The Vinyl Within, new vinyl setup to be reviewed soon
Mar 7, 2002 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ai0tron

Banned
Alright, yes, once again I am jumping the gun, pardon me but I am sooo enthusiastic about this particular upgrade I must talk about it to keep the excitement from overwhelming me.

First of all I have decided, and hold your breathe people, to get the mmf-7!! Yes, the music hall mmf-7. It just doesn't pay to mess around with the step up components IMO. So yeah, I was surprised too, it just kind of happened. I just sent off for it, (got it new on Ebay) so it'll be a week to 2 weeks before I have it. And good lord, it's beautiful, I mean, no wonder vinyl is so habit forming, everything about it is just elegant to the extreme!

My phono stage was just mailed though. It's an antique sound pp-1. It's all about the tube goodness. It has some nifty features and supposedly can be used with mm or medium to high output mc cartridges. Since the music hall is MM this shouldn't be a problem. Also, the pp-1 is available as a DIY kit, the one I purchased was assembled at the "factory", but is still very easily upgraded by the user. And of course the tubes can be swapped but since it takes 3 of them, well, just forget that for now.

So far that's all I have going on.

Any other bits of advice will be appreciated, this is my first step into the world of vinyl so I'm looking for advice.

Also I think tuberoller mentioned record cleaners. Anyone know of a technique, machine, device, that cleans records for CHEAP??

Ok, yeah I sold my bryston amp and my Wacom tablet to get this stuff. Speakers don't compare to headphones until they cost more than women, and I rarely use them anyways, so by by bryston.

And oh yeah, I'm definately going to be taking photos of this setup!!! Gotta go to wally world and get one of those 1 use cameras.

Mar 7, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 10
Wow... congrats! Welcome to The Ultimate Source.

I'd buy a turntable, but I have no more records!
frown.gif

Since you sold your SS gear and picked up a killer TT, I predict horn speakers and a pair of SET monoblock amps in your future!

Mar 7, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Wow... congrats! Welcome to The Ultimate Source.

I'd buy a turntable, but I have no more records!
frown.gif

Since you sold your SS gear and picked up a killer TT, I predict horn speakers and a pair of SET monoblock amps in your future!

tubes and horns,I just fainted.I just got my set of Avante Garde DUOs and I have two Glass Company SET monoblocs coming.I can't wait.Pics forthcoming.

Nick, I know you have the Oris horns.I actually bought a kit someone never got around to and sold.I never got around to it and sold it as well.When my wife and I heard the DOUs at Las vegas we were both blown away.

aiOtron,I would highly recommend the Record Doctor II.it is a very basic but very effective unit.you must have a cleaner to fully enjoy your records.I use the VPI HW-17F.Don't worry I didn't pay that much for it.It doesn't really clean records that much better,it's just easier to use and is fan cooled for heavy duty use.I speak for vinyl lovers everywhere when I say welcome.Have fun.

Mar 7, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 10
ai0 - if you are a serious artist, you showed your true colors (love for audio) by telling us you gave up a tablet to pay for turntable. Welcome brother.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tubed phono stage? Antique Sound Lab? Cool! Was it affordable?

Mar 7, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions about the record cleaner tuberoller.

Yeah, the tablet doesn't really suit my arena of expertise as a 3D modeller and animator. I haven't used it much in the past few months because I've been taking the really tough 3D classes lately. And I don't fool around much with texturing because animation is the real art of 3D IMO. When I did use it though, I loved the thing. But, as satisfying as making art is, I haven't really had that much fun with it lately. Why? Art is becoming work, and it's going to be work for a long time. I'm proud of what I do, but not in love with it. The one thing I find soothes me most is audio. Eversince I went full out into classical music audio has been a major focus simply because of it's restorative powers. I sleep better after listening to mozart, chopin, and bach every evening.

Anyhow, this means lots of Rice and Ramen noodles for me.

It's all about the analog bliss baby!!

