The under-rated Green Day...
Oct 20, 2002 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Yes, their legacy is Blink-182, Sum 41, Avril Lavigne, and their low-brow like. That's a lot to answer for... They may consider themselves "punk", but they sure as hell ain't the Clash or the Dead Kennedys. But when you're this good-- who cares?

I'd like to make a case for this little band as one of the tightest, most accomplished of the last 10 years. In short, Green day shreds!!

I saw them live about two years ago at the Filmore here in Northen CA and let me tell you, this is one ****-hot little band live. They literally made the wooden floor of the Filmore bounce and vibrate so much that its force made you bounce up and down involuntarily. I've seen a lot of shows at the Filmore, but Green day was by far the most rockin' and energetic.

Their best album IMO is "Insomniac" which is probably their least commercially appreciated release. This is wall-to-wall killer grooves and tight musicianship. You work up a sweat just listening to it.

Anyone else think this is an under-rated band?

Mark

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 32
i never thought they were under-rated, they were huge for a while, however, with MTV changing directions bands like Green Day were left on the side. Great band though and i feel that "Nimrod" is a fantastic album, check it out of you haven't picked it up yet.

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 32
"Nimrod's" a close second. But not as consistent as "Insomniac". "Warning" is clearly a transitional album. They're still trying to figure out how you take this youth-oriented band into adulthood. I hope they sort it out. They recently toured with Blink-182 which is not a good sign.

For the record, I'm originally from San Diego, where Blink-182 is from. I was friends with a friend of their "Manager" at the time. This was before their major-label deal. They used to play at this little club called "Soma" that was an under-age joint favored by teen-agers. I was already over 21 at that time, but occasionally, a good band would play at Soma. Blink's then-manager convinced me and my friends to show up for one of their shows at Soma. I was one of the oldest guys in line-- I was so embarassed. It was full of pot-smoking 14-year olds with skateboards.

Blink-182 came on, and boy did they suck. God they were awful. Without their expensive production techniques, that band is *awful*.

Mark

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by markl

Their best album IMO is "Insomniac" which is probably their least commercially appreciated release.

you must not have heard kerplunk! then, markl. i have a lot of issues with green day. once they sold out and signed to a major label it was all down hill from there.

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 32
A band like Green day was "pop" from the get-go, whether they realized it or not. For a band like this, "selling out" just means having access to better producers and better studios and better sound quality. I still think "Insomniac" is just a killer album, way better than "Kerplunk". They *progressed* man!

Mark

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

They *progressed* man!
Mark

LOL!

to me selling out means changing your music style. like writing ballads and releasing them as singles for commercial airplay when before it was all rockin'. and like getting your face plastered all over TRL and trying to be the poster-boys of 'punk rock' for the kiddies. just my opinion.

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
LOL!

to me selling out means changing your music style. like writing ballads and releasing them as singles for commercial airplay when before it was all rockin'. and like getting your face plastered all over TRL and trying to be the poster-boys of 'punk rock' for the kiddies. just my opinion.

IMo they were trying to make money like everyone else.

What's so cool with being broke the rest of your life?

confused.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 32
hey blink 182 WAS good just listen to dude ranch. dammit is one of the rock songs ive ever heard. but other than that ya all the others suck and green day kicks serious ass

Oct 20, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 32
Hmmmmm... after being tortured with "Basket Case" I decided I'd pass. I haven't yet found the motivation to turn back and search for Green Day's best material.

No matter. Can didn't hit my shelves until 1991. If it's good, it's gonna wind up in my collection... eventually...

Oct 20, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 32
Blink 182 - Dammit is my favorite punk songs.

Greenday I like Geek Stink Breath, Walking Contradiction, Panic Song and When I Come Around. So overall I would say I like Insomniac the best.

Biggie.

Oct 20, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
heydammit is one of the rock songs ive ever heard.

And for my part, Blink 182 is, without question, one of the bands that I have heard in my life.

biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 10:25 AM Post #13 of 32
i regretably agree with mr. guidry
wink.gif

i swear to god mark is carrying the whold music thread on his shoulders. maybe i should start a slew of threads to attract people with taste.. i mean different taste to the forum.

i swear to god i don't mean it, but my effing hands just keep typing. i suppose i was a big duki fan in my day; but in my defense i was 12 years old.

sum41 *shiver*

*taffyguy attempts to crap on every thread before going idle for another 2 weeks.

hey mark i love your new avatar, and to save face kelly hates me too. maybe if we start a thread and go back and forth enough he'll die spontaneously of an aneurysm. **** its time for bed.

Oct 20, 2002 at 12:19 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Yes, their legacy is Blink-182, Sum 41, Avril Lavigne, and their low-brow like. That's a lot to answer for... They may consider themselves "punk", but they sure as hell ain't the Clash or the Dead Kennedys. But when you're this good-- who cares?

I'd like to make a case for this little band as one of the tightest, most accomplished of the last 10 years. In short, Green day shreds!!

Anyone else think this is an under-rated band?

This group was definitley not under rated, quite the contrary they received heavy rotation on MTV and several in person appearances, MTV Awards show also the woodstock fiasco. At least you are aware that this is pop/punk that your little sister probably likes them also. I rarely want to listen to them, but in this group of 90's pop/punk I prefer Blink 182, and find them more "accomplished" if we can use such adjectives for these groups. Avril has to be the biggest poser of them all, Hansons sound with pretty punk clothes they bought at the mall........heh heh

The punk sound of the 1990's revival was carried on by groups like Pennywise and Rancid, this is real angst ridden teen rebellion.
To sum up Green Day is OK mainstream pop/punk, but I wouldn't rate any of their CDs in the top 100 of the 1990's.

BTW, I agree they sure aren't the (early) Clash
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #15 of 32
Underrated?

Dookie was ubiquitous for anyone in elementary through high-school from about 1993-1997 here in SoCal.

As for green day... I can't honestly judge. I guess I don't like it, but can't admit it simply because I listened to it so darn much during my impressionable elementary school years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back