The Village Movie
Aug 18, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #16 of 25
I really enjoyed "Sixth Sense" and thought that "Unbreakable" was great. "Signs" was a huge letdown for me, and I began to think that maybe Shyamalan was overrated. "The Village" reconfirmed that suspicion. The dialog was awful and made any attempt at decent acting close to impossible. My sister actually guessed the first major surprise before we even saw the movie. I figured out the second major surprise but still had some doubts about my guess until the last minute because the idea seemed so ridiculous and stupid. Shyamalan really needs to go in hiding for 10 years and reinvent himself.

Aug 18, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #17 of 25
Potential Spoiler

I did not like this movie at all. TOO SLOW, but very interesting story line, a movie where you really have to think. I found myself laughing many times, mainly at the mentally challenged fellow.

Aug 18, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #18 of 25
I actually thought the movie was very well done. It wasn't scary, but there sure were some comedic moments!

-----------------------------SPOILER------------------------------------

The scene where the boy comes running into the house and announces Ivy had a confrontation with the beast, but killed it, was hilarious.

----------------------------End Spoiler-----------------------------------

I found the dialogue very convincing for the time period the director was attempting to portray.

Aug 18, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #19 of 25
I just saw it. I thought it was pretty good. Not the most exciting film, but it got its point out. I liked M's previous films and I would recommend this to someone who wants to think and feel. (I gotta admit though, the movie made me jump like a b***h a few times.)

Aug 18, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #20 of 25
Was I the only one whom felt the movie was too SHORT?

I mean, just when you get to the relationship stuff...

Aug 18, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Soiler alert

The beast lies in the heart of man.

Even with my meager background of literature, I kow this theme has been beaten to death so many times over.

MORE SPOILERS

That would the theme for something like "Lord of the Flies" or "The Heart of Darkness"/"Apocalypse Now".

This movie, IMO, was about the desire of people to protect and isolate themselves, and the dangers therein (a theme that might resonate with us Americans these days). It shows how closing yourself off from the outside world might keep you safe but has serious consequences. It shows the power of fear but also the impossibility of ruling through fear forever (though he does take an ambiguous stand on this in the end). IMO it's a deep movie that can viewed as commentary on a number of issues.

[EDIT]
It was awesome that Penn got a shoutout at the end. Shyamalan loves Philly and Penn. He has good taste.

Also, in the interest of "Full Disclosure", my girlfriend went to high school with Bryce Howard. I am famous by association
icon10.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Also, in the interest of "Full Disclosure", my girlfriend went to high school with Bryce Howard. I am famous by association
icon10.gif

Hehe...I have intentionally refrained from saying this, but since no one is following this thread, I go to highschool with an actor who was in a different Shyamalan film.
biggrin.gif
Use your senses to figure out who.

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #24 of 25
Someone that is currently enrolled in high school? or you went to college with that actor. If it's the former, you are SOOO off ampgalore.
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000
Hehe...I have intentionally refrained from saying this, but since no one is following this thread, I go to highschool with an actor who was in a different Shyamalan film.
biggrin.gif
Use your senses to figure out who.

I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back