The UNDER-RATED Joe Jackson...
Jan 24, 2002 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
So I'm sitting here listening to the new double-disc Joe Jackson anthology, and I'm thinking to myself-- "damn, these are some classic songs".

I always really liked Joe Jackson, but kinda always saw him as a sort of "lesser Elvis Costello"-- but who can compete with him anyway? Well, this 2-disc set is a spectacular (and spectacular sounding) collection of top-notch songs of which any songwriter would be justifiably proud.

Jackson is a lot like Costello in his amazing ability to adopt different sounds and yet always sound like himself. He's some kind of virtuoso with a talent distinct from Costello, but almost equally worthy.

This new collection ("Steppin Out") really captures Joe at his best. Way recommended!

Any other fans want to chime in and help convince those unfamiliar with Joe?

markl

Jan 24, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 17
Sorry, markl
frown.gif

I bought it in December. I like a number of Joe Jackson songs, but had never heard a lot of his lesser-known stuff, so I thought I should give it a try. He's definitely talented but (and this is just my opinion; I respect any opinions to the contrary
wink.gif
) he's not in the same league as Elvis Costello.

While the recording quality was good, as you said, I just couldn't get into the music. There were the real hits, and a couple other songs, but given that there are so many songs on the 2 CDs, I was surprised I didn't find that many I enjoyed.

But, that being said, I'm really glad you like it -- if you're a big Joe Jackson fan, it definitely has a lot of material and good production.

Jan 26, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 17
markl,
okay, let me get this straight.

first it was costello, and then XTC. now it's joe jackson. and you'll probably tell me you're a jam fan (note: notice the rickenbacker).

it brings up the question: do i know you, man?
smily_headphones1.gif

i've pretty much covered all the music i listened to in college here in this post.

anyway, i have look sharp and i'm the man both from '79. good albums. not as good as armed forces but good nevertheless. i'd recommend look sharp to anyone who likes rock. the sound is kinda thin though.

Jan 26, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 17
Hey, while I'm not a big Joe Jackson fan (or so it appears since I couldn't properly appreciate his GH album
wink.gif
), I'm a huge XTC, Elvis Costello, and Jam fan
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 17
I got his Body And Soul CD some time ago. Is a great sounding album, beautiful music and even a big hit. It is higly recommended for headphone listening, is so realistic and spacious. Is not for very young people. May be needs ten more years to sound like great old music and not like dated 80s music.

Jan 26, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 17
Yes, I love the Jam. They have a newly remastered greatest hits that's an English import which replaced my Compact Snap! that was one of my very first CDs! Sound quality is greatly improved on the new one, you should check it out.

The Jam has a second "greatest hits" collection that contains material not on Compact Snap! but the material is not as good.

I also have the Paul Weller solo best of, which is OK.

If you like "songwriters with attitude" who write for adults, I'd also recommend Randy Newman (Bad Love, the new best of, or the box set), or even Warren Zevon's latest "Life'll Kill Ya".

Supposedly Graham Parker has a new CD "deepcut to Nowhere" that's also supposed to be great.

markl

Jan 26, 2002 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 17
MacDEF and markl must have been in my college clique and i just don't know it.

yeah, the jam are great. my favorite jam album must be this is the modern world. but the guitar sound on their first album, in the city, is to die for! the way [size=small]weller[/size] 's rick just explodes out of that vox ac30. the high notes just shimmer. love that album too. he had a different guitar sound on modern world--i always suspected he blew his vox and had to use another amp.

hehe, looks like we're the mods of head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, i tried to listen to randy newman's bad love but couldn't stand it. sorry markl . . . i tried.

Jan 26, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 17
For a long time, I had trouble with Newman's basic singing-style. There's something about it that just didn't ring true.

But over time, as I came to understand more of where he was coming from, I realized that that affectation is all part of the Newman "persona". Once you buy into the persona, you can relax and get into the music.

I think he's at least as clever as Elvis Costello, but much more economical and focused in his use of words. There's tremendous depth to his songs, layered with parody, sarcasm, and black, black humor.

