The unthinkable happened.. MY AKGs BROKE!!!!!!! :-( :-( :-( :-(
Nov 2, 2001 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Xander

The XanMan is back!
AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Why has thou forsaken me!

I was getting ready to put GNR, UYI2 in.. And.. And.. The left earpiece wasnt working. WHAT. I wiggled the cord, cus as you guys know, it was pulled a few times.. Nothing. Swiveled the ear piece around, the sound would come back, then leave. Apparently one of the connects to the driver inside came loose.
frown.gif

So... What should I do? It's obviously a defect. I could send them to HeadRoom and probably get a new pair. But what a pain in the ass. Or, I could try and get them open and fix it myself.

Nov 2, 2001 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 16
That's too bad, a man can't function properly without his daily dose of Estranged. Hope everything works out for ya, just take it easy until you've heard what headroom has to say.

How's about a quote from UYI2 that kinda fits?

A moment to try and understand
another one's despair
Remember in this game we call life that no one
said it's fair

Nov 2, 2001 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 16
Sorry to hear this too. I have several friends who damaged their headphones this way. They solved their problems with wireless headphones, but the fidelity of wireless stuff sucks in comparison for the money paid (and who knows, maybe it causes cancer, hehe).

Is there anyway to prevent these tugs from destroying our expensive headphones? I have been thinking about the problems for years and I cannot figure out a good way of preventing accidents like this from happening. The problems become two sided: If the tugs are applied at the audio source, you hope the jack pops out of the headphone jack without pulling your audio equipment to the floor (which I actually have done before with my pcdp). Or, you have the wire break off the headphone on the user's side (which breaks most corded heapdhones).

The only good solution I saw is the disconnectable cable Sennhesier has with their HD590 and HD570. It saves the headphones, but may not save the pcdp it drags off the table. Of course, anchoring the source is a good idea too.

Nov 2, 2001 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 16
damn man, that sucks! If you still have a warrenty on it, send it in and get a new one. if not, replace it with the K501
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2001 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 16
And i was thinking of buying a pair of Akg's...hmmm (damnit!).

George

Nov 2, 2001 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 16
gloco, err, george, don't worry! This is the first case I've ever heard of AKG faliure. I can't believe my AKG's have survived some of the traumatic experiences I've put them through!

Nov 2, 2001 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 16
Neruda, lol, whichever name is fine
biggrin.gif

As for the Akg's, nah, i'm still seriously interested in the 501's with an amp. Or the Beyer 770, 990's. Hmmm, maybe i'll just get both
smily_headphones1.gif

Gloco=Georgio D' Loco

Nov 2, 2001 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 16
xander: mhm, it would be interesting to find out, whether it was the connection or the driver/voice coil that failed. but you should probably rather send your unit in than opening it. nevertheless: maybe you should be a little more careful next time, because...

neruda: ...this is not the first case of an akg breaking - i have a broken k400, here. left earpiece, too, i think. apparently the voice coil... <sigh> my k501 seems very durable, though. and i also have two k240ms with defunct automatic headband. All my broken akgs have lasted for at least 2 years, though. So the quality is not too bad.
wink.gif

gloco: well, maybe you should get a beyerdynamic DT531, instead!?! <wiggles his eyebrows and grins widely>
biggrin.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 3, 2001 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 16
I really dont think it's the voice coil wires, as the sound comes and goes as i wiggle the ear piece.. I tried to figure out how to get them apart, but they dont want to cooperate. I've been pretty careful with them, so I don't really think it's my fault that they broke. I mean, it's not even something that I could just "break" by throwing them around, unless I said there and wiggled the earpiece for 20 hours straight or something....

Nov 3, 2001 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 16
This is not a Big Problem. It is just a wire loose that needs to be resoldered because it was jerked once too many times.
I had an older set of 301's and I emailed AKG about the same problem. They emailed back with the directions to remove the covers and resolder the wires when I told them that i did my own repair work. Now I'll have to figure out where the email is or remember how it is done. There is a special way which will not harm anything.
Dan

Nov 3, 2001 at 11:05 PM Post #15 of 16
I just fixed it today. Actually, the wire in question had nothing to do with the cable...

Funny thing is, though... Wile listening to low, loud bass, I heard slight twitching sounds in the left earpiece before. After I soldered the wire and put them on, I swear they sound a whole lot better... Maybe the wire was hanging by a single strand or something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back