER4.

There goes my budget,
wink.gif

Thanks, LakerDodger

As for price/performance and comfort etc., I am wondering if the Shure e3's wouldn't do everything I needed them to, or for that matter the E2.

Jul 29, 2004 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdrownsipod
I am a serious classical listener (having been trained and performed for nearly 13 years) and would like Beethoven's piano concerti to sound at least somewhat like I know they ought to. I also listen to a hodgepodge of other genres like jazz, electronica remixes, and vocal.

after reading the first 6 words of this extract, i hate to say it, but it's clear to me that only the etymotics er4s will do.
etysmile.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 20
Note that the 188 price is for either er-4p OR the er-4s. The kit with converter cable is around 220. For less than 200 dollars, I'd go with the er-4p, although I must say microphonics can occasionally be annoying. If you don't move too much, you'll hardly notice it.

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 20
and if you are studying, it's almost like a mini-home setup at your desk - so look into an inexpensive portable amp like the cmoy or go vibe to plug into the er4p with the s conversion adapter in it. you can probably even swing a cmoy here on head-fi from 30-50 bucks, it's worth it.

Jul 29, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 20
One more vote for idealsound. I bought from them on ebay with no trouble at all.

As others have said, for classical you'll probably be happier with the ER4S, but you'll need a separate amp if you go that way. If you can't afford the amp, go with the ER4P or go $20 over your limit and get the ER4P with the ER4S conversion cable (best of both worlds).

Jul 29, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 20
Seriously...if the budget allows go for the er4p's!
icon10.gif
iDealsound is a great company/store, or whatever they are though, my friend just ordered er-6's from them and they shipped in 3 days with the free shipping! The only problem i have with the er4p's is that i think your paying partially for all the extra accessories, like all the extra tips and that weird little briefcase thing...
confused.gif
But w/e...like i said, if you feel like giving up the money it's always better to get the extra product, specially when you could own some er4's! =)

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 20
yes, and girls are attracted to boys with er4s than the er6s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back