Man, they had those avantgarde Duos sitting at one of the HI-FI shops I went to in Hawaii. The guy was a dick though and wouldn't set them up. Instead he showed us some totem acoustics that were kind of lame.

Hey tuberoller, How often do you think records should be cleaned?

Mar 7, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 10
How about these?

blueduoroom12_sm.jpg

greentrioroom14_sm.jpg

aslo before anyone gets too excited, here's the price list :

UNO Series Two – 100dB+ @ 1W/1M/8 ohms – Minimum Power Required 5 watts

UNO (1.5) – Standard UNO ABS White Horns/217 PRO Subwoofers
USD $9,970

UNO (2.0) – ABS White with Nextel 225 CTRL Subwoofers
USD $10,970

UNO (2.1) – Custom Automotive Metallic Lacquer Finish (Blue, Red, Green, Silver, Charcoal, Pearlescent White) with Nextel 225 CTRL Subwoofers
USD $11,970

UNO (2.2) – Custom Automotive Metallic Lacquer Finish, with Matching Lacquer Finish 225 CTRL Subwoofers
USD $12,970

DUO Series Two – 103dB+ @ 1W/1M/8 ohms – Minimum Power Required 2.5 watts

DUO (2.0) – ABS White with Nextel 225 CTRL Subwoofers
USD $14,970

DUO (2.1) – Custom Automotive Metallic Lacquer Finish (Blue, Red, Green, Silver, Charcoal, Pearlescent White) with Nextel 225 CTRL Subwoofers
USD $15,970

DUO (2.2) – Custom Automotive Metallic Lacquer Finish, with Matching Lacquer Finish 225 CTRL Subwoofers
USD $16,970

TRIO Series Two – 107dB @ 1W/1M/8 ohms – Minimum Power Required 1 watt

TRIO COMPACT/ Lacquer Horns/225 CTRL Nextel Subwoofers (2 pr.)
USD $36,970

TRIO COMPACT/ Lacquer Horns/225 CTRL Lacquer Subwoofers (2 pr.)
USD $38,970

TRIO CLASSICO/ Lacquer Horns/225 CTRL Nextel Subwoofers (2 pr.)
USD $37,970

TRIO CLASSICO/ Lacquer Horns/225 CTRL Lacquer Subwoofers (2 pr.)
USD $39,970

COMPACT is standard TRIO. CLASSICO incorporates custom curved frame and wiring harness (see brochure). All TRIO models include two pair 225 CTRL PRO Subwoofers

Mar 7, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 10
I used to stay up until like 1am, then start drawing what ever I was thinking that night. Drawing was a zone out/self expressive activity for me, but I grew out of it ever since I started taking art classes. Every one of them have sucked, it was ideed what you say, WORK. Music has always been a love of mine, just now it's deeper than ever.
smily_headphones1.gif

Even though the turntable that I used to have really sucked, I still miss the sound greatly. I think I'll go psychopathic if I don't get a new one soon...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 7, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 10
Welcome to pure analog smoothness....

If you're looking for a very inexpensive cleaning system, try the Orbitrac system. Its totally manual, but its $35 (get some extra pads). It does a pretty good job (a great job for the $).

I use that when I buy some used records. Everytime I'm going to play a side, I use a good anti-static dust brush and Stylast on the needle. I usually examine the needle after a side to see how much grime it has collected...that's my "when to clean again" rule.

I got replacement rice paper sleeves for the record and plastic sleeves for around the jacket. These will keep the dust level down.

Have fun!

Mar 8, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 10
I heard the Trios at CES as well.they did not have very good low level resolution.I was not the only person to notice this.the Dous with their built in amps and woofers offer much better bass.I ordered mine in Cadillac Limosine Black.I don't have them assembled yet but they are beautiful.I was going to buy a set of Martin Logan electrostatics but I'll wait till my store is opened so I'll have room for all this stuff.Don't even think that I paid $16,000.00 for these speakers.My wife would kill me and anybody that knew about it.My set came directly from the manufacturer,bypassing the US importer.I made this deal when I was in Vegas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back