the Very Simple Phono Stage (VSPS)
Mar 5, 2010 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

drclaw

100+ Head-Fier
I just ordered the VSPS kit. I was wondering if anybody else has built one?
I'm ready for it to arrive, although I really don't know when I will be able to build it.
triportsad.gif

RJM Audio - The Very Simple Phono Stage

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 18
I ordered a kit back in November I think (maybe the first week of Dec?). Quick simple build, I use it to 'rip' my LPs to my computer.

My father wants me to build one for him (his amp does not have a phono input) as he's planning to buy a turntable and dust off his vinyl collection; so I might be ordering another kit.

cheers!

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 18
Well, it came in a few days ago, but I have yet had time to put it together. Cursed studying.
I still need to order a transformer and some cases too, but I need to wait for some more funds :/

equalizer: How does it sound? Did you put the power supply in a separate case or in the same one?

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 18
I put the power supply in a separate enclosure, with a 2 meter (6 feet) umbilical. But there are pics around the web of people who've put both in the same enclosure, though they used a toroidal transfomer (I did not).

Do not try to save in the enclosure just because the circuit looks small. I made that mistake and, even though I managed to fit it in a small enclosure, it was a PITA, and the wiring ended up being somewhat messy. I'm looking into reworking the circuit into a larger enclosure with tidier wiring.

It sounds great! punchy bass, rich mids, non-harsh treble, slightly compressed dynamics. In fact I've started using it not only for needledropping but for listening too, since I discovered the phono stage in my old integrated tube amp is not working well (weak bass and boosted treble, with some harsh distortion).

Good luck with your build!

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 18
I built mine with everything in a single Hammond 1590FBK enclosure. Had a very slight hum with the amp volume turned up even without the TT connected. Cutting the power supply ground eliminated this.

The sound to my ears is great. My system is as follows: Sansui SR-4050 TT, Denon DL-110 cart, VSPS, and either a CMOY and Alessandro MS1 headphones, or a Yamaha consumer grade home theater receiver and Klipsch speakers.

Edit to add that I did use a toroidal transformer.

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 18
I know, I know, this thread is rather old, but I thought an update was due 
smile_phones.gif

I finally got some enclosures and a transformer and hooked it all up; however, I have to turn my amp all the way up to even get a little sound.  I'm not really sure what's wrong.  Everything looks good. 
confused_face_2.gif
   Anyone know what I might have done wrong?   

I would post pics, but I seem to have misplaced my camera. 

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 18
I don't know anything about this phono stage so forgive me if this sounds elementary!  What type cartridge are you using? MM or MC.....Is this phono stage set up for only MM cartridges? What about Your Cartridge  Impedance load???....

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 18
The phono stage is set up only for MM cartridges.  And looking over my build notes I see now that I have underlined "buy new cart".    I've been researching the cart that I have right now, a rather old ADC K8 I believe, and have not really come up with much.  

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 18
Jul 20, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 18
I'm interested in building one, but right now Hagarman is sold out.  

Thanks for the info nikongod!

I ordered a new cart.  Hopefully it is just that.  I don't need another project gone wrong.  

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
I want to, I just need to get the parts first.  I have a nice long mouser list and I'll and this to it, but my wallet has tucked its tail and run away. 
tongue.gif

That seems to be a problem for many of "US" on Head-Fi.......Take your time and enjoy your music on what you have!!!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back