The ultimate portable setup, completed...
May 1, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
...nice one mate.

anyway,I think I just found my ultimate portable setup after experimenting a few setups including portable amps (headroom total airhead), it is D2 with pk2 (written in my sig by the way). well,I got this setup for a long time but I was experimenting other players (ipod,sansa clip+ etc.) and earphones including some IEM's.
this setup sound the most neutral/balanced but also musical and fun at the same time,the sound resembles the HD650 a bit
bigsmile_face.gif
ofcourse I needed to gently EQ the D2 for it to sound more like the clip+ and i must say that now it even sounds a bit better imo. clip+ with more balls to it
biggrin.gif

when comparing the sound to my full size home rig,the d2+pk2 is very impressive soundwise and not too far behind actually.
I don't need any amp at all...when you have a super efficient earphone like the pk2 there is no need in an amp,they sound like they already being amped (well...they are in fact).

Good to hear you are enjoying your setup!

May 2, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now just to make it portable.

Nah I kid, I'm just jealous as hell as that probably sounds heavenly.

It's really not even that hard to manage in hand, yes it mammoths the slim and sexy iPod Touch though, lol.

May 2, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #49 of 60
Hi Sonic,
I ended up at the same place as you did. Just got the 801 yesterday. Walked into the store with an ipod, protector, and JH13's and spent 1/2 hour or so auditioning the 801s. I decided to wait a bit (hoping for the next edition of the 801's - the 802's? with better battery life and/or better way of recharging while traveling (stuck with a 220v adaptor). But walking away and listing to the ipod, I noticed how different it sounded in comparison to the 801, so I returned to the store and bought it. Got a 32GB sound card and am working to fill it up now.

Enjoyed your videos on youtube!

May 2, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #50 of 60
Very....very nice setup. Hi-fi SQ on the go!

May 2, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Sonic,
I ended up at the same place as you did. Just got the 801 yesterday. Walked into the store with an ipod, protector, and JH13's and spent 1/2 hour or so auditioning the 801s. I decided to wait a bit (hoping for the next edition of the 801's - the 802's? with better battery life and/or better way of recharging while traveling (stuck with a 220v adaptor). But walking away and listing to the ipod, I noticed how different it sounded in comparison to the 801, so I returned to the store and bought it. Got a 32GB sound card and am working to fill it up now.

Nice, listen to some 96/24 FLAC files from Chesky Records and be prepared to be blown off you feet from sound quality I wouldn't hesitate to call...perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very....very nice setup. Hi-fi SQ on the go!

Thanks, it very much is...

May 3, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #52 of 60
Nice setup,

I'm not poo-pooing the setup, you can't get better for a semi-portable. But if I were looking into spending as much as you have on a portable, I wouldn't have. I would have bought a nice home rig. It would have been understandable if you already did have a home rig but...

I don't know how much you move around or anything though, but there must be a reason.

May 3, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrumpOrMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice setup,

I'm not poo-pooing the setup, you can't get better for a semi-portable. But if I were looking into spending as much as you have on a portable, I wouldn't have. I would have bought a nice home rig. It would have been understandable if you already did have a home rig but...

I don't know how much you move around or anything though, but there must be a reason.

I'm not home much so something that I can bring along with me that sounds amazing was a must. You really need to hear this setup it will change your perception on the limitations of portable Hi-Fi. I wouldn't hesitate to compare my portable or, well, transportable setup to any high end home setup. It may not best them all but it would put up a really good fight. The HiFiMAN's DAC can compete with high end home DAC's such as the Grace M902 or Benchmark DAC. The Protector has been proven to best some $800+ home amplifiers. The JH13 Pro can easily compete with the best of the best full size headphones. Add that up and you have a mighty fine portable setup. =)

May 7, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #54 of 60
The Protector is seriously spooky, it's over 200 hours now in burn in. The soundstage is absolutely incredible. Instruments seem to literally be floating around your head in their own little space.                                                                                      

May 7, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #55 of 60
Quote:
The Protector is seriously spooky, it's over 200 hours now in burn in. The soundstage is absolutely incredible. Instruments seem to literally be floating around your head in their own little space.                                                                                      

Stop making me  jealous :/

May 8, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #56 of 60

Quote:

That's exactly how I feel when using my ALO Rx. Everything is just.... there. Like I'm actually at the place and hearing the music live.... It's truly amazing. 

May 9, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #57 of 60

Quote:
Hi Sonic,

The more people ask Head-Direct for a more portable charging solution, the more likely and quickly it will happen.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/490663/request-thread-for-smaller-lighter-portable-charger-for-hm-801

It has already been considered before, but unless there is enough vocal interest, it might not happen.

-Ed

May 11, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #59 of 60
It's funny how portable setups here seem to end with the JH-13s :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back