The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen | Optical/Coaxial/USB digital output | Slim design | APT-X | TYPE C |
Mar 11, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #286 of 1,222
  so you guys can see how easy it will be designed a hifi smartphone cause ES9118 is designed to do that. 

So what is the current score? What are the provisionary specs of our Transport? Can we call it A1? :)

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #287 of 1,222
so you guys can see how easy it will be designed a hifi smartphone cause ES9118 is designed to do that. 

James, besides a slight moment of a short sighted perspective on my part I am excited to see this Transport being made. I like the name T1. :)

Do you have a projected timeline in mind to start production and for a release date?

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #288 of 1,222
New to the thread ...

I don't care too much about battery life as long as the thing can charge off a USB connection while playing.  And, if it can't be charged via USB, I won't buy it at all.

A 3.2" screen makes navigation easier than anything smaller.

I don't care about it driving headphones directly ... unless that's a first-rate implementation I'll never use it that way anyway (my intent is to drive my Chord Mojo with this transport).

If it doesn't ship with the ability to mount at LEAST 1 TB of storage (with existing, available, storage cards ... not some theoretical future product), then it might as well not exist for me.

It'll need at LEAST optical and USB outputs for me.  Not so worried about COAX for mobile usage, but that'd be nice too.

Anything less than that and I'll deal with the size of the Onkyo DP-X1.

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #289 of 1,222
I can see the press review now, 'when is a Transport not a transport?'

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #290 of 1,222
I can see the press review now, 'when is a Transport not a transport?'

Really man with 2 full sd you can have 1tb of storage easily. And i still havent heard a "no" to my suggestion of a 3rd sd card. Screw internal memory. Pretty much everything else uses 1 or 2 micro sd. Hell if im not mistaken x5 is the only fiio dap with 2 micro sd, and anything higher than 200gb seems pretty hard to find in that format. Considering you can get a 512gb sd card, that means you could have more capacity than an x5 in each card, which in turn is like twice as much as any of the cheaper daps. Even if we "just" get 2 sd cards, thats like the capacity for 3x the storage of an x7 or 5x an x3. There was some talk of msata, which would be intriguing. If they could keep the overall device thin msata would make me reconsider internal memory, especially if they could squeeze an sd card slot on there.

On amazon, a 512gb sd card is about $200. 1tb msata is under $300, while 200gb micro sd is $80. So while sd cards will greatly increase storage, msata capacity currently is the same as what you can get into 2 sd card slots, but cheaper and unless im mistaken much faster (notable for file transfers, if theres usb 3.0, although im not sure if that would require a more complex design).

So while msata would be cool, 3 sd would still give you a higher max capacity. But having msata + 1 sd would be ideal since the msata is lower cost per storage and the sd is easily transferrable, so youd get the benefits of both. Frankly i think msata + 1 microsd would even be nice, since microsd cost is now in line with full sd and it would still be higher capacity than 2x full sd yet the storage would cost less. itd be easier to implement than msata + 1 full sd as well of course due to micro sd's size.

Now, dual msata would be the ultimate i think, if they could somehow do it without compromising size (i assume theyre power efficient enough to not piledrive the battery). I wouldnt even care about sd cards, as long as i could access and swap the msata drive(s) of course.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #291 of 1,222

Maybe power gating (or something similar) the ES9118 will be helpful if it makes the battery last a little longer.

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #292 of 1,222
As long as we all reign in on the Wishlists I really do think that this would be a viable product.
1. I too, would love a "Transport" only but accept having to market this WorldWide and not just to the regular 20 or so contributors in this thread here means this will need the ability to playback via a headphone socket, which would not be possible without an added DAC
2. I would also love xTB of storage in my pocket, but I find an acceptable compromise of 2xSD card slots with something like 32Gb onboard to handle UI and basic storage.
3. A decent readable screen
4. If bluetooth facilities are to be included then a DAC of some kind would need to be included

As quoted  by JamesFiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"I believe that there are someone will insist on that the pure transport will be the best, I think it is ok and if the demand is big enough someone will make it in the future. but we don't need to discuss this in this thread cause we have decided to include a very simple and cost efficient DAC/AMP from ESS. trust me there will have not big difference between pure transport and transport with dac/amp in cost, size, battery life. "

I understand those who say "this is not for me if it includes a dac" 
We hear you, but I think it is time for those who accepts the arguments put forward by the OP, along with Fiio stand on this matter and let's move forward.
Mojo users, will at some time, have an SD card module to satisfy their needs.

