The Virtual Hair Cut Recrding -- How do you do it?
Nov 16, 2008 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mrjeffrivera

New Head-Fier
I'd love to duplicate the virtual hair cut techniques (binaural, holophonic, ceteral whatever you want to call it) on another project. A radio drama type of project. But how do I do it??

Should I get a couple of condensor mics or should I use a Wave Panaroma software? Both? Has anyone else done this successfully? And more importantly how can I do this cheaply?

I've read a number of postings on this subject all over the internet but I don't seem to get a very clear picture about it or how I can do it.

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 13
Plenty of info online, search for "binaural recording." The main constraint is finding a pair of good quality stereo microphones that are small enough to fit in your ears. If you don't want to use your own ears, you can use a generic dummy instead.

The essentail bits of binaural recording are very simple. Get small mics. Put mics in ears. Record. Don't overprocess it. You don't need anything fancy, really.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 13
Will it sound just as good as the Virtual Hair Cut? Do I just plug the two microphones into an adapter and then into the recorder?

What about making sure it sounds like something or someone is walking and talking from the front or from behind, does it work well with that?

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 13
How about a Neumann Binaural Head?
smile.gif

Recreation of the human head, with microphones placed in the ear channel. To make a realistic recording.

binauralmic.jpg

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjeffrivera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's very good, does that work just as well or better than getting two condensor mics?

Since it mimic a human head, with outer ear and all, I am certain it will record a more realistic sound than "just" two condenser microphones.

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 13
Everybody's head and ear shape is different, so everybody has a different HRTF (head-related transfer function). If you want to get the best binaural results for your ears, you should record using your ears. The dummy heads are generic, like a cross-trainer shoe. Decent for most, great at nothing. I imagine the dummy heads are better for generating good binaural recordings for a wide range of people, unless you happen to have a very average head/ears.

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everybody's head and ear shape is different, so everybody has a different HRTF (head-related transfer function). If you want to get the best binaural results for your ears, you should record using your ears. The dummy heads are generic, like a cross-trainer shoe. Decent for most, great at nothing. I imagine the dummy heads are better for generating good binaural recordings for a wide range of people, unless you happen to have a very average head/ears.

Yeah, but how do you propose to plant the microphones deep enough in your own ears to make it real? Else the job is better accomplished by a dummy head.

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but how do you propose to plant the microphones deep enough in your own ears to make it real? Else the job is better accomplished by a dummy head.

Who says the microphones have to be planted deeply?

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Everybody's head and ear shape is different, so everybody has a different HRTF (head-related transfer function). If you want to get the best binaural results for your ears, you should record using your ears. The dummy heads are generic, like a cross-trainer shoe.

Quote:

Who says the microphones have to be planted deeply?

Well, if you care about the head shape ("the dummy head are generic") then you certainly want to place the microphone as close to the eardrums position as possible. I am sure that has at least the same impact on the ending sound as the shape of the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back