The very best sound card for audiophile quality sound from a PC
Dec 31, 2002 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

msjjr

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for the best, cost no object, sound card for a PC to give me the best quality digital output available. My PC is the main source for my listening to wav files from ripped CD's.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dec 31, 2002 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 7
digisoft: Pro Tools, Echo: Mona/Mia, Creamware: Pulsar/Scope/Luna etc.
what output do you need?
for most of these card you want to use the balanced XLR outs either directly to active monitors or a mixerboard.

Dec 31, 2002 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm interested in a pure digital out 16/44.1 to go to an upsampling DAC. Maybe I just need something really simple. I've been investigating the M-Audio Delta 2496. Apparently the digital output is a totally separate signal path from the D/A path.

Jan 1, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 7
Go with a M-Audio card.

I dont use digital outputs, cause I have the Delta 44, but the card is amazing. I couldnt ask for a better card. I highly recommend M-Audio.

Jan 1, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 7
The Lynx2 is nice but you will be paying for more than digital output there. It doesn't make sense to pay like $1000 on a souncards just for digital output. I have the Audiophile 24/96 and it's a nice card. It has separate transciever chip for digital I/O. With the $$$ you save, it can go to an external DAC and/or jitter fixer.

Jan 1, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 7
If your amp (or where-ever the DAC is) has optical in, I'd consider the Terratec 6fire LT, which also delivers the signal bit-perfect through the digital-out. It is considerably cheaper than the M-Audio card atleast here in Finland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back