The voodoo-less cable thread. Reasonable cable vendors and reviews.
Jul 10, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #181 of 278
While it's rare, it's possible for speaker cables to pick-up RFI interference.  So twisting is free and reduces the possibility.
Jim Brown often writes on twisting any and all unshielded multi-conductor cables.

So I've read. But I've never heard it-other than hearing a powerful CB radio on my heater element

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #182 of 278
True, way back than interference was a human voice or radio station.  But now if interference happens it's more insidious. Now it's from SMPS's, appliances, lighting systems, data and entertainment units.  So you won't be able to identify it. It will just be hiding in the background.
It's the kind of problem that makes audiophiles say this cable sounds different than that cable.  They never recognize that one cable is picking up more interference than the other (and they may like the one with more interference)

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #183 of 278
I really hate bad history, distortions of long accepted understandings
You are lucky to have no demons nearby. The twisted pair design makes them dizzy as they travel the cables-and they quickly leave 

this is so wrong...

demons were held responsible for the increased accuracy of rifled guns Because demons are Attracted to the spinning bullet

the experimental evidence is centuries old:

In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

The Archbishop of Mainz has two members of a shooting club compete at 200 paces, one using lead balls and the other balls of silver blessed by the Church and etched with cross. The silver balls all miss the target while the lead balls scored hits on 19 out of 20 shots. This disproves the theory put forth by the Bavarian of 1522 and causes the Church to declare that rifled/spinning lead bullets can indeed be controlled by demons.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #184 of 278
I really hate bad history, distortions of long accepted understandings

this is so wrong...

demons were held responsible for the increased accuracy of rifles guns Because demons are Attracted to the spinning bullet

the experimental evidence is centuries old:

In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

The Archbishop of Mainz has two members of a shooting club compete at 200 paces, one using lead balls and the other balls of silver blessed by the Church and etched with cross. The silver balls all miss the target while the lead balls scored hits on 19 out of 20 shots. This disproves the theory put forth by the Bavarian of 1522 and causes the Church to declare that rifled/spinning lead bullets can indeed be controlled by demons.

Oh man- my cables may be possessed after all? I misinterpreted the 1547 test. Do you think it would help to have a small tube carrying Holy water spiral in the reverse spin around the cables? I've already got the ferrofluid circulating so should I go with a 50:50 mix?
I hope I don't need to hire an audiophile exorcist

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #185 of 278
Oh man- my cables may be possessed after all? I misinterpreted the 1547 test. Do you think it would help to have a small tube carrying Holy water spiral in the reverse spin around the cables? I've already got the ferrofluid circulating so should I go with a 50:50 mix?
I hope I don't need to hire an audiophile exorcist

In order to truly counteract the effects of demons on your pristine audio signal the iron in the ferrofluid need to come from the very nails that out Lord and Saviour was crucified with.

Fortunately, my recent partnership with the Vatican has allowed me to bring such cables to market.  PM me now to secure your preorder.  Deposits are only $200 and will secure the introductory price of $1000/metre, only good for the first 100 orders.

By Q3 next year I'll have cable risers CNC milled from pieces of the True Cross.  The first 200 orders will be buy one, get on free so stay tuned for my announcement!

In case you can't tell, Yes this is a joke.

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #186 of 278

In order to truly counteract the effects of demons on your pristine audio signal the iron in the ferrofluid need to come from the very nails that out Lord and Saviour was crucified with.

Fortunately, my recent partnership with the Vatican has allowed me to bring such cables to market.  PM me now to secure your preorder.  Deposits are only $200 and will secure the introductory price of $1000/metre, only good for the first 100 orders.

By Q3 next year I'll have cable risers CNC milled from pieces of the True Cross.  The first 200 orders will be buy one, get on free so stay tuned for my announcement!

In case you can't tell, Yes this is a joke.

Maverickronin,
WOW! That is astounding. Where can I sign up? You have the BEST solutions to 3rd Order Demonic Distortion for cables that I have EVER seen. 

Question: Can I continue to use my Brilliant Pebbles? 

