The upcoming Sony Xperia i1 - the high-end audiophile's phone?
Jul 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

conquerator2

Headphoneus Supremus
Sony's rumored upcoming flagship - the Xperia i1 [codenamed Honami] seems to be finally checking all the right marks, covering audiophiles as well.
Sporting a 5,3" 1080P X-Reality display, which should provide improved contrast, viewing angles and deeper, more vivid color palette than the Xperia-Z.
Along comes a 20 MP rear facing camera (with bigger lens than its rival's) and a 2 MP front camera.
Specs also include a Snapdragon S800 clocked at 2,3 Ghz, 2 GB of RAM and an Adreno 330 high performance graphics chip, as well as 32 GB of internal storage with support for external cards up to 64 GB, along with even higher water and dust resistance certification [I55 and I58 respectively].
The internal battery should be 3000 m-Ah, probably not removable [removable would be great though, but not sure if it could work with water resistance]
What's more, perhaps the most importantly for us, this phone should also include the audiophile chip, which Sony is using in their current Z Walkmans.
For now, all these specs are rumored, but the phone is expected to be announced in Q3 of this year, so more info should be coming soon, along with pricing details.

Is this the phone we have been waiting for? I sure hope so. If all rumors turn out to be true, then we will have a worth contender in this Sony Xperia i1, combining the high-end hardware and audio prowess, along with an improved display and resistance.

A/N - The Xperia-Z was already a nice phone with its shortcomings being the less than stellar display and a somewhat mediocre audio chip so I will keep my fingers crossed for this one.
I currently own the Samsung Galaxy Ace II and was looking to upgrade to the Xperia-Z and show some loyalty to Sony [PS3, LED TV] because I really love the quality and design they offer [never had any problems with their products] but I will wait for the i1 and what it has to offer.

A picture:

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 12
Have you heard of Samsung GT-I9500?
Once you read about it, read about Cyanogenmod 10.1 and you got an audiophile phone, if we can call it like that.
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
Have you heard of Samsung GT-I9500?
Once you read about it, read about Cyanogenmod 10.1 and you got an audiophile phone, if we can call it like that.
biggrin.gif

Well I'd say Sony Walkmans use better audio chips than the S4. Also, can it swim? 
biggrin.gif

I am not into phone mods too much either, so I really want the next Xperia to be good by default.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 12
First the X-Play, and now if not this, we do know Sony has pledged to make an actual Walkman phone. I'm excited. Just hope they can make a deal to get it on other carriers like they did the PS phone back when.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 12
One of the biggest advantage of this phone is, the Clear Audio, Clear Bass, Equaliser and such Walkman audio settings will be merged into the System setting, instead of inside the Walkman App. What it means is the audiochip and output will work for any App you use for ur music playing. As an Android platform phone, this will make any man happy in terms of player selection. I personally use a lot of Spotify as well. Can't wait now.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 12
  any one  have news on the sound of this phone ?

The sound is said to be quite good.
Though the DAC chip is Qualcomm's

EDIT - Yes, it is the Xperia Z1.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 12
  any one  have news on the sound of this phone ?

Currently it's called Sony Xperia Z1 and it doesn't have any special "audio chip" from Sony. Just the standard one. The rest of specification is quite right: 20 MP camera (G-Lens from Sony), water- and dustproof construction, frame made of metal alloy, front and back made of glass (cover by shatterproof protector), 5-inch screen (FullHD, Triluminos Technology from Sony), microSD slot.

Currently it doesn't look like Sony is preparing special music smartphone, but maybe Sony could surprise us a little. I won't mind it :D

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 12

Currently it's called Sony Xperia Z1 and it doesn't have any special "audio chip" from Sony. Just the standard one. The rest of specification is quite right: 20 MP camera (G-Lens from Sony), water- and dustproof construction, frame made of metal alloy, front and back made of glass (cover by shatterproof protector), 5-inch screen (FullHD, Triluminos Technology from Sony), microSD slot.

Currently it doesn't look like Sony is preparing special music smartphone, but maybe Sony could surprise us a little. I won't mind it :D

ahh thats a shame i was thinking of getting this phone because maybe it would have better sound than the Z version but..... i guess not

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 12
I have had this phone for several weeks now. And I compared it to my Walkman Z & F. I use the F807 everyday. A-B test I can tell the difference between Z1 & F. But the difference is subtle. For a week now I've been just using the Z1 for music.

I use sony ex-1000 & IE80 for earphones btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back