The "Ultimate" Portable SQ Complete System?
Jun 28, 2011 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

thelionrampant

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm a newbie here, so looking for lots of ideas and advice.

I'm a former SQ competitor in In Car Audio; having used high-end products throughout my time competing and enjoying the ICE scene (Nakamichi, Xtant, Genesis, KEF, Hifonics, Alpine F#1 Status, JL Audio, CDT Audio, etc.). So, I like 'true' high-end SQ.

Anyway, I no longer compete and find that most of my commuting on business is via  trains and planes nowadays. So, I'm looking to upgrade my old Sony NW-HD5 20gb MP3 player and take the bull by the horns and go in search of the Ultimate in Portable Audio.

I'm looking for the following equipment:

Source.

I think it's got to be an iPod, because of all the dedicated iPod compatible ancillaries available; docks, etc. I'm not too bothered whether it's Classic or Touch, but would want at least 64gb, as I keep having to empty and fill my Sony time and again to cope with my existing music collection. I personally think the iTouch is a sexy looking beast, but SQ is of prime importance, so if you guys resoundingly say "Classic", then it'll be a Classic I'll seek.

DAC/Portable Amplifier.

A bit of an unknown territory for me, so any suggestions as to the ultimate in portable DAC/Amp is gratefully received.

IEM's.

I've been using a plethora of DJ-style cans with my Sony MP3; Sony MDR-700DJ's, Beyer Dynamic DJX-1's, but I'm getting older and feel a bit self-conscious walking about looking like a DJ without a party to play! So, I'm looking for ideas and recommendations for custom-fitted IEMs.

Cabling.

Obviously(?) I'll be looking for suggestions for the 'Ultimate' in Source-DAC connectors.

Finally, the really important stuff, as far as I'm concerned - the music! I listen to a wide range of music; AC/DC, Air, Annie Lennox, Bjork, Kate Bush, The Chemical Brothers, Faithless, Fleetwood Mac, Leftfield, Massive Attack, Nelly Furtado, New Order, Orbital, Rammstein, Simple Minds, etc. as well as HEAPS and HEAPS of Trance and Hard House.

My budget is pretty much open, as the equipment cost in my last car system probably exceeded $25,000, so I'm more prone to go for Ultimate sound quality than quibble over a couple of hundred dollars (or rather pounds) here and there. I hope you'll be able to give me some wonderful pointers in finding the 'Ultimate' things to seek.

Thank you.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 26
1) The sound of the iPod will be irrelevant in the high-end set ups since the internal DAC and amp are bypassed if you're using the high end stuff (see no2), personally I'd get the 64GB Touch as it's ridiculously thin and therefore reduces the overall bulk of the following components

2) Either Cypher Labs Algorhythm  Solo or the Fostex HP-P1, as they extract pure digital signals from the iPod and have good DACs, and in the Fostex case, a built in amp as well, although this can be bypassed. Currently these are the only two portable transports for iPod.

As for amps and IEMs/headphones, very much personal preference. The final rig will be portable but definitely not pocketable.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 26
just like Somnambulist says, if an iPod is going to be used, I would say the iPod Touch and Algorhythm Solo/Fostex HP-P1, as those have great DACs built in. not really sure which has a better DAC though.
just a little picture comparison of how "big" the portable rigs will be: http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-jude/5738501362/in/set-72157626635797853/ (to the left is an iPhone/iPod, can't really tell- with the algorhythm solo and the emmeline SR-71B portable amplifier. and to the right is an iPod Classic with the Fostex HP-P1)

as for IEM's I would look into JH Audio JH16Pro, JH13Pro and Westone ES5. but I'm sure there are a lot more to consider, those are the ones I know of that are considered really high end customs. it's hard to say what headphones fit what music because that is very personal. but I'm sure you will get a lot of help here to point you in the right direction.

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 26
Here is my previous “portable” setup with ridiculously expensive cables. Please don't get to this point, it's not portable!
rolleyes.gif

iMod playing FLAC with Rockbox and yoTank case.
ALO Super Cotton Dock
ALO Portable V-Cap Dock
ALO Super Cotton Mini-to-Mini
RSA The Hornet

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 26

Quote:
just like Somnambulist says, if an iPod is going to be used, I would say the iPod Touch and Algorhythm Solo/Fostex HP-P1, as those have great DACs built in. not really sure which has a better DAC though.
just a little picture comparison of how "big" the portable rigs will be: http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-jude/5738501362/in/set-72157626635797853/ (to the left is an iPhone/iPod, can't really tell- with the algorhythm solo and the emmeline SR-71B portable amplifier. and to the right is an iPod Classic with the Fostex HP-P1)

as for IEM's I would look into JH Audio JH16Pro, JH13Pro and Westone ES5. but I'm sure there are a lot more to consider, those are the ones I know of that are considered really high end customs. it's hard to say what headphones fit what music because that is very personal. but I'm sure you will get a lot of help here to point you in the right direction.

Munchzilla,

"I'm sure you will get a lot of help here to point you in the right direction."

