The Unltimate HTPC Soundcard...
Jun 6, 2008 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

roadtonowhere08

Headphoneus Supremus
I will preface this with the fact that I have no intention of buying this, as I am happy with my DAC1, but DAMN...

AnandTech: Computex 2008 - ASUS Brings Joy to Our Ears

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

ASUS is right on the money with this product. It will be expensive, but I hope it sells well, especially with the HTPC crowd. It's got everything!!! Congrats, ASUS. I hope you take Creative's crown...

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 6
Yes, it's pretty impressive looking.

If I wasn't all about quality two channel audio even for movies it would be on my list for my HTPC.

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it's pretty impressive looking.

If I wasn't all about quality two channel audio even for movies it would be on my list for my HTPC.

Ditto. I have neither the money or space to go to 5.1 or beyond. Besides, if I want 3D sound, binaural for headphones crushes everything anyway.

Since, optical and coax can do 2ch. 24/192, the only reason for HDMI is for multichannel due to increased bandwidth. Nevertheless, ASUS really has been the forerunner for consumer soundcards for 2 generations now. They know what to include and what not to. With the exception of EAX, there is no reason for Creative to not start loosing massive market share to ASUS, Auzentech and the like.

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 6
Yes, those 120dB SNR analog out also allow those original, non-downsampled 24bit audio to playback according to ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 spec. Now users will get the high-quality audio content out finally! It will bring the sound card's DAC into full play.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto. I have neither the money or space to go to 5.1 or beyond. Besides, if I want 3D sound, binaural for headphones crushes everything anyway.

Since, optical and coax can do 2ch. 24/192, the only reason for HDMI is for multichannel due to increased bandwidth. Nevertheless, ASUS really has been the forerunner for consumer soundcards for 2 generations now. They know what to include and what not to. With the exception of EAX, there is no reason for Creative to not start loosing massive market share to ASUS, Auzentech and the like.

Not only for multi-channel only, it's for Full-HD protected audio playback for Blu-ray movies or music (by 192KHz/24bit LPCM or DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD bitstream). You can't get that with any PC audio or sound card now (all downgraded). Therefore, it delivers obvious benefits for even stereo speaker users. And it can play the HD audio by its 120dB analog output (stereo to 7.1-channel) to the old AVRs without HDMI as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back