The unofficial Skyrim thread.
Nov 13, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #61 of 426
I thought he meant a PS3 console 
ph34r.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #63 of 426

Quote:
The retail price in Australia is around $99.  At least we pay about the same for its soundtrack.  
biggrin.gif

Holy crap, that's a lot of money for a video game.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #64 of 426

Quote:
Holy crap, that's a lot of money for a video game.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I remember the days when videogames cost around $75 bucks new here in the US. That was for the SNES and Genesis, too. Then there was Phantasy Star 4 that cost $99 new.

Oh lawdy, then there was the Neo-Geo... those carts were like $400+ bucks! Crazy early nineties system that used actual arcade boards.

Seems like games got cheaper for a while, then started climbing back up again in recent generations.

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #65 of 426
I remember back when you could get a really good PC game for $10 bucks, or a cheap one for $5. You got more for the money, too - in those days you got all sorts of maps, posters, strategy thingies and whatnot. Now you have to pay $130 for the same stuff.

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #66 of 426

Quote:
I remember back when you could get a really good PC game for $10 bucks, or a cheap one for $5. You got more for the money, too - in those days you got all sorts of maps, posters, strategy thingies and whatnot. Now you have to pay $130 for the same stuff.

PCs themselves were pretty costly back in the days of yore, though. You can get a lot more for your money these days in terms of hardware.

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #67 of 426

Quote:

PCs themselves were pretty costly back in the days of yore, though. You can get a lot more for your money these days in terms of hardware.

I can build a gaming rig for $700. But do i want to? Nah i'm to lazy.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #68 of 426

Quote:
I can build a gaming rig for $700. But do i want to? Nah i'm to lazy.

I've always been a console person, myself. Though I used to build computers for fun. It's not so much laziness as it is a lot of games I enjoy being console-only.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #69 of 426
Skyrim is here 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have work to do first, though.

Of course, Steam won't load the launcher. I just get the "Preparing" message flashing endlessly. So I can't change any of my graphics settings. Can anyone with the game working copy paste the contents of their Skyrim.ini file here so I can try to set it up manually?

Oh nevermind, that stuff's in the Prefs.ini file now.

Launcher works now too, Steam had to update.

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #70 of 426

Quote:
What's the bitrate of the files in the game's Music folder? Or does it not have one like Morrowind and Oblivion?

Not sure, but the sound's been a bit frustrating for me.  Clippy and staticy with my E10 set to 24/96 (fine with 24/48 though) and the whole game crashes on the menu screen when I try to switch it back to onboard audio.  I haven't tried lowering the onboard audio quality to 24/48 to see if it will work like that yet though.  Skyrim is the only game that's ever done this to me, and I'm not sure why it does it.

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #71 of 426
There's no Music folder like the past games, the songs are packaged into the Sound.bsa file, and they're in a xwm file format I'm not familiar with. VLC plays it fine, but I can't check the bitrate or sampling rate. The game sounds great for me with two channels and Dolby Headphone though.

I've tried an axe-and-shield Nord and dual-magic High Elf so far. I'm really liking magic, much more fun than point-and-shoot spells of previous games. It's easy so far, I may need to increase the difficulty later. I'm so used to FCOM in Oblivion 
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #72 of 426
The thing that is really getting on my nerves is the random crashing to desktop.  It seems to happen randomly and nothing apparently or obviously triggering it.  I can go 8+ hours playing with no crashing or it can be like today where its apparently crashing every 15 min or so....

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #75 of 426
I just got it today. Haven't noticed any crashing, And i play on high in 720p on my laptop.

My specs aren't that great either.

4gb ram
intel core i3 370m 2.4ghz
500gb hard drive with windows 7 at 5400rpm
ati radeon hd 5470 at 512mb

I play it on my 27inch monitor. It's pretty sweet.

I was shocked when it said detecting recommended settings and it was set at high. Maybe the developers of this game did a good job in making it less of a resource hog. Loving the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back