It's very apparent that I already am!  Many thanks.  :)

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
As long as it will fit into a 'man bag' and I don't need to drag it around behind me on wheels, it's portable enough!  I'm guessing here, but all the peripherals run on rechargeable batteries?

yep, rechargeable batteries indeed.

well, I wish I knew what setup would be considered the most high end one... but any iPod with either of the gear I mentioned above (they only work with the iPod Lineout) is a good start. there is a 64GB iPod Touch, which you can use for more than just listening to music since it runs iOS. I am not sure if the iPhone might work too, but I'm not really going to assume you have one. but if you do, you can save some money there (though answering the phone might be a real pain in the behind)
anyhow, I hope you get some good answers from people who know their portable gear, I kind of only know the basics

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 26
What I am going to be using (my perfect setup) as well as what I am using right now:

What I'm using now:

HiSound Audio STUDIO-V as source (all FLAC songs)
TTVJ Slim as portable amp
Ortofon e-Q5's

My perfect setup which I will have in a few weeks:

iPod Video 32GB Black as source (all ALAC songs)
Audinst AMP-HP ad portable amp
Westone 4's or Earsonics SM3, whichever I bite the bullet on first, unless the CEO of Westone (Lynn) that I talked enough wants to send me one out *wink*. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
As long as it will fit into a 'man bag' and I don't need to drag it around behind me on wheels, it's portable enough!  I'm guessing here, but all the peripherals run on rechargeable batteries?

I literally just got back from watering the garden here in sunny southern California and had in my side shorts' pocket the iPod Classic 160gb+Solo+Pico Mini+JH13s (with cables of course) and my shorts only fell down twice.  No, I'm being an idiot here, the rig was just fine and I did not shock the neighbours!  So, yes, the rig is bigger than, say, a Nano 6+RSA Shadow+Klipsch 10 (great for the gym!), but I find it readily portable and use it as such all the time.  No bag, just me shorts side pocket.

Yes, the JH3A/16s will add an inch or so and a few ounces whenever it arrives, but portable it will be with the rest (minus the Pico Slim)........

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 26
DAP (Digital Audio Player)
Since you are set on using an iDevice, may I suggest that you just buy a nano for now, then upgrade to the 128Gb Touch that is reported to be released in September. Convert all your CDs to ALAC (Apple Lossless). You'll be all set for your DAP and source music.

DAC
As was reported earlier, only the Fostex and Solo are capable of pulling the raw data from an iDevice (in portable form, anyways). I suggest to get the Algorythm Solo. The Solo does much more than just pull the data from the iDevice, so check out the reviews and videos. It has reference grade Wolfsen DAC, and your music will be perfectly clocked and ran through the DAC and out to an amp of your choice. So, now your DAC is covered.

Amp
If you are only going to use custom in ear monitors with this rig, most are very sensitive, so an amp like the $400 Pico Slim will work great. The Slim will push your IEM's about as loudly as the Nano, but much cleaner. Think about the difference between a nice JL amp like the 1000/1 and a 1000 watt Jensen amp. The Pico Slim is the JL, while the stock amp in the Nano is the Jensen. If, however, you'd like a litle extra headroom, step up to the TTVJ or the $450 Cypher Labs RX MkII. The RX MKII was redesigned to work in concert with the Solo, so they have the same footprint and all the connection points match up perfectly.

On the other hand, if you decide that you want to use your DJ headphones with this rig, then the TTVJ or MKII should be the minimum amp selected. Time to move on the the IEMs.

Custom IEM
Since you like house, I am going to suggest the JH16 Pro. $1300, and worth every penny, so I am told. Well, now your IEM's are covered. Time to get your cables and interconnects.

Cables
There are 2 camps here. One camp says that the cables and interconnects are so short that any well-constructed cable will do. The other camp believes that cables make a big difference, especially if every other component in your audio chain is high-end. If you are in the first camp, there are plenty of cheap but acceptible connects. If you are in the second camp, $500 will cover your cables and inteconects. Here are the cables needed:

1.LOD that has a 30-pin connector on one end and USB on the other. This connects your Nano to the Solo. Only needs to be about 3.5 inches in total length. Or about 2 inches of cable showing.
2. From the Solo to the Pico Slim amp, you'll need a 3.5 to 3.5 inteconnect. about 4 inches in length from end to end, or about 2.5 inches of cable showing.
3. Stock or custom cables to go from amp to IEM's.

High end interconnects for #1 and #2 will run about $235 for the pair. Custom cables are around $200 on up to about $1000.

You better post pics when you are done putting your rig together. The Gods DEMAND it!!

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 26
Best trade off for sound vs portability I conclude would be to

- Buy a cowon J3
- Buy a reallly good set of headphones such as the Radius DD (AWESOME)
- These headphones do not require an amp- BUT sound better than most amped headphones

You wont go wrong with this combo

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #15 of 26
If you don't mind the sheer bulk then the iTouch, Algorythm Solo & Rx MK2 combo would be perfect. http://aloaudio.com/algorhythm-solo-rx-mk2-amp-alo-audio-interconnects-combo-package-black.html <--- this includes the requisite cables.

It's not practical for me to carry around something of that size and weight, and so, in what I see as the best compromise, use a Classic (which has a good DAC already) with a line out dock to the Headstage Arrrow. Sounds excellent and keeps the bulk down to an absolute minimum (the Arrow is seriously thin).

A custom IEM is definitely the way to go, no compromises there whatsoever. 100% portable and pretty much the best SQ you will find, whether going the full-size or IEM route. The JH Audio, Ultimate Ears, Unique Melody and Westone customs are all worth taking a look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back