The vinyl bug got me...
Nov 11, 2006 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hekoman

100+ Head-Fier
About a month ago I got the strange urge to buy a turntable so I could listen to some vinyl. I had seen a whole bunch of records in stores that I wanted to buy, plus I wanted to grab some of my dad's old LP and listen to them.

Well I started doing some research and I figured out very quickly that I could not afford a new turntable, so I started looking vintage because I have always had a thing for vintage gear. I was looking around on eBay and I found this beauty really cheap:

img0778sd9.jpg

It is a Dual 1229 fully-auto. They were made in the early 70's, and I just can't get over how awesome it looks. The previous owner said it needed a little work (no dust cover, runs a little to fast, and is missing a leg) I felt up to the challenge and bought it. It also did not come with a cartridge so I picked up a Ortofon OM10 Super pretty cheap on eBay:

img0782mu6.jpg

After about 2 days of playing with the various settings, I have finally got it to track correctly, and play at the correct speed. And let me tell you, this turntable is freakin sweet now.

Right now I am listening to Symponie Fantastique by Berlioz and if it was not for the occasional pop due to the old vinyl, this thing would sound absolutely perfect. There is just something I have found about listening to vinyl that is so much more satisfying that listening to anything else. It just sounded so good I had to share the love.

Nov 12, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 6
With the pitch control and interchangable headshells, that's an ideal turntable for 78s too.

See ya
Steve

Nov 12, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
(...) and interchangable headshells, (...)

Some of the TK adaptors are getting rather rare nowadays, though - might be a good idea to get a spare one, as long as they're still available. In this case, it should be a TK24, btw.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: hekoman: Congrats - that's a nice one. Did you get the changer adaptor, too? And welcome to Club Dual, btw. And in case you don't know yet: The best info site on Dual in English is dual-reference.com, while the best site on the whole probably is dual-plattenspieler.de including its forum subsite dual-board.de - both in German, but I'm pretty positive that the guys on the Dual-Board wouldn't mind English questions either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back