The ultimate DIY recable!
Sep 28, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #16 of 27

Quote:
So you're a cable seller that believes cables don't make an audible difference? (Vegeta voice) "How bizzarre."

No, I'm a cable maker who doesn't really care one way or the other. What I design I design for my own subjective pleasure. Whether that subjective pleasure is due to actual audible differences or something else doesn't really matter to me.

Quote:
So you make the Q just for cosmetic / Aesthetic purposes from the LCD-2 stock cable?... Is this right to assume?

Cosmetics/aesthetics certainly play a role. Bottom line, I ultimately want something that, to me, sounds good, looks good, feels good, and when possible, even smells good. Or, as I said to someone earlier today, first I make sure I get the basics right and after that I feed my soul. I don't listen to reproduced music just to satisfy some purely objective goal.

Quote:
There's no audible difference in sound?

I don't know. All I know is that to date no one has demonstrated conclusively that there is, at least when whatever differences there are are below known thresholds. And because of this, I can't bring myself to adopt any sort of blind faith religious belief that there are audible differences. But as I said previously, ultimately it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. If it could be shown conclusively and unambiguously that there aren't, I wouldn't do anything different than I'm doing now.

se

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 27
^ The perfect cable maker right there, love your business philosophy. The aesthetics of your Q cable are fantastic, by the way. :)

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #19 of 27
I have very sophisticated equipment for measuring cable performance and sonic parameters which include but are not limited to soundstage width, depth and height, tonal balance, frequency extremes, inner detail, dynamics, micro dynamics, layering, sound pressure levels, harmonic detail. Unfortunately I cannot hook my equipment up to a printer.

I tested the Q headphone cable with my equipment and it bested the stock cable that came with my LCD-2's.  

Supersurfer send me one of your DIY cables to test.

Oct 1, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #20 of 27
I'm with you on the re-cabling thing surfer. The material used for the wire has a pretty big impact on sound character. Also the material used for insulation, wire diameter, solid or stranded, like you said because of the "skin effect" has a real impact on sound. I guess most people don't understand this and haven't experienced the changes in sound in just changing wire.

I'm getting ready to re-cable my Koss portapro 25th ann. with 205006-005BLA - HAVEFlex Stereo Audio iPod Breakout Cable, Mini TRS (3.5mm) since the gland on the koss is so hard the wire broke on the inside close to the gland. This cable looks pretty robust and it should be easy to solder to the headphones. In this case I think the wire is sufficient quality and I am more interested in the wire lasting longer. I hate to clip off the RCA connecters, but I'll save them for some other future product. BTW I love your re-cable pics, It looks nice bro. I'll post my pics as soon as I get my wire in.

Oct 1, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
Supersurfer: If you've found all this out for yourself with little spoiler digging I'm impressed. I pieced it together and then experimented myself. And yes Scooter; cotton is the most ideal di-electric, right behind air, and behind cotton is teflon, but it's somewhat 20-30% less ideal than cotton. However, cotton has it's own flaws and sometimes the best results can be from comibining cotton dielectric and shielding + a good geometry + quality metals. And if you look at the crystal piccolino design -the ultimate no cost design cable- that's a whole new beast, albeit so expensive and marketed that it's "not worth it's weight" in gold.

Supersurfer; I've found all this and more to be true, however - there's hardly anyone around here who debates the benefits of analog cable upgrades, (speaker/headphone/line-level) geometries or designs, accept the noobs. The cable that's hotly debated is digital signal cable or line level cable, such as usb or fiber optic..

But even though fiber optic is a digital signal it's still traveling through an analog line. (cheaper fiber plastics and alloys often have imperfection). As such quartz / Glass are the best fiber cables. Usb is a little trickier, but many here (including myself) have found small to large differences between usb cable.

Edit; Btw, Welcome to Head-fi!

I can't believe people would argue about a better digital cable! I mean seriously, how can a bunch of ones and zeros become "better" ones and zeros, by means of switching to a fiber optic cable. The only reason to use fiber optics is you can transmit way more data in the same diameter of cable than a copper wire. I have a hard time wrapping my head around people hotly debating that. Oh God I probably just got someone all puckered up! Remember folks I will gladly give 100% of your money back if you are not satisfied with this post.

Oct 1, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #22 of 27
I can't believe people would argue about a better digital cable! I mean seriously, how can a bunch of ones and zeros become "better" ones and zeros, by means of switching to a fiber optic cable. The only reason to use fiber optics is you can transmit way more data in the same diameter of cable than a copper wire. I have a hard time wrapping my head around people hotly debating that. Oh God I probably just got someone all puckered up! Remember folks I will gladly give 100% of your money back if you are not satisfied with this post. 

Nah, it's cool. ; ) It was a (skillful) well written post. The one (and only) thing we are 'entitled' to is our opinion based through our experiences. :wink: In my case I actually spent a week or so demoing lots... and lots.. of cable. (digital) Also hearing a large variety of headphone recables out there has also been neat.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #23 of 27

Quote:
No, I'm a cable maker who doesn't really care one way or the other. What I design I design for my own subjective pleasure. Whether that subjective pleasure is due to actual audible differences or something else doesn't really matter to me.

Cosmetics/aesthetics certainly play a role. Bottom line, I ultimately want something that, to me, sounds good, looks good, feels good, and when possible, even smells good. Or, as I said to someone earlier today, first I make sure I get the basics right and after that I feed my soul. I don't listen to reproduced music just to satisfy some purely objective goal.

I don't know. All I know is that to date no one has demonstrated conclusively that there is, at least when whatever differences there are are below known thresholds. And because of this, I can't bring myself to adopt any sort of blind faith religious belief that there are audible differences. But as I said previously, ultimately it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. If it could be shown conclusively and unambiguously that there aren't, I wouldn't do anything different than I'm doing now.

se

I completely agree, if it ends up sounding good, it ends up sounding good and thats great.

Big thumbs up for this post.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
I have very sophisticated equipment for measuring cable performance and sonic parameters which include but are not limited to soundstage width, depth and height, tonal balance, frequency extremes, inner detail, dynamics, micro dynamics, layering, sound pressure levels, harmonic detail. Unfortunately I cannot hook my equipment up to a printer.

I tested the Q headphone cable with my equipment and it bested the stock cable that came with my LCD-2's.  

Supersurfer send me one of your DIY cables to test.

I also have very sophisticated equipment for measuring sonic performance; my ears! All other measuring equipment has the difficulty of interpreting the measurments...........

If you want to test my cable, you better build it yourself because I think you would want to keep it after listening.

Regards,

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #26 of 27

Quote:
I also have very sophisticated equipment for measuring sonic performance; my ears! All other measuring equipment has the difficulty of interpreting the measurements...........

If you want to test my cable, you better build it yourself because I think you would want to keep it after listening.

Regards,

Thats the same equipment I use for my measurements!  They are vintage instruments as well.  Haven't been able to hook them up to a printer yet to print out graphs and charts.   I'd build your cables but I'm all thumbs.  Best if you send me a spare set. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #27 of 27
Kudos to OP, but the non-believers deserve to enjoy the inferior cables.

Also no way one could fully realize the benefits of cables without diy and trying things. But those audiophiles are absolutely entitled to buy/sell/buy/sell over and again and enjoy their overpriced high-end gears with some colored sounding.
wink_face.gif

If I am a dap maker, I could easily switch a few caps to alter the sounding between versions and the buyers have no idea how inexpensive that would be to do compared to the high-end gear sell price tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back