the usual ER6 fitting problem
Oct 6, 2004 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nights_85

500+ Head-Fier
I really have no idea how in hecks name Im supposed to insert these things properly.. no matter how hard I try there's always too much pressure or Im not getting a good seal cause it sounds ridiculously shrill and painful, not to mention the extreme lack of bass....

have I missed something searching these forums on how to insert them or am I just "unique" and cursed without the ability to get a proper seal

Oct 6, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 7
The foamies give a good general fit on the ER6. With the double flange, it is very difficult to get a good seal. The triple flange design on the ER6i is much easier to get a good seal with, but unless Ety makes those available for the ER6 model, that will be of little use for you. You could maybe ask them to do this though...

Second point: the ear canal of each user is a bit different. For me, I found that pulling my earlobe up and out drastically actually made it more difficult to get a seal. A very slight pull made it easier for me to find the location and follow the shape of my ear canal in insertion.

Third point: the ER6 has different sizes of foamies. Try all three sizes and see which one works best. You can't get them all the way into the canal so you are trying for the best seal of the outer canal. This is expensive ($15 for each of three sizes) but once you find the right size, you will be set. (And also each canal may need different sizes if your ears come from the Divine Mixed Pairs Department...)

Fourth point: do the hum test. With a good seal, when you hum, you should hear the noise echo in your head as if you were underwater. If you don't get a deep hollow sound to your humming that seems to echo, you do not have a good enough seal. The finger rub next to ear test is not very helpful for me, but the underwater hum works like a charm.

Final point: bass in the ER6 is very underwhelming. Low extension is barely noticeable, and even mid bass has far less impact then virtually any full size phone. What the ER6 offers is detail, soundstage, and clarity. Bass impact is really not their strength. However, the shrill highs should definitely go away once you find the right foamie.

good luck,

des

Oct 6, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 7
Your not alone i get the same crappy feel and fit. no matter what i do i still feel this air bubble pressure that builds up between the tip and my ear drum. The foamies do fit better but they wont last like everyone says a month maybe and they start to loose their form. If i pull and tug on my ears to release the pressure then the sound gets more thin and the bass fades even more. The foamies make them stick out more and i got them to listen to when i sleep. The sonys are more low profile and work better for sleeping but they can be a bit harsh at times.

Oct 6, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 7
you can make the ER4 tri-flanges fit on the regular ER6. You just have to push hard enough. The bi-flanges do not fit very well but the tri-flanges are much better.

the er6 does sound kinda shrill, i think that is just characteristic of their sound.

Oct 6, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 7
thanks for ur help guys(or gals). I currently dont actually have any foams as I bought these off a guy from headfi . I've also realised that I lean more towards the basshead side of the sound spectrum so Im not sure what Im gonna do with these and what else Im going to buy... my ipod earpphones are ok but I need something that isolates.. pity they dont make a complete all rounder that wont cost an am and a leg
rolleyes.gif

still I guess they're the "best" I've got for portable use at the moment

EDIT: As I tried wearing em one more time just a few moments after posting this I think I've managed to get a proper seal. I can hear myself hum and the sound seems to be fairly nicely layoud instead of the awfulness I had to put up with before. I just used to ear wax cleaning solution (not that I really needed it since I keep em clean all the time) and hey presto I can insert em properly. Same thing happened to me when I was using my e2c's... so I guess my canals just needed a little bit of lubing.. although it is a little bit of hit and miss when my ears go back to normal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back