The Ultimate Headphone Sacrifice...
Sep 8, 2006 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Scotty757

500+ Head-Fier
So, I understand that I'm a relative noob around here with my modest 300 or so posts, but I dare say I'm about to make a sacrifice worthy of the most intense of headphone junkies.

I really want a SinglePower MPX3, but currently find myself without sufficient funds. Ah, the constant predicament.
frown.gif
But how to rectify this situation...? (read below, pun most DEFINITELY intended)

Here is where being a medical student and living in the largest medical center in the world pays off...(if you can call it that)
blink.gif

There is a group across the street doing a study on Norwalk Virus. (For those of you who don't know, Norwalk is commonly know as the "Cruise-ship Virus." When hundreds of people on the ship get sick at the same time, its usually Norwalk). In this study, subjects are given different loads of pure Norwalk virus, then their health and stool is monitered to determine how the virus is handled and cleared by the body.

A 3 day hospital stay is required, and symptoms are (generally) nausea, vomiting, and intense diarrhea. After the hospital stay, I will be required to crap in a cooler and bring it in for the next 21 days.

Compensation for participation in this experiment: 1300 bones! Coincidentally, almost enough to get me that SinglePower.

Now, call me a noob if you like, but I challenge you to find someone more dedicated to getting the gear they want
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 46
dude, you need to find some serious help... really

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 46
Perhaps "ultimate" was too strong a word. Sure sounded good though...

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 46
Hmmm. Can doing this build up your immunities against the virus? I would personally never want to do it, although 1300 bucks does have a nice sound to it. Have fun with that cooler part.
tongue.gif

What do your friends/parents think about it?

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 46
You're in Houston? Crap man, where do I sign up? My ears could use $1,300
600smile.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 46
"For further information, contact study staff at 713-798-7542 or e-mail Norwalk@bcm.edu." Drop me a PM if you're gonna do it, I'll let you know how it goes!

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 46
I've had a few middle aged rich ladies pay me to spank me in panties to pay for my rig.....just kidding

Congratulations! Achieving the MPX3 would be like the slogan of the luxury hotel, the Waldorf Astoria that goes something like "You've arrived". And with an MPX3, you've arrived. Congratulations on getting an amp of Park Avenue status. Welcome to the uptown of amps.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
dude, you need to find some serious help... really

I agree. I would never ever have any virus like that injected into me... The thought of anyone doing that to get this singlepower thing is just mind blowing

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 46
From an enjoyment perspective it is definitely not worth it for me.

I suppose you would be doing medical science a favor though.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 46
why oh why don't i live in texas, land of the guinea pigs? rats! i mean, guinea pigs!

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
I agree. I would never ever have any virus like that injected into me... The thought of anyone doing that to get this singlepower thing is just mind blowing

I guess I'm going to have to question your knowledge of the virus then...or your logic.

Norwalk is completely cleared in 3-4 days, and has no long-term physiologic consequences.

To me, 3 days of (possible) discomfort is worth years of sonic enjoyment. If its not to you...fine, but don't be rude about it.

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 46
Scotty: Dang you're hardcore! I dunno if I would ever do that but I gotta give props to you for pushing yourself through that for a Singlepower amp! When are you going to get injected with the Norwalk? Anyways, happy listenig!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 46
I don't see what the problem is if it's a virus that's not considered to be serious and easily curable. And it is a virus, not chemical exposure. We're not talking about radiation or Agent Orange or asbestos. Cigarettes can kill you, not some little virus experiment in a controlled setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back