1 Volt Josephson Junction Chip- by the National Bureau of Standards

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #187 of 278
  WOW! That is astounding. Where can I sign up? You have the BEST solutions to 3rd Order Demonic Distortion for cables that I have EVER seen. 

3rd Order Demonic Distortion. 
eek.gif

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #190 of 278
Jul 11, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #191 of 278
Back on topic. I'm told brand A XLR cables will impart weak bass and thin midrange to my Ragnarok as compared to brand B.
I'm tempted to point out the absence of any blind testing showing such a phenomena.
Any POSSIBLE effects with balanced cables? I tend to think not
Actually my RCA cables are by Blue Jeans.

My XLR cables are by http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Patch-Cable-Cords/dp/B000RY68PA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
Most people are using them for instruments, mics, etc.

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #192 of 278
Back on topic. I'm told brand A XLR cables will impart weak bass and thin midrange to my Ragnarok as compared to brand B.
I'm tempted to point out the absence of any blind testing showing such a phenomena.
Any POSSIBLE effects with balanced cables? I tend to think not
Actually my RCA cables are by Blue Jeans.

My XLR cables are by http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Patch-Cable-Cords/dp/B000RY68PA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
Most people are using them for instruments, mics, etc.

Any cable can have defects in construction or application that have audible consequences. Component interconnections based on unbalanced cables can have negative audible consequences such as interference pickup and ground loops. Balanced interconnections can solve some of these problems but they are not panaceas.

In every case a complete analysis considers the cable as one component of a small 3 component system, the other two components being the line driver and the line receiver.

The best solution is to keep the audio signal in the digital domain until it is as close to the listener's ear as possible. Unlike the analog domain, the digital domain is relatively immune to unintentional signal corruption.

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #193 of 278

Any cable can have defects in construction or application that have audible consequences. Component interconnections based on unbalanced cables can have negative audible consequences such as interference pickup and ground loops. Balanced interconnections can solve some of these problems but they are not panaceas.

In every case a complete analysis considers the cable as one component of a small 3 component system, the other two components being the line driver and the line receiver.

The best solution is to keep the audio signal in the digital domain until it is as close to the listener's ear as possible. Unlike the analog domain, the digital domain is relatively immune to unintentional signal corruption.

True-but I can't imagine my 3 foot long copper XLR balanced cables have any properties leading to major FR response defects. 
"Blue Jeans XLR is AES cable, big time rolling off the bass, and thinness at the mids (this is what woke me up).

BTW: DIY Neotech NEI-3002 XLR is truly a miracle cable."

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #194 of 278
  True-but I can't imagine my 3 foot long copper XLR balanced cables have any properties leading to major FR response defects. 
"Blue Jeans XLR is AES cable, big time rolling off the bass, and thinness at the mids (this is what woke me up).

One can measure this sort of thing, and as used driven by a low impedance source (headphone amplifier) and driving a modest impedance load (heapdhones) finding frequency response issues due to the cable will be difficult unless its inductance or series resistance is relatively high.

You didn't mention what wire the XLR cable was made from - there are options.

However one option appears to be
Belden 1800F cable.​
   http://www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/1800F.pdf

Its resistance and capacitance is nominal, and most significantly its conductor's resistance is stated to be 77 ohms per kilometer.  A 1 meter cable can be expected to have a resistance of 0.154 ohm which is trivial in this context. It is highly improbable that 1 meter of this cable has audible losses when used to drive headphones.
  •  

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #195 of 278

One can measure this sort of thing, and as used driven by a low impedance source (headphone amplifier) and driving a modest impedance load (heapdhones) finding frequency response issues due to the cable will be difficult unless its inductance or series resistance is relatively high.

You didn't mention what wire the XLR cable was made from - there are options.

However one option appears to be
Belden 1800F cable.​
   http://www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/1800F.pdf

Its resistance and capacitance is nominal, and most significantly its conductor's resistance is stated to be 77 ohms per kilometer.  A 1 meter cable can be expected to have a resistance of 0.154 ohm which is trivial in this context. It is highly improbable that 1 meter of this cable has audible losses when used to drive headphones.
  •  

That concern strikes me as interesting.  Care to elaborate on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back