There has never been a single product to meet everyones needs but maybe we can have a chance here to influence a design that will meet most of them.

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #293 of 1,222
I don't mind if it includes a DAC and headphone stage ... doubt I'll use it, but I don't mind that it's there.  Certainly not a deal breaker for me.

But anything less than 2 full size SD card slots, or their equivalent, will definitely mean a no-buy from me.  The microSD cards are not progressing in capacity at anything more than a snails pace - there has been no capacity increase in the last year.  The increase from 128 GB to 200GB wasn't the typically doubling in size .. suggesting issues with getting the feature/module size down enough to allow for rapid increases going forward.

If it's two microSD slots, then I'm out - I need the capacity now not at some nebulous time in the future.

In other words, repeating myself, have at least 1 TB of storage mountable the day it releases, with cards/drives I can easily buy, or it doesn't solve any problem I need to spend money on.

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #294 of 1,222
When James first discussed the x7 I lobbied with zero success for msata and regular not micro sd

We are now full circle. Plenty of crazies are modding iPods for lots of storage. Myself included.

So there is a need for a portable storage monster.

Count me in when a good dac and amp is added in

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #295 of 1,222
okay im having second thoughts

i think the dac amp section should be included IF it takes nothing away from the Actual transport part of the unit.

what i mean is dont think this way about it
"this CPU could have been a little bit faster but... we need to save money for the amp"
"We could of spent more time on the UI but... the dac section needs more work"

also it will be judged on its sq so if its budget sound thats double/triple price of the X1 it will get slated, hard.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #296 of 1,222
okay im having second thoughts

i think the dac amp section should be included IF it takes nothing away from the Actual transport part of the unit.

what i mean is dont think this way about it
"this CPU could have been a little bit faster but... we need to save money for the amp"
"We could of spent more time on the UI but... the dac section needs more work"

also it will be judged on its sq so if its budget sound thats double/triple price of the X1 it will get slated, hard.

First, they picked a low cost, decent dac/amp chip. It wont need "more work". Second, if this thing even has 1 sd slot, it will already have more storage capacity than the x5, fiio's highest capacity dap. 2 sd will be that much better, 3 better still, and of course im still holding my breath for msata. Couple it with a relatively low price, and i can easily see this doing well.

So potentially feasile storage options that should make everyone happy if it could be implemented:

2 x msata (current max capacity 2tb for under $600)
1 x msata, 1 x full sd (max cap 1.5tb for about $500)
3 x full sd (max cap 1.5tb for about $600)
1 x msata, 1 x micro sd (max cap 1.2tb for about $380)
1 x msata (max cap 1tb for under $300)
2 x full sd (max cap 1tb for about $400)

I have a hard time thinking of another great option.

Also, now that i think about it, bluetooth would be cool to sync this thing to a smart watch so you could leave it in your pocket and not worry about physical controls so often. Im getting a cicret bracelet when it comes out and the ability to control the transport with it would be totally awesome...although it might have to run android for that, and im thinking itd pretty much mean a touch screen.

While that functionality would be super cool, id still forego the touch screen if it meant allowing a higher storage capacity

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #299 of 1,222

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #300 of 1,222
I'd be happy with a low cost option with 2 sd card slots. $600? No thanks.

Just to clarify I was saying that 2 x 1tb msata drives would cost $600. Remember that per gigabyte msata will be cheaper than SD or microSD, so msata would mean higher Max Capacity as well as lower cost per gigabyte, and that the potential costs for storage would not be included in the cost of the player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back