It's worth sticking with it; it pays off in the long run.

markl

Jan 26, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 17
Hey Markl,
Have you listened to Jackson's 80-86 live double album? Very impressive. I enjoy the way he reworked some of those classic songs for the live perfomances---esp. Steppin' out. jeremy

Jan 26, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 17
Yeah, I used to have that one a long time ago, but for whatever reason, I sold it. Now I wished I hadn't. Those were some smokin' performances of his eary material. I especially remember "Got the Time".

markl

Jan 26, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I also have the Paul Weller solo best of, which is OK.

True, but I do love his Style Council stuff, loungy as it can be
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 17
Yeah, I think I'm overdue to re-discover Style Council. As a matter of fact, I was just reading about a new collection of theirs in one of the major British mags. The reviewer basically said, "you know, we were way too hard on the Style Council." He gave it a very positive review. I'll try to find it used at www.secondsounds.com.

Also, FYI, the next 3 Elvis Costello remasters are due in mid Feb, and they are 3 of my favorites this time:

This Year's Model (my ALL-TIME FAVORITE ALBUM!)

Brutal Youth (EC's scorching blazing "re-union" with the Attractions). 1993. This was clearly EC's reaction to grunge and new punk. He really schools a lot of thaose bands on this overlooked classic. Written entirelly in TEN days!

Blood and Chocolate. One of his most caustic and scathing albums. A minor classic in its own right and a more rock-oriented approach.

Can't wait!

markl

Jan 26, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 17
markl:

I have five Style Council albums:

Introducing
Our Favourite Shop
Cafe Bleu
Head Start For Happiness
The Singular Adventures

Not sure which I like the best. Some are definitely more "poppy" while others are more "loungy." The version of "My Ever Changing Moods" on Cafe Bleu is pretty great, though.

Jan 27, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 17
What was the name of the "live" Joe Jackson album? I was thinking about hunting it down, but realised I've forgotten the title. It wasn't actually a live album in the regular sense of the word (screaming audiences, bad recording) The musicians simply played all the tracks straight through without any overdubs. I remember it was one of my favourite Joe Jackson albums and I'm sure it sounds absolute great through headphones with that live ambience and a quality recording. Regarding Joe Jackson, I wouldn't put him in the same league as Elvis Costello, because Jackson went off on a more sophisticated musical journey than Costello, experimenting with different musical forms like big band or Gershwin-style music (okay, Costello had his ballad and western "thang") and following a "musician's journey" rather than a pop star's. Is it any wonder he fell by the wayside? No, you couldn't compare their singing either. Costello is a much more versatile (and "better") singer, and Jackson had more of an interesting, quirky voice. But I highly recommend listening to his stuff. He was definitely underrated!

I remember The Jam. There was a huge fuss about them during the late 70s, so I bought an album that had a song called "New Art School" on it (can't remember the album). It was okay, but certainly not the second coming of the Beatles like they were being played up as at the time. No hard feeling if you liked them, they just seemed kind of simplistic (well so were the Ramones, but they rocked) and bland and certainly far less interesting than much of music that was happening around the time of the punk movement. They didn't even qualify for a second album purchase. That's one memory I feel no urge to retrace. (Add The Baby's to that)

Randy Newman: It's almost impossible to recommend him to anyone. Either you hear one of his albums and chuckle quietly to yourself over his cynical/satirical lyrics or you just don't get him. I love him beyond belief, but I don't have any friends that will let me play his albums while they're around. They hate him, and it kills me. I think the main reason is that Newman is sort of a "literary" music experience. Yes, he writes some absolutely beautiful music. But I think of him as the kind of entertainer that the Algonquin Round Table would have taken under their wing as their "house band". Smart, cynical with clever melodies that harken back to more musically sophisticated days. If music is all about bumping your ass to techno, or if you haven't listened to Scott Joplin or Cole Porter, you'll probably won't wind up a Newman fan.

Jan 27, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #15 of 17
I think the one you're thinking of is "big world". The manager at the music store I worked in throughout high school and college used to play it all the time. It's a very consistent-sounding album and has some great songs.

As for the Jam, I honestly have no use for their earlier material either, but by the end of their evolution, that had morphed in a tight little punk-pub-rock band that added a Motown/R&B flavor to their sound to surprizingly good effect ("Town Called Malice" for example). Their newish greatest hits package ('97 "very best of the jam") is a remastered version of the popular "Compact Snap" best of.

Maybe you're right about Newman. He's a one of a kind, and so an aquired tatse.

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back